Model Cars Magazine Forum

My realistic dio

modelfritz

Hi dio fans, I thought that my input may help the builders of the more weatherd look. The home farmstead that I want to recreate in Dio format needs to have the weathered look to set the correct time period. the house was dressed in unpainted cedar siding which had the blackish tanin staining from the rain and the deep brown sunburnt look.I have some cedar that I well treat (because it is fresh) with walnut tanin(from shelling the walnut husks in the fall). This ages the wood and makes it quickly look 10 years old, but the staining must match the real example . I also appreciate when someone can give a accuratly rusted look to a model say in the junkpile. My 36 chev, if I ever find a 4dr sedan model, will have the blued "glaucus' fading on the black paint to make it truely fit in with the time and place of the era. I have discovered that by carefully washing off the fibrous roots of certain plants, and turning them upside down,make very realistic deciduous trees in the winter. You have to find just the right look, though. I love creativity, cheers, Manfred

I have discovered that by carefully washing off the fibrous roots of certain plants, and turning them upside down,make very realistic deciduous trees in the winter. You have to find just the right look, though. I love creativity, cheers, Manfred

Sounds like you have some great ideas there. As for trees, check your local craft store in there dried flower section. Imagine some of the flowers without the buds, it may give you some other ideas for different trees. That is what I used in my tanker station wooded area in my photobucket album.

I too have tried looking for weeds with a nice root system for realistic trees but have yet to find the right "look" in my area. Good luck with the dio!

Hi....Napoleon and Manfred...I also use dried flower tems, they are great and you can paint it for more realism. Also , you can check www.scenicexpress.com they have 'Cow Pastures' , 'Pastures with Mole Hills' , 'Prairie Tufts' , 'Grass Pathways' , Reeds and Cattail for swampy marshland or any landfield . The scale of these materials are for 1:43 dioramas but I have used them for 1/24 and looks great..........Barbo.