#21 cargostar

cargostar

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Supply and demand...
How many places carry replacement parts for '57 Chevys???
How many for IH's????

Just like model building, the aftermarket/suppliers know what parts (or kits) are fast moving, and what isn't.
For every part that is sold for an IH, 20 to 30 times more are sold for a Big 3 vehicle, so the same amount of profit for the manufactuer has to be made on fewer parts sold.It's slowly turning around, and that is being addressed, but, its a long road.

#22 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

Whoa.

So that's what heaven looks like... or, if not heaven, at least a place I'd like to spend a few months visiting!

Edited by Chuck Most, 15 September 2009 - 09:32 AM.

#23 cargostar

cargostar

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

I hear that alot!!!!
I think at last count there were 264 out there....

#24 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:47 AM

i remember seeing a tip on fixing the sloppy interior tub to body fit somewhere. i don't know why this kit appeals to me as much as it does, i have 4 of them and everytime i see another i still pick it up and think about getting more.

was the last realese of this kit with the off-road racer options the one with the little Diorama base? i think they were called Dream Scapes or something ?

Dave

I think the 'Dreamscapes' kit was actually the Jeepster Commando. I saw that kit at Dean's a couple of days ago and it jogged my memory of this thread. I know it's a bit late, but there's yer answer. The last (most recent) reissue of the Scout was the 'Hot Trucks' version and the plain (blue background) issues of about three years ago. This was the standard kit with the roof, no 'custom' parts aside from an optional CB radio and antenna were included. These kits also include some incorrectly-sized 'Rallye' decals in white, and were molded in white or light gray. I've seen only these and the original, late '70s issues (SSII, Off Road, and standard- usually molded in color), I've never seen any '80's or '90's issues of the Scout II kit- but that's not to say the kit was not rereleased in those decades.

#25 cargostar

cargostar

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

They were never reissued in the 80's or 90's. I believe 2005 was the first reissue.

#26 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

It's not terribly hard to remove a bit of material from the top of the grilles (they've got a curve that's much too pronounced) and then carefully bend/flatten the leading edge of the hood to match. Most people also don't mask off the chrome and paint the body color surround (or strip/paint the whole thing and detail with BMF). With a little extra care and detail even the reissue grille/hood can look quite good.

Here's a quick comparison I did with two kits, the one on the left is modified and primed/detailed.

Posted Image

Here's an original SSII that I built, leaving the butterscotch colored body unpainted (wish I'd figured out the grille/hood modification, but bending the hood would likely have meant the color of the plastic might have been affected):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Would be fun if they'd reissue this one too.

I just tried out Bob's trick of bending the hood- and man, it's quite a bit less tedious than the method I was using! It's one of those 'why didn't I think of that on my own' deals, for sure! You still have to remove a bit of material to get everything looking decent, but Bob's way is way less messy than mine!

Oh- and don't forget to add the hood peak, absent from the kit hood.

Now it's onto reshaping the grille and adding clear headlamp bezels.