Model Cars Magazine Forum

There has been another thread recently concerning the reissue of the Monogram Ford F250 and converting it to a 4 wheel drive.

This is the link to that thread:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29879

I had a few requests to post pictures of the axles found under my dually, and thought this might also be useful to fellow modelers. I, myself, will be converting the F350 kit into a 4X4, as it will be a replica (I can't call it factory because the real truck was not build by Ford the way it sits today) stock of my real truck. This is what the truck looks like today, and sorry, but I didn't have time to wash it before I took the pictures! :lol:

HPIM1845.jpg

HPIM1844.jpg

The truck was built as a heavy duty chassis cab, the former owner was my boss at a towing company I worked for about ten years ago. The truck was formerly a wrecker before he had removed the wrecker body and put the stock dually bed on the frame. If you look closely, you can see the only telltale sign that this was not a standard dually, there is a six inch gap between the bed and the cab.

Here is some of the technical data of the truck:

Engine: 7.3 Liter non turbocharged (It is not a Powerstroke) Diesel Engine

Transmission: S5-42 ZF 5 speed manual transmission

Transfer Case: Borg Warner 13-56

Front Axle: Dana 60 Monobeam

Rear Axle: Ford 10.25

The Dana 60 Monobeam was only offered in the F350, so it is correct for the F350 dually kit and for the F250 kit would only be correct if you plan to build a single rear wheel equipped F350. The rear axle in both kits is the Ford 10.25 (10.25 inch ring gear) unit, as in my pictures. The kit I plan to source the Dana 60 from is this one:

HPIM1852.jpg

HPIM1853.jpg

HPIM1854.jpg

These are stock parts for the Coronet not used in the Pro Street kit, of course, some modification must be done to the axle tubes. I must warn you, the pictures show you what you'll need for the conversion, but the truck was a worker before I took ownership, and is 20 years old, so please don't laugh at the oil leaks and grease, I've not been able to fix them yet!

This is some more technical data I quoted in the previously mentioned thread from my Haynes repair manual for Ford Pick-ups & Broncos 1980 thru 1996, and the available axles it covers are as follows, quoted from the manual:

"Four types of Dana front-drive are available for Ford 4X4 truck application. The Dana 44-IFS (independent front suspension) is available on Bronco and F150 4X4s. The Dana 44-IFS-HD (heavy duty) is available on the F250 4X4s. The Dana 50-IFS was available on F250 and F350 4x4s and is now an option on the F250 only. Finally, the Dana model 60 Monobeam axle is now standard on the F350 4x4."

"All IFS axles are basically alike with only minor differences among the three. The 44-IFS is on vehicles equipped with coil front springs. The 44-IFS-HD and 50-IFS are on models with leaf front springs. The model 60 Monobeam is a solid axle design mechanically identical to the model 60 rear axle."

For those of you who want the IFS axles, Monogram's early 80's Ford Bronco sounds like a great source, another would be AMT's 80's Ford Bronco.

I also failed to mention in my previous post, all pictures will be labeled as to what they are and what you are seeing, and from what direction relative to the front or rear of the truck. It will take me a little time, I have a lot of pictures to transfer and describe, but will be posting them regularly. If you have any questions or need another more specific picture of something, please feel free to ask.

Front Dana 60 Monobeam Axle:

Drivers side front spring from front:

HPIM1819.jpg

Passenger side front spring and steering from drivers side:

HPIM1820.jpg

Close up of passenger side front spring:

HPIM1821.jpg

Drivers side front spring and steering arms from under passenger side front spring:

HPIM1824.jpg

Rear of center section from rear under front driveshaft:

HPIM1826.jpg

Rear of drivers side front spring and sway bar mounts from side (next two pictures):

HPIM1827.jpg

HPIM1828.jpg

The Borg Warner 13-56 Transfer Case from front drivers side:

HPIM1829.jpg

Transfer case from rear:

HPIM1830.jpg

I should also note, I did not get a picture of the passenger side of the transfer case, I plan to, but there is a cover on the passenger side for a PTO.

The Ford 10.25 rear axle from rear:

HPIM1536.jpg

Heavy Duty drivers side rear spring and sway bar link from front:

HPIM1834.jpg

Heavy Duty passenger side rear spring, sway bar link, and shock from drivers side front:

HPIM1835.jpg

Passenger side upper shock mount from drivers side front (drivers side upper shock mount is the same, both shock tops face front of truck):

HPIM1838.jpg

Drivers side lower shock mount from front (again passenger side is identical):

HPIM1837.jpg

Front half of drivers side rear spring from beside truck:

HPIM1840.jpg

Rear half of drivers side rear spring from beside truck:

HPIM1839.jpg

Drivers side rear spring and axle from rear:

HPIM1841.jpg

Passenger side rear spring and axle from rear:

HPIM1842.jpg

I hope these pictures help in your projects, and, as I said before, feel free to ask any questions or if there is something you may even need another picture of, I will be happt to help in any way I can. I must note, you will not find the rear springs pictured in any of the Monogram kits, the kits have the standard dually springs. As I mentioned in the opening post, this truck was built as a heavy duty chassis cab, not a standard dually. This truck has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of over 12,000 pounds, with a front axle Gross Axle Weight Rating of approximately 4,000 pounds and a rear axle Gross Axle Weight Rating of approximately 8,000 pounds. My GAWR on the rear axle is about the same as the GVWR of approximately 8,000 pounds for a standard factory built dually!

• 3 years later...