12 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

Here are some pics of the 1/24 Monogram Chevy Luv High Roller kit. Just like the other kits in the High Roller series from Monogram, this one was given a taller stance via lifted suspension and big off-road tires, with the Luv's tires being Goodyear Tracker ATs:

Little attempt was made to provide an accurate, lifted suspension in this kit, as the front shocks would measure about about three feet tall on the 1:1 truck. :blink: I can't knock Monogram too much though, 'cuz this little truck looks pretty beefy on the box top:

LuvHR.jpg

Parts count and assembly both appear to be typical of early '80s Monogram kits, with a simplified V8 underhood, an accurate (though customized) body, and lots of crisply molded parts. I especially like the eight-spoke 'wagon' wheels (possibly Jackman?) and how well they work with the Goodyear Tracker AT tires. Unlike many of the other High Roller kits which included massive 44" Ground Hawg tires, these are more proportionate to the vehicle's size. The front airdam is a bit silly and the sidepipes even sillier (though accurate for the time), but the bed-mounted light bar (I dare not refer to it as a roll bar) with four large KC Highlights-knockoff lights hints at the the truck's off-road potential...until you see the rainbow stripes and "BOUNCE" graphics. :D

It's an interesting kit with lots of potential, and it's highly unlikely we'll ever see it re-issued, so if you get a chance to grab one, do so.

The cab and bed:

luvbody.jpg

Chrome parts:

luvhighroller2.jpg

Glass:

luvglass.jpg

Goodyear Tracker AT tires- note that these are not the same as the Tracker AT tires found in the Monogram Chevy Blazer and Ramcharger kits:

luvhighroller3.jpg

All together now:

luvhighroller1.jpg

luvHR1.jpg

Edited by Casey, 05 February 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#2 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

Chevy Luv Street Pick-Up:

luvwithcap.jpg

Here's the decal sheet for the Street Pick-Up:

MonoChevyLUVSPU2251.jpg

Chevy Luv Stepsider:

ChevyLuvStepsider.jpg

Mojave Mule, a Tom Daniel design:

mojave_mule.jpg

Decal sheet:

MonoMojaveMule.jpg

Edited by Casey, 09 March 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#3 Jello

Jello

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Scott

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

I have been begging Revell/Monogram to release the Luv truck kits for years! I bought all of them including the original one with a camper shell ( molded in red and white version) which I liked the best. I remember building them cause they actually went together pretty well. Also, asking them to release the Dodge Ramcharger and Chevy Blazer & truck kits ( not the High Rollers kits but that would be ok if they included the stock parts). My Dad bought the first Chevy Luv in our town and added fender flares, rollbar, bush guard, custom airbrush murals. The original color was a factory med. Butterscotch color. He traded it in a year later cause it was underpowered and even a Chevette could out run it! :D Cool truck and kit tho!
~ Jeff

#4 camaroman

camaroman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn P. Nunnally

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:23 AM

Ok guys the memory is failing... Who made the "Baja Beast" chevy LUV kit.
I believe it was molded in yellow. I remember building a street machine version from that kit "back in the day".

#5 plasticfrog

plasticfrog

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Gette

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

Awesome truck to lower... :) thanks for showing it.

#6 paularfons

paularfons

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:paul

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

CAMAMROMAN , I BELIEVE IT WAS MONOGRAM THAT DID THE CHEVY LUV IN YELLOW PLASTIC, BUT NOT AS A HIGH ROLLER KIT. I THINK THIS WAS WHEN MONOGRAM WAS OWNED BY MATTEL.IT COULD HAVE BEEN AROUND 1974?? ????????? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REFRESH MY POOR MEMORY,SOMEONE? ANYONE? THE HIGH ROLLER KITS WERE OUT IN 1978-1982??? AROUND THAT TIME EVERYONE WITH REAL CARS WERE PUTTING THEM ON 4X4 FRAMES. IT WAS A SMALL AUTOMOTIVE TREND, SIMILAR TO THE DONK CARS NOW!!!! THE WEIRDEST REAL 4X4S I SAW WERE ,A 78 LINCOLN AS A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, AND A FUNERAL FLOWER CAR AS 4X4.

Edited by paularfons, 23 February 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#7 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

I have a built ford highroller kit and the white chevy luv with cap that i built they were cool kits would love to find all the luv kits

#8 camaroman

camaroman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn P. Nunnally

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:30 AM

The Mojave Mule was another Monogram version of the Chevy Luv, designed by Tom Daniel.

That it!! Sorry 'bout the wrong desert thing!! thanks Casey!!!

#9 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

Looking at all of these cool old kits has got me wanting to dive into another 4X4 project. Darn you guys!! :lol:

Well Roger, get over here & get buildin' ;)

off-road linky

#10 70elcamino

70elcamino

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Full Name:Russell

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

I owned one several years ago, before me it was owned by a local radio station that left it outside at the bottom of a hill, and used it to drive up and work on their tower. It was painted with flat black spray paint. To start it, you had to pull a red wire that went thru the dash and connected to the carb. No heater core.It was a good truck always started and fun to drive.
Here is a picture of a picture of it.
Posted Image

And here is a pic of the model I did to resemble it, flat black paint, and red wire thru the dash It was an ebay glue bomb when I got it.
Posted Image

Thanks for looking.
Russell

#11 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

Very cool, Russell.

Look what was on the cover of the 1981 Monogram catalog, but wearing different stripes and different (bigger, perhaps?) tires and wheels:

Posted Image

#12 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

When I was looking over the second kit, I noticed the "Mikado" script on the glovebox door, and knew I had to find, scan, and post this vintage Luv ad:

Posted Image

#13 LVZ2881

LVZ2881

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Location:Las Vegas,NV, but wishing i was home in salem, oregon

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thats it!!! I'm heaed to eBay for a Luv kit or three!!!

Who was it that built the LUV for Chevy, wasnt it Isuzu??