Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Ford Sedan Delivery WIP (DONE - Apr 18/06)

S10man

This is a project I started recently. I was not happy with the stock chassis, so I modified the chassis from a Polar Lights Torino Taledega. I plan to use the 427 engine and all the running gear from that kit. This shows the chassis modifications and extra bracing, along with the suspension pieces loosly taped in place to check for fit.

chassis1.jpg

Then I sectioned the body about 1/8" and made a pancake hood. I frenched the headlights and added a recessed license plate to the rear door.

bodyprimer.jpg

The engine is the Taledega 427 which I just got together tonight.

engine1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Here's a quick pic showing the exhaust system mock up. Its basically large diameter solder, hollow styrene tube for the mufflers and hollow aluminum tube for the extensions. I need to make some flanges to connect the pipe to the headers. Thanks for looking;

chassisexhaust.jpg

The engine has been installed, rad was BMF'd and hooked up, fuel tank in with line to engine, exhaust and headers connected. Its coming along. Lots of little detail and touch up still to do. Thanks for looking.

engine4.jpg

chassis3.jpg

Finally got some paint on it today. I used Mac-Tac as a mask and was quite pleased with the results. There is virtually no bleed-through and I only have some minor touch ups to do. Its a great technique that I'll try again. The masking has just come off so there is lots of clean up to do, but I had to share this 'cause I'm so relieved that it worked so well. Bill

paintprelim.jpg

So-Cal Speedshop lives!

What is this "Mac-Tac" you mentioned?

Yeah, I saw the So-Cal HHR and thought it looked kind of cool. Mac-Tac is one of those pressure sensitive vinyl coatings that you can get for covering shelves or windows. I have a roll of it that sort of looks like stained glass. You peel off the backing and stick it in place. Its very thin, quite flexible, but stong and not affected by the paint. It was an experiment, and it worked.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got this one finished. The paint was a real hassle, and its been painted about 3 times now and is fairly satisfactory, but not perfect. The body was sectioned and the hood pancaked, frame is from a Taledega NASCAR car, with 427 engine, all wiring, plumbing and brake lines. I scratchbuilt the custom air cleaner and dual exhaust with aluminum tips. It has 4 wheel disc brakes inside chrome reverse rims on Goodyear rubber. Thanks for looking.

40forddone1.jpg

40fordone3.jpg

40forddone2.jpg

Guest BrianR

Looking real good.

Pancaking the hood took care of the hood fit problem the delivery has, I'll have to remember that for the next one I try.

Looks real nice.I like the paint job.I think it is way above "satisfactory"

I have a dumb question..what do you mean by "pancake the hood"

Thanks,

Gary

Gary....basically it means slicing the hood horizontally and molding the lower part to the body, leaving only the top "pancake" as a hood. Bill