• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Olson

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

heres a mock up ... getting closer!
Posted Image
Posted Image
just a few more things like mirrors and front fins brakes etc.

#342 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm with you on that, Rob...really thought this thread would have been more active, considering the initial enthusiasm.

Looks good, Randy!

#343 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Man, Mike that paint turned out SMOOTH. Looks great.

Unfortunately I hit two of the most busiest months (Mar and Apr) than I've had in a long time and I obviously didn't finish mine, but I'm still working on it until it's completed.

Later-

#344 Fletch

Fletch

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

So, I bet you all thought I had forgotten about you and the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge! Honestly, life has been hectic of late, but no matter how hectic you don't let others down. Anyway, the end of the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge is quickly coming to an end. Here is the plan, starting this evening and ending at Midnight (12am) Pacific Daylight Savings time on Friday April 15th, 2011 submit photos of your completed build to JWAC2011@gmail.com. Submit at least 1 photo that best replicates the artwork that you received at the start of the Challenge ie:attempt to photograph your build from the same angle and orientation of the artwork. Remember the object of the Challenge is to best replicate the original artwork, the same thing needs to apply to the photo(s) that you submit.

Over the weekend of April 16-17, Jairus, James Warkentin and myself will compare your photos to the original artwork, the build the we feel best replicates the artwork will be declared the winner of the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge. The winner will be notified and posted here on the MCM Forum no later the 9PM Pacific Daylight Savings Time April 17th, 2011.

Again, email your entry photo(s) to JWAC2011@gmail.com no later then 12AM (midnight) Pacific Daylight Savings Time Friday April 15th, 2011. We are looking forward to seeing your completed builds and hoping you seriously challenge us when it comes to judging your entries.

Fletch

#345 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#346 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

Well, I won't finish in time but I thought that I'd post tonight's work on my Beetle. I spent a few hours bending and re-bending solder for my exhaust. Here is where I'm at with it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I still need to add the P.E. header flanges, collector and the stinger pipe. Once I start all of that on my next session I'll do the fine tuning to get a bit more ground clearance for the exhaust. It won't be much due to the low ride height and the exhaust having to clear the bumper. The bumper will be able to be raised a bit , but not much without interfering with the engine boot. I also have some paint overspray to clean up on the engine. More in next post.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 13 April 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#347 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

I also spent some time tonight working on the seat belts, although I didn't take any photos of them.
I had a problem with some red plastic that I'd used to attach the whale tail to the engine boot. It kept wanting to bleed through my white primer so I shot a light coat of silver on it. Hopefully when I put my next coat of primer on it won't show. Although I am not going to finish in time for the contest, I am still enjoying this build and plan to stick on it until it's done. I hope everyone else had fun and I look forward to seeing the builds.

Later-

#348 Fletch

Fletch

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

Coming down to the wire, less the 30 hours before the clock strikes Midnight on Friday April 15th Pacific time. There are a few entries in the email bag, let's see how many more we can add in the next day or so. I know Jairus, James and myself are looking forward to you making it difficult for us to determine the winner.

Fletch

#349 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Heading for the email now! Glad I checked in!! Posted Image

#350 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Not sure if I got in on time or that the picture is good enough but here is where I ended up .
Posted Image
Posted Image
I had camera problems ,I hope to rectify that and take some better pictures.

#351 Fletch

Fletch

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Well Guys you did exactly what we had hoped you'd do, you made it difficult for us to determine the winner of the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge. We would like to thank you all for participating in this Iconic Challenge. Jairus is one of he most renowned artist in Model Car circles as well as 1:1 press. The Challenge just seemed like a good way to Thank Jairus for his many years of inspiration.

So, without further ado here are the builds that were entered via email for judging:

4th Place
'60 Chevfin of Tony Turnbull

Posted Image

3rd Place
'41 Chevy Pickup of Neal Cunningham

Posted Image

2nd Place
"The Bug" of Randal Olson

Posted Image

And The Winner is.......................................

1st Place
"The Bomb" built by Mike McElligott

Posted Image
Hosted on Fotki

Again, thank you all for your interest and participation in the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge. It's been a blast, if you didn't get your build completed in time for the final judging, go ahead and finish it, I'm sure Jairus would love to see the completed builds.

Thank you all, happy building
Fletch

Edited by Fletch, 17 April 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#352 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:11 AM

I think there were more entries than 4.....could we see the others??

I'm still in shock.....what a fun build!

#353 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

I also would love to see the other builds.I thought this was really fun and eventhough mine is just a curbside it was challenging trying to get the stuff on the paper into the third demension. after being plagued by last minute snags I will go back over this and refine some areas that got shorted due to time constraints. man that was fun!

#354 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:51 AM

Guys, you might think you are the only one building but remember... there are about 10 members of Scale Auto Builders Association who are building/have already completed their entries! Most of these guys are older, rarely on the computer, and have many years of experience building. Not to mention they will be at the show with their cars. So.... take excellent pictures of your completed project and post it here or email to Dave Fletcher.

While I am not able to complete my build... we are still looking at 20 - 30 entries! :wub:

Where are they?

#355 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

The bulk of the cars finished in this contest were completed by members of Scale Auto Builders Association. 10 showed up at the 21st NNL. If you are a member of Facebook, click on the link.

I have no idea why more did not come from this forum. Over 50 entries were handed out and for two months last year I was answering questions and pointing builders in the right direction for most of those entries. I know of at least 2 finished builds that could have competed but didn't and more than 10 entries here were started but not finished. (Read back in the thread to see for yourself!) I didn't get my build finished either due to personal reasons so I can't complain too much.

It is what it is.

#356 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

Congratulations to all the guys for completing your builds and winning!
Personally, I feel like a lump for not finishing mine, but I do intend to complete it and post it here. Keep watching.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 18 April 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#357 mikelo

mikelo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Lomaka

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Yea, I feel bad as well. I even had an easy one! I just had too many things going on. There are a lot of nice looking ones I will post my pics here as well if it keeps going.

Mike

#358 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hey that's cool!! Congrats on putting together a fun build...I had a blast!!

Thank you, Jairus, for your contribution to this hobby!!

Thank you Dave Fletcher for dealing with the details!

This was fun!! Posted Image

Edited by Tony T, 18 April 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#359 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

I'd like to see more finished up with the excitement this generated initially. Perhaps too long of a challenge for some? I know I set mine aside for a while to get a couple of other challenge and club builds done.

Come on guys...get them done! You know you want to!! Posted Image

Edited by Tony T, 18 April 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#360 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, Mikelo, Let's keep going. I'd like to see what progress you've made on yours.

Later-