#21 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:47 AM

One question. You mentioned tinting it. Did you just add the food coloring to the liquid? Seems logical, but you never know.

#22 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Bill, I've had very little experience with resin, so thanks for that little tidbit of information, you'd probably lose all the resin around the area you filled, so using it on resin would be a no-no! ;)

One question. You mentioned tinting it. Did you just add the food coloring to the liquid? Seems logical, but you never know.

Pete, I add about three drops to the liquid, shake it up, and it's good to go. I have tried another brand of food coloring, but it didn't seem to mix with the liquid as well, I had to shake it every time I used it. The McCormick "Neon" food coloring mixes perfectly, shake it one time and it stays mixed until the bottle is empty!

#23 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Bill, I've had very little experience with resin, so thanks for that little tidbit of information, you'd probably lose all the resin around the area you filled, so using it on resin would be a no-no! :rolleyes:

Pete, I add about three drops to the liquid, shake it up, and it's good to go. I have tried another brand of food coloring, but it didn't seem to mix with the liquid as well, I had to shake it every time I used it. The McCormick "Neon" food coloring mixes perfectly, shake it one time and it stays mixed until the bottle is empty!

Thanks, for the tip. I think I will have to make a trip to the beauty supply house soon!

#24 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

Bought the stuff last week but I need to get the food coloring this week. Your tutorial is excellent. Thanks for the tip.

#25 g1grim13

g1grim13

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:chris

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Great tutorial!

It seems there's nothing that will dissolve the filler once it's dry. Have you tried acetone? I've never used acetone for anything, and I have no idea what it does to styrene. And I hate the smell of my wife's nail polish remover. So that's a big question mark. But it would be nice if there were something that would completely remove the filler, short of sanding it off.

It looks like it would hold edges - like panel gaps - very well. True? Have you tried to re-cut repaired panel gaps with a gap cutting tool?

the acetone wont work out well it will eat the plastic i use alot of nail polish to airbrush my cars with custum colours and i use non acetone nail polish remover to thin it because of such thing and i loe the acrylic i have always wondered if it would work just never tried it but thanks and great tutorial

#26 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

the acetone wont work out well it will eat the plastic...

Thanks! Very helpful answer. Keep working hard on that English grammar.

#27 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

How does this differ from using superglue, and(...) powder? Can, or rather do... CA excelerants, and de-bonders work on this stuff, as well? Would resin tinting agents be better to use instead of food coloring?

#28 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

Probably won't be the answer you're looking for Jason, but that fingernail filler smells like hell and dries extremely hard. I tried it on my '62 Catalina. It works but next time I'll apply it near a window with a fan blowing the fumes away from me.

#29 Roger U

Roger U

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

Great tutorial Mike. Always nice to learn about new products and procedures we can use. :)

#30 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Jason, I tried the Micro Balloons & Superglue filler before finding this one, and the fact that this stuff strengthens joints was the big selling point for me, along with it's ability to hold an edge beautifully.

And Jim's right about the smell, it's awful, make sure you've got some good ventilation when you use this stuff. :)

Thanks Roger, I just hope it helps some of you guys to complete some of those "old" projects we all seem to have laying around!

Edited by Mike S., 19 April 2010 - 05:31 PM.

#31 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

I think this is worth a bump. This is good stuff. I'm going to have to give this a try.

#32 Slowpoke

Slowpoke

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Yu

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

I've been using CA + microballoons for a long time. Sounds similar. With the CA+balloons, the mix gets harder and harder the longer it sets, so rough sanding is easiest at the beginning. Will try your combo too..sounds good!

#33 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Very cool and definitely something to try.

#34 Hoosierfarmboy

Hoosierfarmboy

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Kaelin

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Mike, I used some of the acrylic powder recently. Bought a kit @ Wally World. You're right about the smell. Even outside I had to use a mask.
I even molded a chassis and 'Vette axle mount together. Failed tho due too plastic plate I had set it on.Did not use the coloring, tho I will to help see things.Very good tutorial. Keep up the good work.

#35 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing, I will be another one trying it!!! :(

#36 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Mike, I used some of the acrylic powder recently. Bought a kit @ Wally World. You're right about the smell. Even outside I had to use a mask.
I even molded a chassis and 'Vette axle mount together. Failed tho due too plastic plate I had set it on.Did not use the coloring, tho I will to help see things.Very good tutorial. Keep up the good work.

Randy, the food coloring is a very important part. As I'm sure you found out, this stuff is very hard to see without some kind of coloring added. And heed what Randy said, get yourself some ventilation or one heck of a respirator, this stuff is smelly!

#37 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

This is very interesting. Your presentation is very clear and well illustrated.

I had a few parts I've made the molds for (squish cast RTV silicone for logos and door handles) and have only some old resin to cast them. This sounds like a good thing to try this material on and I have some in the mail coming. :rolleyes:

#38 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Mike, I haven't had the chance to try casting with this stuff yet, so let me know how it goes!

#39 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

Hey, Randy!

What is the WallyWorld product ... name ... series ... appearance of the package? I want to go check it out & WW is a lot closer than Sally. Besides, my wife gets suspicious when she asks where I've been and I tell her 'I spent some time at Sally's place today.'

Mike! Big shout out for this excellent tutorial and for opening up another new area of modeling exploration! Thanks!

:)

#40 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hey, Randy!

What is the WallyWorld product ... name ... series ... appearance of the package? I want to go check it out & WW is a lot closer than Sally. Besides, my wife gets suspicious when she asks where I've been and I tell her 'I spent some time at Sally's place today.'

Mike! Big shout out for this excellent tutorial and for opening up another new area of modeling exploration! Thanks!

:D

No problem Dan, I'm glad people are willing to try it. Now as far as Wally World, I'm not sure if this is the one or not, but there's a kit with the brand name of "Kiss" I seem to remember seeing there at one time. It's about a 4"x6" package in a clear blister pack. If you look around the area where the nail polishes and fake fingernails are, you'll stumble across it. It's a small amount, but it'll let you see if it's something you want to use or not. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edited by Custom Mike, 27 January 2011 - 05:12 PM.