One thing that caught my eye, was the decal sheet. Like all of the early 427 Cobra kits monogram did, it had two license plates in it one that says "COBRA" and one that says "CSX 3181" So Idecided that I wanted to do a build of that actual car. Ironicly you can build either the 427 S/C kit, or the 427 Street kit, and still build an accurate model of CSX3181.
Here is how CSX3181 looked when it was new
The photos of the white car is a car that was equipped just like CSX3181 except that it has the round taillamps where CSX3181 had the early style rectangular lights, The car was wrecked by it's original owner shortly after it was new so few actual photos exist from that time. When the car was repaired, it was upgraded to 427 S/C specs. But seeing how I wanted to build a street Cobra i decided to do the model the way it looked originally. Through talking with several guys over at the SAAC and looking through several referance books, I was able to determine these facts about the car when it left the factory...
1. It was equipped with the 390hp 427 with 2x4bbl carbs.
2. It was equipped with the halibrand "sunburst" wheels
3. It was built with the wide S/C fenders as opposed to the narrow ones on CSX3125 - CSX3158
4. It was equipped with the oil cooler scoop under the grill
5. it was white with a black interior
this of course created a problem; There was no Halibrand Sunburst Wheel in 1/25 scale. this put the project on hold for quite a while when I tried to figure out how to scratchbuild one. After a few failed attemts I figured out how to build the wheel up in layers. using the computer I created drawings for what would make up each layer of detail. in total there are 23 individual pieces in the original. Don at Reliable Resin Cast copies for me to use in my builds.
Here is the in progress shot of the master
So there you have it, 3 years of research, 20 hours of Drawing on the computer, 65 hours of scratch building, and I have... A wheel!...Ok actually I have four of them, but now I can build the Cobra I always wanted to. I'm currently cleaning up the body, and filling in the sidepipe holes. Next up is making the inner fenders the monogram kit lacks.
Edited by Casey, 18 November 2012 - 03:58 PM.