Great progress so far Rommel!!!

#42 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

Doing your usual excellent work and it's interesting to watch. Why though, would anybody need a sleeper cab on a tow truck? They don't do long, multiple day trips, do they?

#43 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:58 AM

This should be another "Must Watch" build and I can only imagine what it will look like when finished! There are not that many wrecker builds and having watched how Rommel has started this one, I know why- they are not easy. I have complete confidence that this will have many custom features and innovations like his other builds.

To echo Jim's question- Why would a wrecker need a sleeper cab? Is it for the longer wheelbase or the occassional trip? In watching the show "Wrecked", I only see the one truck with a sleeper, the rest are day cabs and they never show them towing long distances.

Thanks for the build, I will be amongst the "watchers" !!!

#44 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:35 AM

Doing your usual excellent work and it's interesting to watch. Why though, would anybody need a sleeper cab on a tow truck? They don't do long, multiple day trips, do they?

To answer your question ....Yes they do make long muliple day trips. I have seen wreckers pick up a load and haul it across counrty. If your truck breaks down in Texas and you live in Michigan would you just leave the truck in Texas and say forget it? or would you bring it home and fix it? There are companys that specialize in long distance retrival

Edited by Aftashox, 28 August 2010 - 06:35 AM.

#45 pharr7226

pharr7226

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

Very interesting fab work. I dig this. Keep it up Bro. B)

#46 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

To answer your question ....Yes they do make long muliple day trips. I have seen wreckers pick up a load and haul it across counrty. If your your truck breaks down in Texas and you live in Michigan would you just leave the truck in Texas and say forget it? or would you bring it home and fix it? There are companys that specialize in long distance retrival

With what these wrecker companies charge to fire up a rig like this I would be surprised to see them tow farther than the nearest shop or their storage yard. I have seen trucks being towed down the interstate but more likely they are the exception and not the rule.

Sweet build going, any ideas on a color scheme yet?

#47 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

Dang Rom, your doing some good work on this build man, keep it up man. I love watching this stuff take shape! I can't wait to see it finish, if it's anything like your truck model you did before, man this will be a killer for sure. B)

#48 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Gibbons

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

Holy cow! I blink, and you have a new project going full tilt boogie! I think I'm going to have to change my user name to Lethargic Snail Builder. B) I'm especially interested in seeing how you do the LEDs to light it up.

#49 Scalper

Scalper

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Full Name:Andre

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Wow the wheels look really cool.. I also like what you are doing to the cab.. great stuff.

#50 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

With what these wrecker companies charge to fire up a rig like this I would be surprised to see them tow farther than the nearest shop or their storage yard. I have seen trucks being towed down the interstate but more likely they are the exception and not the rule.

Mike, actually both you and Romell are correct. I drove heavy wrecker here in WV for a couple years around 2000, and unfortunately in trucks not as nice as O'Hare's, but our workhorse of the fleet was Freightliner FLD 120 very similar to this one, except with a single rear axle.

Posted Image

Even though I personally never took it on any long tows, it had been on a few over the road trips. If I remember correctly, around 2000 it was something like $75 or $100 an hour and something like a minimum of 2 hrs just for it to leave the lot. The over the road trips are few and far between, but it does happen.

Now, of course, of the four wrecker companies in my area that have big wreckers, all but one have sleeper cabbed wreckers. The non sleeper models, like the big sister to O'Hare's truck 317, which is the sleeper cab Romell is basing his build on, is truck 903, which is the truck in my avatar and better known to all us "Wrecked" fans as the "Mistress". In the case of the company I worked for, and is probably the case with O'Hare as well, our biggest trucks were ones with no sleeper, and only went out for recoveries and rollovers. If you've ever watched "Wrecked", you'll notice that the "Mistress" is usually only out on the recoveries and rollovers, she is seldom actually towing trucks. The biggest reason and the biggest benifit of the sleeper on the wrecker is if you are towing a truck with either someone riding along with the trucker like my better half did when I drove over the road or you have a team operation where one driver sleeps as the other drives, the sleeper gives you more or less a back seat for someone to sit.

I had many tows where that was the case, and if the wrecker didn't have the sleeper, someone would have been stuck along the side of the road. I even had one case where I had to tow a motorhome back to our shop, and I had a family of four in the wrecker, the mother and two kids sat on the bed for the ride. The kids justed loved riding in a big truck, by the way! :lol:

Sorry for being so long winded, but at least this should help explain why big wreckers have sleepers. :D

#51 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

Matt to the rescue again!! :D

#52 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Matt to the rescue again!! B)

Just call me "Technical Advisor"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#53 mredzadventure

mredzadventure

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Full Name:Ed White

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Just to add to this. A wrecker will be subject to Hours Of Service regulations so the sleeper will give the company and flexibility on non emergency calls. If you have to tow something a long distance or if the job is taking a long time the driver can get the required time off in the bunk and stay legal. If they get hired for a repo job or moving a damaged truck back to a dealer that is a distance away they will be able to do it.

The build is looking good I drive a tanker all day and it's coming together nice.

#54 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Looks good! Will you put long-distance fuel tanks on it like the log trucks in Alaska use?

Edited by philo426, 25 August 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#55 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

Just to add to this. A wrecker will be subject to Hours Of Service regulations so the sleeper will give the company and flexibility on non emergency calls. If you have to tow something a long distance or if the job is taking a long time the driver can get the required time off in the bunk and stay legal. If they get hired for a repo job or moving a damaged truck back to a dealer that is a distance away they will be able to do it.

Actually, Ed, you would be surprised how little HOS regs apply to the towing industry. Yes, on any tows over 100 air miles from the main terminal, all HOS regs apply just as any road truck, as well as carrying a log (comic :lol: ) book, but local most everything goes out the window. I've been on some calls, mostly wrecks, where I worked 20 hrs and went home for a few hour nap and back out the next morning. I drove almost everything from HAZ MAT to tankers and doubles. I even pulled a trailer that was put out of service by the DOT, it was out of service for being unsafe, but it was legal for me to pull it with one of our tractors.

#56 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hey fellas Im back with another installment of the MAD MODELLER!!!! LOL! anyway as you know Ive been working on the rear of the wrecker I opened up all the storage compartments and lined them with coragated steele and I made some doors I just have to figure out the best way to go about hinging em. And I added another 6 scale inches to the overall length of the truck body which means i have to add another 6scale inches to the chassis (thats what happens boys and girls when you dont do your math homework) well I hope you enjoy the photos....

heres one of the kit compartment doors and the doors i made on the second pic...
Posted Image

Posted Image

here i cut all the compartment doors out....
Posted Image

as you can see the doors are raised so all had to be smoothed out or sanded down....
Posted Image

Posted Image

here I started to add the coragated steele to the boxes
Posted Image

Posted Image

And heres a mockup for ya enjoy......
Posted Image

Edited by Aftashox, 31 August 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#57 Jim0205

Jim0205

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Crazy just plain crazy Romell. Cant help but watch in awe another build of yours.

#58 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:41 AM

And heres a mockup for ya enjoy......
Posted Image

It's looking great so far, Romell.

#59 mopar01lee

mopar01lee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Full Name:Davin Blackburn

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:08 AM

WOW.....
THIS IS JUST AWWWWWWWWWSOME.... ive never built a big rig before but i have been lookin at gettin one .
i think i just might do it now....

later days my friend
Davin

#60 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

Thx Jim, Matt & Davin , You know I never thought of doin a semi either bec ause i didnt think I could do any good detailing to it but im learning now that I cant be more technical with this build than just doing cars. I guess its always good to broaden our scope of building :lol: