#61 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Jimmy should be selling his products at the Waukesha Expo Center on the 14th of this month, the day after the Milwaukee NNL. Look for him there.

#62 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

I hear Jimmy Flintstone bodies are extremely thick.  Never saw one, just heard it.

Some are, and some arn't. Depends on if the subject is modified kit part or an orignal sculpt.

#63 b_lever1

b_lever1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Full Name:bob leverington

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

thanks guts i'll have to get one then he seems to be the only one with an A100 van just got to have it building a real one but first i'll do the model as a concept because i can't draw

#64 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

I have this A-10 Van and a few more . I've never been disappointed with anything Jimmy does .. I did buy recently a Flintstone from  Ebay ; Model Empire . I received the Gremlin within two days . As far as quailty , it is good . Not injection quality as is demanded these days .  The Gremlin Body needs the windows and some other flash removed . As far as thick ? I don't think so . As I know it won't warp sitting on a shelf as a finished build . I recommend anything he makes .  Thanx ..

#65 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,359 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

thanks guts i'll have to get one then he seems to be the only one with an A100 van just got to have it building a real one but first i'll do the model as a concept because i can't draw

I bought one on eBay from seller "stiffkitty" and the door gap lines were not very straight and it was twice as thick as a typical kit styrene body. The surface is not smooth and polished as you'd find in a kit or one of Motor City Resin Caster's bodies, and while some may not mind the non-smooth texture, I think it makes a big difference.

I suspect the seller I bought from sells JF's lesser quality castings, as I have seen other A-100s here on the forum and in person at swap meets and Model Empire, and the panel lines were far straighter than the one I purchased.

Some of JF's slammer models with cast in place windows are very thick, such as the Screechasaurus Chevy Astro van and the custom Frankenstude(?)but they're supposed to be that way. I've also had JF's Leadstone Cadzilla knockoff in hand and the body was definitely thicker than a styrene kit body, maybe 150% thicker? You do need to do some clean up as the window openings are rough cut and you'll need to do some thinning and lots of dry fitting so that there are no surprises come final assembly time.

#66 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,726 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Four I have were disappointments. A '56 Ford sedan delivery is swaybacked, extremely thick, and the tooling on the rear door is not straight or even close to symmetrical.

I also have a radically chopped '34 Ford 3-window that's really a good looking model, but again, it's extremely thick and the rear wheel wells are wobbly shaped and just wrong, not round.

One more I can't recommend is a restyled, chopped, sectioned and slammed '50s Buick. It looks cool at first glance, but the restyle leaves no room for actual tires under the rear bodywork, and the symmetry is nonexistent (if that sort of thing bothers you...some people don't care).

The ('50?) '51 Studebaker is a good starting point for something radical, but it appears to be underscale in width. I haven't checked the 1:1 measurements to verify this, but it looks awfully narrow.

On the plus side, the only other one I have is the chopped '49 Ford coupe. It has VERY nice lines and can be the basis for an outstanding model. Actually, all the ones I have were reasonably priced as a starting point to go off in a custom direction, but expect to do some serious work on the ones I mentioned.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 13 April 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#67 mademan

mademan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Mathers

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Ive got about 25 JF bodies..... 95% of them have a "cracked" texture to them. will require lots of body work to be paintable

#68 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

I have 2 JF bodies. a 1970 RT/SE - it's really nice and thickness is pretty close to a stryene kit. Roof and back glass are pretty close to OE. So that one I will definitly use and would recomend

I also have a JF 1964 Plymouth Belvedere sedan body, that one I am kinda bumed on the quality of the moulding above the tail light / aka back edge of the decklid. Theres no way it's usuable as  is . combinded with the thickness of the body itself in key areas , I'm not sure if this one will get used or I may just make my own .

Both are still sitting in boxes waiting for there time on the bench

Edited by gtx6970, 08 April 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#69 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

Here's the thing about Jimmy. I have been hanging around the edges of the model car aftermarket since it began and Jimmy is definitely one of the most honest and
straight-shooting guys in the biz. Take that to the bank.

Yes you can, he's been a friend for years and is a straight forword guy. He's not like most of the people are becoming today. Great guy and a great bussiness man!!!!!

#70 doggie427

doggie427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Location:currently 10th dimension;considering a move to the 13th
  • Full Name:wayne sauchuk

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

I have quite a number of JF bodies mostly purchased at my LHS.This way I can examine bodies before purchase. Like some here,I have differing opinions on different bodies . I think it totally depends on who did the master .Some are outstanding (the Hornets,Courier SD etc.), some are very usable with a little work(55-57 Suburban), and a few are way too thick and only suitable for shelf models or curbsides. One or two are too much work to make anything realistic out of.

