#41 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I'm in with a Revell 1:48 P-39...this could be just what some of us need for the automotive "builder's burnout"!

Thanks for this gents! B)

#42 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

My start: Monogram P-51D. Cheap plane; great for cutting up. I used a battery-powered Dremel to smooth out cockpit walls and then blocked it off with strip styrene. (I smoothed it out so I could glue in the first layer of strip, which is longer than the cockpit opening) The cockpit will be moved back and get a tiny "teardrop" canopy. The wing has been glued together with shell ejection ports and bomb mounting points filled in. The wing tips will get clipped a little. One wing has a removable panel so the builder can show the ammo feed chutes. That was glued shut and reinforced from behind. You can also see my basic idea for a paint scheme.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really like this build project. I'm building entirely from my stockpile. I already have the plane, and everything else is stuff that any car builder likely has; Evergreen styrene, putty, and paint.

#43 Blake Rogers

Blake Rogers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Full Name:bubba

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

cool lee i cant wait to see her done

#44 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Guys, there were several P-39 racers and even a few P-63 King Cobras. I've got some pictures of a one off Curtis P-40Q that was lost in an early post-war air race that had a factory bubble canopy and pretty smooth lines that would make a good candidate. I've got copies of Air Classic Magazines going back for years, including the yearly air race special issues that have bunches of photos of the air racers and once the cutting and engine swapping began in ernest it was Katy bar the door. This contest can be, according to drag race terms, pretty much "run what cha brung" and the entries should still be legal. As a long time air race fan, I am really looking forward to what this contest brings out.

BTW here's a link to some pics of a model of a very famous P-39 racer.
http://www.austinsms...m=lastup&cat=-5

#45 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Nice start Lee! :lol:
Cannot wait for my darned kit to get here...

In the mean time I will post cool pics one a day to keep the interest up!
Posted Image

#46 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Gibbons

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Guys, there were several P-39 racers and even a few P-63 King Cobras. I've got some pictures of a one off Curtis P-40Q that was lost in an early post-war air race that had a factory bubble canopy and pretty smooth lines that would make a good candidate. I've got copies of Air Classic Magazines going back for years, including the yearly air race special issues that have bunches of photos of the air racers and once the cutting and engine swapping began in ernest it was Katy bar the door. This contest can be, according to drag race terms, pretty much "run what cha brung" and the entries should still be legal. As a long time air race fan, I am really looking forward to what this contest brings out.

BTW here's a link to some pics of a model of a very famous P-39 racer.
http://www.austinsms...m=lastup&cat=-5

Thanks for the link to the P-39 model; I REALLY like that!

#47 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

To those few who decided to choose the P-38 Lightning to modify into a racer. Click on the pic to be taken to a weird french web site (no not adult) that came up with every possible combination. A lot of strange stuff in there but also a few interesting and unusual designs that might be cool!
:lol:
Posted Image

#48 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

One that wasn't discussed, and maybe it never did make for a formidable racing component, was the P-40. It had an average top speed of 362 mph (based on 22,000 ft elevation testing) compared to the P-51 at an average of 430 mph based on the same guidelines.
But for the sake of this challenge, a suitable option for someone like myself that simply loves the p-40 frame. I have built a few of these, over the years, with quite a few left to go.
And for anyone, like myself, that appreciates the history behind these planes from WWII, there were some interesting stories behind certain actual planes from that time. Like this particular plane flown by Colonel Robert Baselar in the Pacific theater, with the 325th "Checkertail Clan". The plane had seen lots of heavy action and was torn up pretty good but since Colonel Baselar had made a name for himself as a quality pilot he was chosen for some PR duty to help boost support for the war effort back home. His plane was refurbished and repainted for PR use and even still saw some battle action after it's transformation. By today's standards it even has a bit of a rat rod/hot rod feel to it. Even though I can't hold a candle to any excellent plane builders I had a lot of fun building this one.

Posted Image

I might just have to take one of my remaining P-40 kits and join in on this as it has been some time since I opened up a plane kit.

#49 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Wayne, nice P-40. There was a late war P-40 that never entered production (P-40Q I think), it had a bubble canopy, 4 bladed prop, squared off wings and other improvements that got the P-40 over 400 mph. I thought it might give you some ideas for what someone might have done to make a hot rodded P-40 racer. If you were up to some major plastic surgery you could probably bash a P40 with a P-51.

