12 replies to this topic

#1 Stevearado

Stevearado

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

This is the current release of the AMT 1937 Chevrolet Coupe which is being distributed through Stevens International. I found my example at my LHS, and was drawn in by the nostalgic box art. I'll give some in-box information on the kit.

AMT1937Chevrolet-vi.jpg

Kit

The kit consists of 10 sprues (1 clear, 2 Chrome, and 7 white plastic) which are packed among 7 bags. Another bag contains 2 sets of tires, a metal axle, and transparent red piece. The glass is packed separately in a bubble wrap pouch. The clear sprue contains headlights, and a clear custom hood. The parts are packed, and one will need a lot of luck getting them back in once taken out. This is a 3 in 1 kit, and contains loads of extra parts including Cragar wheels, extra grill, bumpers, and other parts for the parts box. Also, there are two complete engines with this kit; a stovebolt 6 cylinder, and a 427 V8.

Body

Inspection of the body showed that little cleanup is needed compared to other AMT kits. The fenders are separate, and dry fitting showed promising fit. On the body, there are noticeable mold lines that run the C pillar from the drip molding to the fender. Also, there is a hole on the passenger side just in front of the rear fender that will need filled if the custom gas filler cap is not used.

37chevybodyly9.jpg

So far, the kit looks good. I will add an update after I build the kit.

#2 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:00 AM

what parts are those? i may have them from an older issue. i THOUGHT the kit had all the previous parts in it...
i have built a few of these and always (ALWAYS) have issues getting the running boards snug to bottom of body... resorted to cutting them off the frame and gluing them directly to fenders last time.
NEXT one i do will have better glass in it; the kit glass is too thick and doesn't fit well. it's tough to get the kit to look as good as the real car, which, for a chevy, is a pretty nice looking car.

#3 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

Also, there is a hole on the passenger side just in front of the rear fender that will need filled if the custom gas filler cap is not used.

That hole is for the "stock" fuel filler, only the sedans had the filler in the fender.

#4 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

I think i have those fender fillers in one of my parts stash boxes; along with the grille filler piece. if you need them to build your 37 let me know; i'll dig 'em up for you.

#5 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Does anyone have pics of the inline six-cylinder engine included in this kit?

And this cartoon box art...  :wub:

37-1.jpg

#6 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

The gasser exhaust dumps are way off on this kit. I had to tweek mine with a heat gun. Other than that it builts pretty nice.

#7 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

I have probably had a dozen of these over the years, none of them had a decent fit between hood and grille

#8 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

Does anyone have pics of the inline six-cylinder engine included in this kit?

I've got a couple in the stash, I'll try to snap a few pics tonight if I can.  It's decent for its day, has a few cool speed parts, like a really cool Offenhauser finned valve cover. Here's the instruction sheet page if it helps - 

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/amt/amt_1937_chevrolet/1937_chev_amt.html 

I have probably had a dozen of these over the years, none of them had a decent fit between hood and grille

Never has, even first issues, and it's gotten worse... 

#9 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Is this the same car that they released as the Dick Tracy car, i think that was a chevy.

#10 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

The clear hood always fit better for me- if you painted the clear custom hood body color it gave the car that totally smooth look that was oh-so-trendy when I first built this kit in the early '90's.

#11 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Quite right. It's what made me go hoodless for this build.

008.jpg

#12 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

has a few cool speed parts, like a really cool Offenhauser finned valve cover.

I acquired the chrome parts from this kit, then stripped the chrome plating from the valve cover to reveal the black plastic underneath, so this pic isn't the best:

9c1a2a90-8d8c-4609-b708-b12653c4e2bd.jpg

#13 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Just to let the people know that complained about the running boards not fitting tight up against the body,on the real cars they didn't fit up against the body, there is an apron that "curls" up to the body from the running boards there is about a 3-5 inch space from the top of the boards to the bottom of the doors. the kit is right on in this issue.