Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hello Everybody! I finally got around to getting my traditional display case shot done, so here it is! I thank you all for your comments of encouragement, advice and support during the build and after. You all helped more than you can imagine. Thank you, David G.
  3. In working with resin bodies, you generally don't have the luxury of molded plastic windows. Some providers can provide vacuum formed windows but often I am left with creating them out of acetate sheet. Gluing them in without making a total mess is often the hardest part of a build. Anybody with any great suggestions?
  4. They finished reroofing my garage , went from shingles to 1" standing seam 26 gauge metal and no more squirrels in the garage . ☺️
  5. Thanks! I'm having a hard time getting acetate windows glued in without making a total mess of things. Any suggestions?
  6. Great to see this build here. Do post any issues your guys come across as it will be helpful. I see the build will be of the 1046 chassis. BTW is the tan underside just a primer? It will be interesting to see how this group project turns out.
  7. Thanks Dave. I wanted a different look for this one than the usual Moss/Jenkinson plus I'm a huge Fangio fan and I have a habit of complicating things for myself...so still no OOB project for me. Thank you Alex, that's what I was trying to do with this, grimy smelly end of race look. Thank you Donato. Blood, sweat and tears on this one. I need a more straightforward project for my next build.
  8. You've done a lot of work here. Interesting choice of material with the Renshape. I'm interested to see how you finish it.
  9. Pretty kewl looking little 64 Mustang there Michael. Came out Great.
  10. I hoard up any wheel-backs that I come across, they come in handy for adapting odd wheels on a build. On the one-piece wheels, I saw off that "factory" nub or cut it way down.
  11. Today
  12. I have used the clear pearl (TS-65) over white primer with success. The effect is the same in the end.
  13. I started using paper clips and staples, which are not even close to being round items. Then onto floral wire which is strong enough and cheap. I use a lot of .093" Evergreen tubing that has an .048" hole thru it. I can use plastic or brass rod to make strong joints. In general my go-to metal items are 1/32" and 3/64" brass rod. I have a few lengths of .031" stainless steel pins that come in handy. Most used lengths are 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4".
  14. Welcome to the site Steve. Fishing, Racing, and model building all sounds Great but retiring at 53 is nice man.
  15. You would probably be better using the clear pearl. The only time i used the white pearl i found it took a lot of paint to get it to cover grey primer and until it was covered it looked blotchy rather than even
  16. Very clean build and true to showroom stock except for that purple, which if offered would have been popular as it looks really good here. Well done Dan Cheers, David. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
  17. Oh if only, I'd love to see the CL9000 back on the shelves. What beautiful cabover they were!
  18. That's a nice looking engine in 1/32. The Revell kits are nice, but they are really designed for kids & beginners, in my opinion. These Ertl 1/32 kits are really another level, although, as you mentioned, the wheels & tires are a little small. I'm really hoping that Round2 will reissue these 1/32 kits. They're released everything else multiple times, so why not!
  19. Hi, I'm building an AMT 1949 Ford Coupe and am almost ready to paint the body. The object of the model is to have it look like I would have done a prototype back in my late teens - if I had the money/skills. When I bought the kit, I decided to paint it a pearl white, and picked up a can of Tamiya Pearl White (TS45). But now I'm wondering if this will look right or not - totally being pearl white. My reason for writing is to throw out an idea...... The kit is formed in white plastic. If I painted it a gloss blue (the interior is shades of blue), and then sprayed over it with the Pearl White, what would be the result? Would the pearl white just cover up the blue, or would it result in a "pearl blue/white", or would it look like a blue car with white particles spread all over it? So my question is, have any of you tried using pearl white in a way different from the straight color? Or ? Your help and comments are greatly appreciated!
  20. Cool 240z there Nigel, well done. Cheers, David. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
  21. I was driving around running some errands yesterday,when I came across an old model RXR club/museum.I wasn’t sure if they were still open.I pulled up to the building and noticed an elderly gentleman outside.I asked him if the museum was still open,since the sign was still up.He informed me that he had closed the museum about five years ago,because he was suffering from cancer,and most of the club members had either moved away,or passed away.He stated that the giant(Lionel) layout was still up,& sort of running..And the entire thing was for sale.This is some of what he showed me(there were a lot of other boxed up trains in another room for sale as well).I was just blown away.He's asking around 10K or so for everything.I do believe I may have two friends of mine,along with myself,that might make the investment.🀞I hope..
  22. Very appealing colour combo there Mike, well done. Cheers, David. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
  1. Load more activity