Model Cars Magazine Forum

'30 Ford 5-window, chopped and channeled

Bernard Kron

DSCF7102-web.jpg

30 Ford 5-window Coupe, 4â€x4†chop and channel, Buick Nailhead power

(More pictures below)

Nothing says Hot Rod like a chopped and channeled Model A Coupe. When I saw the announcement for the Monogram 1/24 scale 30 Ford 5 window coupe this immediately popped into my head. It turned out to be a real kit basher’s delight. The only parts from the Monogram ‘30 Ford kit are the seat and the main body. The paint is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green with Testors DullCoat to give it a suede finish. The chassis is from the AMT Phantom Vicky with the IFS deleted and a resin dropped front axle and hairpins from Early Years Resin substituted. The headlights, front shocks and steering gear and taillights are from the Revell ’32 Ford series of kits. The wheels are the chrome reversed rims from the Revell ’49 Merc kit with the centers painted red. The tires are resin from The Part Box.com. The motor is built up from a Buick Nailhead block and heads from the Revell Tommy Ivo Showboat kit with a street motor conversion kit from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland providing the accessory drive, transmission and oil pan. The intake manifold, carbs and fan are from the AMT ‘40 Ford Sedan Delivery which also supplied the hubcaps. The exhaust pipes are from The Parts Box.com. The floor pan is from the Phantom Vicky. The dashboard is from the AMT ’37 Chevy modified to take a p/e gauge cluster from Replicas & Miniatures. The steering wheel is an AMT ’49 Ford item. The grille shell is a 6†chopped Deuce shell from Model Car Garage. The door handles and window cranks are from Ed Fluck at Drag City Castings. Anything else is scratch built.

The detailed W.I.P. can be found here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21574

Thanx for lookin’.

DSCF7105-web.jpg

DSCF7104-web.jpg

DSCF7101-web.jpg

DSCF7097-web.jpg

DSCF7107-web.jpg

DSCF7108-web.jpg

DSCF7079-web.jpg

DSCF7048-web.jpg

DSCF7049-web.jpg

Edited by gbk1

Bernard,

It looks like this one came together exactly as you had planned!!

I think that the suede finish on the body really serves as an excellent background to highlight the colors and details on the engine!!

Where do you and Curt get the time to finish so many models?!

Later,

Thanx for the kind words everyone. :angry:

This was a real "action build", a totally unplanned improvisation based on a picture in my head. Even the paint was an experiment. Basically, I chopped the top and then went out to my stash and started staring at boxes looking for the "right" parts. I probably spent more time staring than building! But sometimes this way of working results in one's best stuff. Regardless, it's certainly tons of fun, that's for sure!

With great power comes great responsibility. Nailhead, There IS no substitute

Great job...

:):) Thnx Txrat! :lol: Nailheads can become addictive. I try to limit myself to 1-2 per year… What is it about vertical valve covers that is so seductive?

I've got to say that I've been lovin' this recent Model A frenzy! Your coupe is one of the best of the breed!

Thanx Dan! The frenzy isn’t quite over. There are still some very cool builds that some great modelers have on the way, particularly the sub-cult of conversions to the ‘29 cowl and some gorgeous full fendered period street machines. Stay tuned…

Like I said, that Model A 5-window produces some seriously powerful hot rod vibes!

I think you've just talked me into trying a suede paint job. I was wondering about this pastel green at first, but it really grows on ya.

Nice work!

Thanx Alyn. The pearlescent paint, when toned down with the DullCote takes on a nice worn patina that really suits the Old School vibe of this build. Frankly it was a pure instinct thing. I shot the pearl and it was too slick for the lines and stance of this build. So I did a test shot of DullCote over the pearl green thinking I would then buff it out to a semi gloss. But it looked so “right†I just stopped right there! BTW, I totally dug v.1 of the Bonneville racer – I never can get enough of a well done tubular chassis fabrication – and now I’m diggin’ v.2. The inner body work has got me thinkin’ about my early 50’s ’29 A drag car…

Wow...I love this build...great stance perfect period hot rod, great job.

Thanx David! Just don’t look at the frame since it’s mainly modern. But these Model A 5-windows just scream Traditional Hot Rod!

And speaking of nicely done interior body framing (as I was above), how’s the ’32 roadster coming along?

B.

DSCF7102-web.jpg

30 Ford 5-window Coupe, 4â€x4†chop and channel, Buick Nailhead power

(More pictures below)

Nothing says Hot Rod like a chopped and channeled Model A Coupe. When I saw the announcement for the Monogram 1/24 scale 30 Ford 5 window coupe this immediately popped into my head. It turned out to be a real kit basher’s delight. The only parts from the Monogram ‘30 Ford kit are the seat and the main body. The paint is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green with Testors DullCoat to give it a suede finish. The chassis is from the AMT Phantom Vicky with the IFS deleted and a resin dropped front axle and hairpins from Early Years Resin substituted. The headlights, front shocks and steering gear and taillights are from the Revell ’32 Ford series of kits. The wheels are the chrome reversed rims from the Revell ’49 Merc kit with the centers painted red. The tires are resin from The Part Box.com. The motor is built up from a Buick Nailhead block and heads from the Revell Tommy Ivo Showboat kit with a street motor conversion kit from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland providing the accessory drive, transmission and oil pan. The intake manifold, carbs and fan are from the AMT ‘40 Ford Sedan Delivery which also supplied the hubcaps. The exhaust pipes are from The Parts Box.com. The floor pan is from the Phantom Vicky. The dashboard is from the AMT ’37 Chevy modified to take a p/e gauge cluster from Replicas & Miniatures. The steering wheel is an AMT ’49 Ford item. The grille shell is a 6†chopped Deuce shell from Model Car Garage. The door handles and window cranks are from Ed Fluck at Drag City Castings. Anything else is scratch built.

The detailed W.I.P. can be found here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21574

Thanx for lookin’.

DSCF7105-web.jpg

DSCF7104-web.jpg

DSCF7101-web.jpg

DSCF7097-web.jpg

DSCF7107-web.jpg

DSCF7108-web.jpg

DSCF7079-web.jpg

DSCF7048-web.jpg

DSCF7049-web.jpg

Pretty daggone nifty, GBK! All of the various elements mesh extremely well! You have the "eye", my friend!