Great product for replicating Vinyl tops!!!

• You cannot reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic

#41 edward smith

edward smith

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Full Name:Edward

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Awesome tutorial, looks like the perfect material for replicating vinyl tops. The molding strips look very much in scale also, something I have seen done before without much success. Thanks for sharing bro, you are a very talented builder.

#42 DPink

DPink

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Pink

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Walmart has vinyl real cheap. Depending on what kind you get, you might have to shave the cotton off of the back so it doesnt stick above the roof real high.

#43 meaneyme

meaneyme

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Hey Cruz, I think Dave Thibodeau stole your idea, only his was featured in Scale Auto Magazine. :lol:  Same car and color, I thought it was yours.

#44 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

I saw that Kevin but believe me, there's a lot of stuff I can learn from Dave, not the other way around...

#45 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,872 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

The Model Master vinyl top spray system (base coat & texture sprays) looked just right for the leather convertible top I need for a Mercedes classic. I went to HobbyTown USA on Thursday to get some and they were out -- in fact, when I asked, they looked in the catalog and it's not listed any more. The lady said it's probably among the products that Testors discontinued last year in the overhaul of their product line.

Looked for it online and it's shown as being out of stock.

#46 carrucha

carrucha

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Full Name:Hector Sanchez

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Good tip. Thanks!

#47 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,872 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Now that Model Master no longer makes the vinyl top paint system, any suggestions for making a leather convertible top look like this in 1/16?

GXIItopcornercopy_zpsa39aef9e.jpg

#48 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:05 AM

I got this response http://www.smartexpr...ne-Texture.html but haven't tried it. not sure if it's available in the US.

anybody ever use this:   http://www.modelcarg...t=63=

my thought, it's just contact paper?

Edited by southpier, 20 December 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#49 Chris D

Chris D

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Full Name:Chris DeHut

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:29 AM

Hi Joe,

I just did 4 cars (the 68 firebirds in the diorama section of this forum) with the model car garage vinyl top kit.  I am not sure exactly what it is but it does look good when done.  

Think of it more as a tape than a contact paper.  The tape is more plastic than paper so it is a bit elastic to help it conform to the body.  

I used both the black and the white.  The white came off the backing material easier than the black did. To get the black off I held the material on a light bulb, then quickly got a knife under the corner and started to peel it off.  This takes a lot of patience, back and forth between the light bulb and peeling.  The tape will tear very easily if you are not careful.  

The adhesive is very strong so it bonds really good - especially to itself, so again, be careful peeling the tape off the backer!

To over simplify, it is just tape on a clear backer. Cut it to the width needed, then peel it off and stick it to the roof of the car. Trim it to the molding and your done.  As mentioned above, there are some tricks and I would recommend ordering two kits just to be safe and reduce the "I only have one shot at this" pressure. The instructions explain how to get the three required strips so that you have the overlapped seam which is really needed for the proper effect.

Chris D

#50 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Graves aka "the infamous Captain Reverb"

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

I have a strip of semi-gloss latex paint that I peeled off a board (for some reason it didn't stick to the automotive primer I used) that would be perfect for replicating vinyl, it's really thin, and also has a bit of stretchiness to it.

#51 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:22 AM

.... I just did 4 cars....with the model car garage vinyl top kit.  ....

I checked the "firebirds diorama" pictures and they indeed look good. this gave me the impetus needed to give the MCG stuff a try; thanks.