#41 Billy Kingsley

Billy Kingsley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Full Name:Billy

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

I've been fortunate in that I've been able to get pretty much everything I've ever wanted. But, when I get the top of my list, the next highest thing becomes "Grail #1".

Right now it's an original, unbuilt AMT 59 Edsel kit.

In the past it was the 60 El Camino, the 69 El Camino, 66 Impala, 60 Edsel, and believe it or not, the original issue 78 L'il Red Express Dodge pickup. I've been able to buy unbuilt, mint, save the 66 Chevy which was started, examples of each of these kits.

#42 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:30 AM

I am not sure if this fits the "Rare" catergory...expenxive yes, but not sure they are rare (they do come across ebay regularly).

AMT 67 Galaxie. I actually have an unbuilt one.
AMT 68 Galaxie.
AMT 66-69 Ford Falcon

These are rare and expensive...
Bandia 1/20- Fiat X 1/9. These are rare. I have 2 (LOL). One built one unbuilt.
Posted Image

Though I think my new "real grail" is that VW Fastback posted abnove...I never knew one existed. I guess one that rare defines the true meaning of Grail LOL

#43 gowjobs

gowjobs

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:24 AM

i think the company that did the opel also did the late model VW bay window bus. I remember checking their kits out but with the exchange rate and shipping it came out to about $85 US. I thought that was a bit high for their quality.
Love your meter cheater!, I wish they would reissue that & the moon mixer.

Bill Murrieta

PS Is the pierpont inn still on the coast in ventura? My wife and I spent our honeymoon there 25 yrs ago. We had the cheapo wedding! Back in the 70's the pierpont inn was the place that many a playa from los angeles took their mistress'! We also lived in carpinteria for 2 yrs...boy do I miss spot burger.

[HIJACK]
The Pierpont is still there, but now has gone a bit "upscale", as has Carpinteria (I work in Carp - the Spot is STILL the place for a killer burger).

Thanks for the kind words on my old Revell horseless carriage (T-Bone Stake) build - I swapped over to VW power and went fenderless, just like I would if I ever built it in 1:1. Like you, I'm a VW guy:
Posted Image
Posted Image

[/HIJACK]

#44 oldcars

oldcars

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Stamey

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

Aurora snap kit 1/24th Daytona Coupe. Someday, maybe? :D

#45 Steve H.

Steve H.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Full Name:Steve

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

Gotta be a sealed Uncertain "T"... I've seen many builtups, open box, etc... on eBay, but very few sealed kits. When they are on eBay, they usually go for ridiculous $$$'s. Funny thing is, I have about 90% of the parts for a build, just never gotten around to starting it. :?

#46 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hmmm, The ZZR Spy car would be one of my grails, fat chance we'll ever see that one reproduced. It was changed into some kind of fire fighter rod. Of course I now have to put that Midori V-dub fastback slotcar on the list as well, and the Volvo PS1800 that Mrobsessive speaks of. I would also like to find the Toyota-7 that Otaki produced (I have the Paramount/Eidai kit) to join shelf space with the Nissan R382 I just got off of the "bay". And all of the Renwal 66 Revival kits. I know Revell has the tooling for these, c'mon Revell, howsa bout a reissue of these?

#47 BigPoppa

BigPoppa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

used to be the AAM Lincoln Mark VII(?) Scored a built up last month. Not sure what else I could need...I'll think of something

#48 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

My ZGrail....a Hussein I or II....in 1/25th. Found tha resin copy of a 60s slot car....guess I'll have to model tha rest. :wink:

:twisted: Zeb

#49 Chromecop

Chromecop

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl O Möllheden

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Well, still lotsa grails on my list...But, that VW in the first post of this thread would really fit well in my VW-collection. Also, a better (complete) Palmer Volvo P1800 would be nice, I only have an empty body....

Someone mentioned the '66 Renwal show-cars. Well, I've finally managed to get all of them!!!! That Jordan playboy and Bugatti 101-CX being the two most hard to find.

I NEVER pay any ridiculous $$$$ for my models. What I can't get for about $30-35 I just pass and wait for a better opportunity! They ARE out there You know....somewhere....

