#62 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Iacoangeli

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

...thanks Jim, Chuck and Tony, appreciate the feed back! It feels good to be working on this again. I'm taking advantage of the spark, so I got the cast iron drain pipe started too. Not sure yet what's going on with the second floor so this is all I'm going to add for now. The pipes will get some light weathering because their inside the building as opposed to outside. Some dust, a little rust and maybe a leak or two..........after the lights and pipes get weathered it'll be on to the second story floor boards.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

Unbelievable details!!! I'm guessing the pipes are styrene rod... but where did you get the joints and bends? Or did you cast them?

Tony

#64 ra7c7er

ra7c7er

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Roach

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:37 AM

Every time you update I am more and more amazed by this. Seriously everything is just seriously wow.

#65 Gray Smith

Gray Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:Gray

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

That third picture above, looking up at the pipes....you'd swear it was the real thing. very nice!!!

#66 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

...thanks fellas! ..appreciate the kind words.....Tony, your right, the straight pipes are 3/16 tubing from Evergreen. All the other pieces I made from scratch. I'm going to offer these and other pieces on my web site. Should have them ready sometime next week. These pipes make an interesting and uncommon detail item.........

#67 wvsm

wvsm

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Parsons

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Take this from an experienced modeler you have done a great job! I was wondering how you got the peeling paint on the wood joists?

#68 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

..thank you Mark, I really appreciate that!.....the method I used for the peeling paint was mastered by Chuck Doan. I did a variation of his exact procedure though. After the wood is cut and lightly sanded you apply an India ink/alcohol wash to age the wood. The rest of the process is basically one board at a time. I applied a thin coat of thinner(mineral spirits), just when it starts to lose it's sheen I put on a coat of latex paint. Timing here is kinda critical. The paint has to dry a bit but not fully. With a piece of Scotch brand Magic tape I laid it on the fresh paint, "lightly" pressing it down then slowly pulled it up. If your timing is good it'll peel the paint like you see in the pictures. If you apply the tape too soon it just smears, too late and very little if nothing will come up. I must have practiced on a half a dozen pieces before I got the hang of it. But if you would like the exact technique that Chuck developed, go to his Fotki page, go to Odds and Ends album, there he has his peeling paint description. Believe me, his work makes mine look like a kindergartner's finger painting! The man is off the charts with vision and talent!

Edited by dannyi, 13 February 2011 - 01:03 AM.

#69 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

...got the lights temporarily hooked up....took a couple quick shots.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...thanks for look'n...

#70 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:49 AM

Danny, THIS is THA MOOK!!!!! Like i was tellin ya, my nephew lives in a converted cotton mill that left one section unrestored so residents could see how it once looked. Your Dio is ON THE MONEY, Daddy-O! I'll try to get Joy to get me some pics and try to have them for Friday's meeting!:P ;) ;)

#71 Chaz

Chaz

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Balo
    IPMS: 37993

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

Been wanting to duplicate in scale the 4 bay Garage I worked in in the mid 60's. It will be no where as detailed as this one. Love the lift. The lighting is cool. Brickwork is great as is the plumbing.
Don't know why but I feel like working on my Dio Project a little tonight. It's all your fault. LOL

#72 bubba930

bubba930

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:Michael F. Akai

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Danny, I'm speechless, I was Totally Amazed with your Resin Parts for Model Cars, I was Shocked at your Weathering of your Parts & Cars, Now the DIO!!!!
I had no idea that I talked to you on the Phone that your Talent went a lot further then I ever imagine!!all that Talent in just one Mans hands is Totally Mind Blowing.
You darn near blew me out of Socks! really your a better Artist then I thought.
Big or Small "U DA MAN" from top to bottom from side to side your Garage really looks like it's in the 1920's Fantastic Workmanship and I'd have to say Totally Priceless, it belongs in a Museum for all to see, and for all to look upon your Magnificient Work of Art, cause thats what I think of it.
I have just about everything that you've made thus far, and most likely I'll own even more of your Products in the furture.
I've been around for 72 years now, and I relly have to say that this Forum, makes an Old Man Happy to be Alive.
Thanks Danny, & thanks to the rest of you all for showing your builds, I look forward to seeing some brillant Builds.

The Old Guy From Indiana

#73 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Man, those lights sure set the mood, don't they? Wow...fabulous!

#74 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

...thanks George, I'd like to see those pictures! Love these old buildings!......see ya Friday. P.S...I'm bringing some parts with me too.....

...thank you Chaz, I'm glad you were inspired to work a little on your dio. The same thing happened to me, watching all these great dio's being worked on made me want to get back into mine.

...thanks Mike, you are my official PR man!..checks in the mail!..LOL..

...thanks Tony, I really wasn't sure how all the lights being on together were going to work, but was pleasantly surprised at the effect.

#75 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Fantastic. The shot with the two cars in there really made it. Very nice work.

Charlie Larkin

#76 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

...thank you Charlie!

..got started on the detail work for the '41 Plymouth. It's going to be poised having a brake shoe change. The front shoes have already been swapped out. To save money the mechanic used the old springs and hardware. I guess the owner is a money miser! The rears are next. The front spindle and rear axle shaft will be put on once I get them weathered. Still need to weather the car a little more with some dust and a bit of road grime. The plan is to have the wheels and tires, tools, old and new shoes and other detail items laying around the car also. More to come, thanks for looking in.........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#77 bubba930

bubba930

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Your Work is just Great Danny, I have Fridge for you, one of these days I'll mail it to you.
This Garage is just Good, there are no words to discribe it.

Mike A.

Edited by rctrucker, 07 March 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#78 vaughn

vaughn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:terry vaughn white

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

Danny...I have followed this from day one. Your additions and creativity is outstanding and should be an inspiration to all! I for one am truly inspired but my time is so limited at this point. Now...just how did you create those wheels with brake shoes and springs? Thats really cool...as is the pipes and lighting and heck,just everything !! What is the overall dimensions of this Dio ? Good Stuff is all I can say.

#79 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

..thanks Mike and Vaughn for the kind words!

..Vaughn, the brake shoe assemblies I make and sell on my web site and E-bay. They don't come with the springs but are not hard to make. I use .008 brass wire for the main return springs, .005 brass wire for the adjuster spring and .003 magnetic wire for the cable to the adjuster lever. I simply wrap the wire around different size piano wire then cut them to length.
The pin at the top of the assembly is a standard straight pin with the head filed flat. For new looking sets I just paint them, for weathered ones I use rust colored paints and powders. The over all dimensions are 25" long x 12" deep x 10" high. Here's a couple of pics of the brake assemblies.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by dannyi, 08 March 2011 - 04:17 PM.

#80 bubba930

bubba930

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

Yes Danny your Amazing, at everything that you do,I've called you a Artist many times, and every piece that you sell is a master piece in its self.
Now your Diorama, is really again a piece of Art.
What's so nice about it, is that it's your complete own mind in this work, it's not a copy of any one thing, it comes from your mind, thats the neat part, the Plymouth, well it would be juyt another Model except for the fact that you really brought it to life with your own Brake Assembles, it's not like another Garage or model out there in the World of Minature!

The Old Man from Indiana