#21 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I did this by taking a drill bit the size I needed, drilling a hole in a quarter inch piece of steel, placing the screen over the hole, then reversing the drill bit and lightly tapping it into the hole to cut the screen. Most drill bits are chamfered on the non drilling end, and put a nice convex(or concave) shape to the screen. I place the steel piece on a block of wood when making these; you can make mulitples of the screen pieces, all exactly the same, and then slowly force them out of the steel piece with the back of the drill bit. I have about 50 stored in a small film cartridge ...CAUTION....they have a tendency to take flight....'Z'

#22 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Storm door mesh works, but is a little too big(IMHO, buy the real fine mesh available at hobby shops, works better / looks more in scale Try to stay away from copper or brass, by the time you paint it, it clogs up. Magic marker works better than paint....'Z'

#23 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

I alsouse a magic marker on my photo etched seat belt buckles, emblems, radio faces, etc...cover the whole photo etched piece with magic marker (dries quicker / thinner than paint) then polich with the BACK of a piece of wet or dry sand paper.Then clearcoat with acrylic paint, like Polly S or something similar. Don't use clear lacquer or enamel; it willlift the magic marker. I have done the same thing to hub caps with emblems or words(specifically 30's FORD caps)fill in with marker, then GENTLY polish off the excess marker. If you're carefull, you won't affect the chrome....then wax the cap with 1/1 car wax to protect it.... Works for me....

#24 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

..... Magic marker works better than paint....'Z'

good tip; thanks