#50 gasman

gasman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:51 AM

I don't have many grails left, most of mine are sorta obtainable. but have been OOP for several years, here's a short list

AMT
VW Rabbit
VW Scirroco
MPC
Pinto Wagon
Pacer, any style
77 Volare Road Runner (Have a build up, would like one MIB)
80 Volare
71 Demon
Johan
AMC Rebel Mechine
Revell
VW Corrado
Lindberg
97 Dakota (Being Reissued :lol:
Nissan 1/20 Hardbody 4X4 (These have getten rare)
Resin
AAM S10 Blazer
AAM Mustang LX Notchback
AAM Mustang LX Hatchback

#51 declet2006

declet2006

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

i see them on ebay pretty often but i always get out bid.they are going between 30- 50 us dollars. seems kind of high for me,but when i get the chance i'll buy it just not right now.

#52 hogs29

hogs29

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

Dragon did a series of race cars sometime in the 90's, one of those being a very rare First Union sponsored BMW. I've only seen one photo of this kit built up in a contest mag, and I've never seen it listed on any of the sites.
Come to think of it, I think I've only seen one of those elusive BMW kits, in another livery, listed on Ebay a few years ago.

#53 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

I've gotten most of them. I bought a lot of models on ebay while deployed to Afghanistan. There's one that I'm still searching for, however. It's a Duesenberg made by Bandai. They made a copy of the Monogram kit and tooled up a new body for it. I've been told the body is not 100% accurate, but hey, I could fix it. They misspelled "Duesenberg" and called it 1/20 scale on the box.

#54 Modelcarjedi

Modelcarjedi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:31 PM

I want one of these really bad! It will look good setting on my shelf next to my nichimo 68 shelby kit

keith

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 gasman

gasman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

I can't believe I forgot to mention my big Holy Grail, a MIB Monogram 1/8 scale 80's Camaro. I've seen several of them on EBAY, but they always go for big bucks. I wish Revell would reissue it, or any of the other 1/8 tools out there

#56 Modellpularn

Modellpularn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

I think I have found most of my Holy Grails: Uncertain T, Monogram '55 Chevy - PC83, '66 Impala HT, the Aurora Double kits, Little T, AMT '28 tudor, Big Drag, MPC '32 Chevy panel truck, and a few others.... :wink:
Check my photobucket link; My model collection.

#57 Ken

Ken

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Kilbourn

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

I would have to say the AMT 28 tudor, does anybody re-pop that in resin? Johan's 60 Desoto or Plymouth wagon would be next. That is all I can think of right now. I got the Aoshima Celica, but another would be nice. The 70 dart will soon be attainable when the Hemi Hunter comes out. I can kit-bash with the 8 billion 68/69 darts that I have. The trunk lid will be easy to replicate as it is just flat shapes. I will come up with more as time moves on :)

#58 TimKustom

TimKustom

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Kolankiewicz

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:33 AM

Like I really need more model cars....:oops:

As far a "grails" go, I've been real fortunate to get just about any of them I've "needed".

The best one was a mint MPC 1968 Impala that a buddy GAVE me. He said I needed it.

I just got this pair at the B-ham show. Built a '68 a long time ago, always wanted another. The '68 was sealed inside, the '69 has a slight fracture in the A piller. Got a great deal on the pair.

Posted Image

Another recent addition that I looked about 6 yrs for is a Palmer '68 Impala.

The real grail though is a Bandai 1/16th scale GT40. I have one that my Dad built BITD, I pretty much trashed it as a kid, still have all the big parts minus one wheel/tire. It would take alot of work to bring it back though.

P.S. Ken, one of my grails was a AMT '28 Ford Tudor. Got a nice built up on the 'bay a couple months ago for $15. It had a typo in the title listing "28 Model A Frod"

#59 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

Ken-
I have an AMT '28 Tudor Sedan. It's MIB or nearly MIB. I got it from a guy at HHMB. I asked a question about it & one response was that they're out there "if you know where to look". Well gee, I e-mailed the guy and sure enough..... So hey- go to HHMB and ask about it. He had several at teh time. It won't be 15 bucks, though. Mine was $65.

#60 pettyfan43

pettyfan43

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

I've gotten lucky enough to score most of my grails, I LOVE MPC Mopar annuals and especially Chargers. I have most all of em. I am only missing the 72 Rally and a 73 and 74. I have some of the CUdas and Challengers plus a few other cool originals Like Johan 70 Road Runners and Superbirds. Even a JoHan 68 Chrysler 300.

Most of em I have either traded for or just lucked into at shows or through buddys.