Model Cars Magazine Forum

What does NNL stand for?

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is driving me crazier.

I am back to the hobby after a long absence and was able to figure out what NNL meant from the context, but what in the heck do the letters stand for. Not Now Larry, None No Lirorice, Nasty Nasty Limburger, What????????

TIA

Bud

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is driving me crazier.

I am back to the hobby after a long absence and was able to figure out what NNL meant from the context, but what in the heck do the letters stand for. Not Now Larry, None No Lirorice, Nasty Nasty Limburger, What????????

TIA

Bud

it stands for Nameless National Luminaries, it's a model club whose contests are not judged, models are displayed and enjoyed, i think there are people's choice awards.

• Like 1

:lol: Bud It all started back in Ohio,When some modelers had a get together and invited some other modelers they thought might like to show their cars.Well the invited guys didn't show and the holders of the get together dubbed them(the no shows) the NNL's Cause they were some really good modelers in the hobby,who didn't come.It's just a joke type name among some good freinds, but the idea took off and now it's a regular get together around the nation for car modelers. :lol:

You guys are almost right.

First, it is NOT a model club, as stated above.

The history of the first NNL in Ohio, was documented by Tim Boyd in an issue of MCM about 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe Gregg will see this and tell you what issue it was.

Mark Gustavson, in the 1980's tried to put together a very serious judged model car contest in Salt Lake. He invited the very best modelers from around the nation and the world to attend. This was going to be the very best of the elite in the hobby. If I recall, only 3 people responded to his invitations.

He later wrote a somewhat angry ediorial piece in Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine calling the invitees the national luminaries of the hobby who will remain nameless.

A few good modelers and friends in Ohio decided to meet the next year in one of their garages just to show off their latest builds. They called themselves the National Nameless Luminaries. The get-together became an annual thing, just to look at each other's work with no competeion of any kind among them. They outgrew the garage and their "little get-together" grew into the National NNL in Toledo. Eventually a theme or two was added each year and by people's choice, a small award was given out for the most votes in the theme(s) category. Many more NNL's started up around the country as non-judged modelling events, also with an annual theme.

Today, the Toledo NNL draws about 800-1000 models and some of the best car modelers in the nation.

The largest NNL in the world is NNL EAST, drawing at least 1000 people and 1500-1800 car models.

And there's your history lesson for today. kids. :lol:

Edited by Lyle Willits

You guys are almost right.

First, it is NOT a model club, as stated above.

The history of the first NNL in Ohio, was documented by Tim Boyd in an issue of MCM about 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe Gregg will see this and tell you what issue it was.

Mark Gustavson, in the 1980's tried to put together a very serious judged model car contest in Salt Lake. He invited the very best modelers from around the nation and the world to attend. This was going to be the very best of the elite in the hobby. If I recall, only 3 people responded to his invitations.

He later wrote a somewhat angry ediorial piece in Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine calling the invitees the national luminaries of the hobby who will remain nameless.

A few good modelers and friends in Ohio decided to meet the next year in one of their garages just to show off their latest builds. They called themselves the National Nameless Luminaries. The get-together became an annual thing, just to look at each other's work with no competeion of any kind among them. They outgrew the garage and their "little get-together" grew into the National NNL in Toledo. Eventually a theme or two was added each year and by people's choice, a small award was given out for the most votes in the theme(s) category. Many more NNL's started up around the country as non-judged modelling events, also with an annual theme.

Today, the Toledo NNL draws about 800-1000 models and some of the best car modelers in the nation.

The largest NNL in the world is NNL EAST, drawing at least 1000 people and 1500-1800 car models.

And there's your history lesson for today. kids. :blink:

The original cast of the NNL included Host with the Most - Tom Woodruff, Tim Boyd, Chuck Helppie, Bob Bost, Alan Cozby, Gary Dale, and myself. I can't remember if others were there or not. Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone. Lyle has the story essentially correct about the formation of the NNL except that only one person entered Mark Gustafson's contest.......me! I was actually the named National Luminary except my luminescence is not that bright. The first Toledo NNL was held in the Toledo Turnpike Motel in Jim Kampmannn and my room. Models were placed on the nightstands and credenza. Gary Schmidt and several others were there also. The next year it got bigger and Mark G. showed up! Those were great times and wonderful memories.

Andy Martin

The original cast of the NNL included Host with the Most - Tom Woodruff, Tim Boyd, Chuck Helppie, Bob Bost, Alan Cozby, Gary Dale, and myself. I can't remember if others were there or not. Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone. Lyle has the story essentially correct about the formation of the NNL except that only one person entered Mark Gustafson's contest.......me! I was actually the named National Luminary except my luminescence is not that bright. The first Toledo NNL was held in the Toledo Turnpike Motel in Jim Kampmannn and my room. Models were placed on the nightstands and credenza. Gary Schmidt and several others were there also. The next year it got bigger and Mark G. showed up! Those were great times and wonderful memories.

Andy Martin

.....and that very first get together was at Tom Woodruff's garage/house in Jackson Center, Ohio.