Considering his reasonable pricing and the overall desirability of the subjects, I would recommend  almost all of his stuff. I also know from friends who have purchased directly from Jimmy that he is fast ,honest and easy to deal with.

That said it's always good to see what you're buying first hand, if you can, like almost anything in life !

Edited by doggie427, 13 April 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#71 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have quite a number of JF bodies mostly purchased at my LHS.This way I can examine bodies before purchase. Like some here,I have differing opinions on different bodies . I think it totally depends on who did the master .Some are outstanding (the Hornets,Courier SD etc.), some are very usable with a little work(55-57 Suburban), and a few are way too thick and only suitable for shelf models or curbsides. One or two are too much work to make anything realistic out of.
Considering his reasonable pricing and the overall desirability of the subjects, I would recommend  almost all of his stuff. I also know from friends who have purchased directly from Jimmy that he is fast ,honest and easy to deal with.
That said it's always good to see what you're buying first hand, if you can, like almost anything in life !

You hit it, it all depends on who ever did the master depends on how the resin copy turns out. If a person does not finish the master in a way that it can be copied. Jimmy takes modeling clay to finish off the inside to make it smooth on the inside so that it will release.

#72 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Jimmy is Pebbles younger brother... :lol:

#73 Psychographic

Psychographic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Full Name:David Gilmour

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

You hit it, it all depends on who ever did the master depends on how the resin copy turns out. If a person does not finish the master in a way that it can be copied. Jimmy takes modeling clay to finish off the inside to make it smooth on the inside so that it will release.

You mean like this?

P3051470_zps33c5ce7a.jpg

#74 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,867 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Jimmy IS a REALLY nice likeable guy. I talk with him EVERY time I see him at our Bi Annual Toy show. He was ALWAYS 10 bucks for a simple body, but at this last one, his prices went up to 15. Not bad if yo DON'T mind doin a bit of grinding an thinning of the bodies. All in all, he does give a decent buy for the money, plus as I said, he IS a really niceguy.

#75 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've bought two of his items, the Porsche 550 and the Dodge van body for the Little Red Wagon wheel stander kit. Both are very nicely done, but the Porsche kit requires considerable work to represent the vast majority of actual 550's made. His is apparently a very specific car. 

I've also had a couple of the items that Testors sold that he mastered, and they were also pretty well done IMHO.

#76 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

You mean like this?

P3051470_zps33c5ce7a.jpg

Something like that!!!

#77 carrucha

carrucha

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Full Name:Hector Sanchez

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I recently ordered a couple of items directly from Jimmy for the first time.  The transaction went pretty smooth.  I got my stuff a week and a half after ordering online.

#78 buffalobill

buffalobill

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Mathewson

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

Jimmy's '65 Chevelle 2 door station wagon is terrific.    Whoever did the master did it right.   The casting is just about as thin as a typical styrene body shell, and the details seem correct to me.    There's the typical flash, but it's easily removed in a few minutes.    (and it comes w/ an interior bucket, too).    Highly recommended!

His '50 Olds fastback is quite well done w/ only a few gripes - mainly how the Chevy fastback body was mated to the Revell Olds body @ the B pillars.   There is a kinda rough texture to the top surface of the resin body, however, and the entire body will need some tedious sanding in order to achieve a good paint finish.   It's fixable w/ some work, and at his asking price, it's still a good buy.

I've also had a couple of his earlier subjects - a chopped/Carson topped '49-'52 Chevy body shell w/ both the hood & skirts molded to the body.   It's very thick and lacks crisp details.   I also have his '50ish chopped Buick? fastback slammer body.    It's also very thick, and it'll take a lot of work to make it into something decent, although someone @ the NNL Southern Nats a few years ago made one into an awesome looking roadster.    His '27 Model T track roadster body, hood & track nose is too thick, but workable, and will build up into a good lakes-style or street rod type model.    I'm quite disappointed w/ the chopped '37 Ford pick up cab, however, as the windshield area is not correct, and the detail - overall - is either too soft, or completely lacking.   It'll take more work to correct than it would for me to just chop the Revell cab that I have.  

Question: has anyone purchased (and built) his '58 Chevy sedan delivery?     I want to convert one into a phantom Nomad 2 door station wagon using both Revell's and AMT's '58 Impala kits as donors.

#79 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

One more I can't recommend is a restyled, chopped, sectioned and slammed '50s Buick. It looks cool at first glance, but the restyle leaves no room for actual tires under the rear bodywork, and the symmetry is nonexistent (if that sort of thing bothers you...some people don't care).

The Chopperhead?

If so, yeah it's rough... but you can still attempt something cool with it. :rolleyes:

IMG_44471-vi.jpg

IMG_57721-vi.jpg

#80 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

I have the 58 sedan delivery, nice piece.