#50 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

I too like the P-40! However the history of this airframe is as checkered as the tail of Col Baselar's plane. Seems that Curtis-Wright kept modifying the airframe rather than draw up plans for something new. The P-40 entered service in 1938 based on an older design, the P-36, and holds the destinction of being produced clear up to the end of the war. It was an obsolete design when Pearl Harbor was attacked in December 1941 and yet the manufacturer held onto their government contract with a vise-like grip continually producing and modifying right up to 1945. Then Senator Harry Truman found massive faults in the company but, like government waste of today, could do little about it but complain.
It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I would love to see a Sports Racer made from a P-40N!

Edited by Jairus, 04 July 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#51 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Jairus, just wait until I get you a shot of the prototype P-40Q. It was raced (well, IIRC it didn't qualify but they started it anyway and it was destroyed in a crash in the railyards near the race course) and was a sleek bubble canopied speedster.

In the meantime, for all you sir racng "newbies" let me tell you that after the clipping of wings, cutting down of turtledeck and engine swaps started, these racers had about as much in common with your basic olive drab war surplus fighter as Aunt Hattie's beige Pontiac Catalina in the driveway had with Smokey Yunicks black and gold thunder wagon at Daytona.

This is gonna be SO much fun and one of the most creative contests ya'll have ever undertaken. BYW here's the P-63 King Cobra (the P-39's big brother) in race trim, complete with clipped wings and a hot red paint job.

Posted Image

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!

#52 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Here's a good site with kit reviews of probably any plane that would be used in this CBP...

Warbirds kit reviews

#53 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

And while the Mustangs were beginning to compare to the factory planes like your Galaxie in the driveway compared to a Holman Moody Darlington winner, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Posted Image

#54 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

Matching a USAF P-51 Mustang about as closely as Junior Johnson's "Yellow Bananna" '66 Atlanta entry matched a Ford Galaxie 500 on the dealer's lot, an early version of the Red Baron Race Team's Mustang put the fear in everybody with its slick bodywork, clipped wings and Rolls Royce Griffon engine with counter rotating props. The huge sigh of releave when they pulled pilot Steve Hinton, gravely injured but largely intact, from its smoking wreckage after wreaking havoc in the unlimitied division for several races, wasn't all just for Steve's survival.

Here it is early in its career when it was still all red.

Posted Image

#55 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

Now here's the ultimate in "grey area" of the rules. The Grummn Bearcat didn't see service in WW2 but was a regular competitor in Unlimited air racing with several iconic planes competing in the races. The British Sea Fury has a similar problem so maybe ya'll should make a ruling on these now for the contest.

Posted Image

#56 mountaindewd

mountaindewd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Full Name:Les

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Is there an official start date for this distraction if not already started? How about a deadline? I haven't built a plane since that Harrier got modified when I was about 12, but this sounds like fun!

Pearl Harbor was attacked in December 1940

Jairus,

FYI, December 7, 1941

#57 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

I haven't forgotten you "bent wing bird" fans. Like all the rest, the Corsairs started out with just a paint job and some numbers to join the fun. But like the rest, there came clipped wings and DC-6 engine tranplants and before you knew it the Super Corsairs were bending around the pylons.

Posted Image

#58 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Les, noted and changed.

Start date is already passed and end date is the official end of summer about Sept 22. Final pics (no more than 3) will be submitted to a voting thread and the members of MCM forums will decide.

If participants want to post build progress here that is cool or they can start their own thread.
But seeing as how there are NO sections for "Non-automotive" models on this forum (hint, hint) it seems logical to keep it all on this thread.

#59 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hey Jairus- Something I just thought of: that gear up and gear down requirement will make things really tough. Most airplane kits are designed to display gear down only. It often takes a lot of work just to put the kit landing gear cover over the gear well. People will end up re-engineering a model to meet this requirement. It could end up in a lot of people not finishing their entry.

Is there a limit on number of entries?

Edited by LDO, 05 July 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#60 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Not a requirement Lee simply a suggestion. No limit on the number of entries but I do want to limit the photos to three unless you think we need more?
I have three major shots in mind for me... one on the pad with engine running... one turning the corner at the pylon and one last show showing a high speed run. And yeah... I plan to have gear up and gear down options for my entry.... AND an electric motor inside to spin the prop for the photos.
Of course anyone can clip the blades and smooth over the spinner for a "at full power" look but I want to see what effects I can get with a spinning prop.

Right now I will admit to using photoshop to wipe out any suspension wires for in-flight shots. But it is not necessary if one is careful how one does the setup for the pic's

J