#221 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

... And this is my progress so far on the Corvair I'm building for the "Compact Division". There are two "Fire Extinguisher" holes in the engine lid because the engine has two carburetors - One on each side of the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since the car this one is being based on had a junkyard door on the passenger's side, it would have been painted that car's exterior color behind the trim panel. So that's the way it is here, complete with that car's black interior paint at the window sill. The car itself was white with a red interior originally as you can see in these pics. Notice the dashboard has been stripped of everything not essential to it being in the Derby. Hey, the factory AM/FM radio and Corsa instrument panel are high-dollar items in the Corvair hobby! The optional wood-rimmed sport steering wheel and telescopic steering column are expensive pieces too, so I have no idea why the guy left them in place! Also, the Optima Spiral Cell battery and fuel call are scratchbuilt, as was the rollcage. I'm going with the premium battery because the car will be running without an alternator and it will have an electric motor turning the fan. That way there's several inches more crush space behind the engine, since there's no need for a crank pulley anymore. Also notice the stolen road sign (a 25 MPH curve speed sign) that the prior owner pressed into service as a rust patch in the drivre's foot well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#222 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

Here we go! The "Nader's Nightmare" Corvair is all set to go out and pound the living snot out of any Mustangs and Dusters that dare get in it's way! I came to this Community build late in the game but the project took on a life of it's own. It's fun just to kick back and put something together that's not meant to be serious, just a flight of fancy. I've included some pics of the completed model with the "Junkyard Refugee", the model that the "Nightmare" was in a past life. (That is to say that someone bought the "Refugee" off of someone's front lawn for chump change and rebuilt it for the Derby. An awful waste of an honest-to-goodness well-optioned 1966 Corsa Turbo, but some Derby competitors don't take that into consideration. The car still has it's rare wood wheel and telescopic steering column, but at least the factory AM/FM radio and Corsa multi-gauge instrument panel are gone. The colors, gray and black primer, were chosen because they're inexpensive paints that the Derby car builder had lying around his shop. He wanted his car to look good but he didn't want to blow a bunch of money buying paint for it. Why number 96? Remember Ralph Nader's bogus allegation that Corvairs tend to roll over? Well, 96 looks the same upside down as it does right side up! (Hey, a Corvair fanatic can't take himself too seriously!) Finally, I've included a picture with my two entrants in this Community build posing proudly beside each other. Let me know what you think...

(Many thanks to Randy Webster, "Fanofratfink", for responding to my post in the "Wanted" forum looking for old Corvair bits and pieces. Randy generously sent me a box full of goodies, including the Nightmare's body! In the six weeks or so that I've been on the MCM website I'm finding out just how friendly and generous this community truly is.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#223 graintruck

graintruck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Full Name:gary devonshire

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

hey really like what you guys did on this page,. i used to run derbys all the time, can you recommend a good kit out there of a 70 to 77 body style caddy eledorodo or a mid to late 60 fury. or any crysler 4 door for that matter !

#224 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

hey really like what you guys did on this page,. i used to run derbys all the time, can you recommend a good kit out there of a 70 to 77 body style caddy eledorodo or a mid to late 60 fury. or any crysler 4 door for that matter !

Jo-Han had both the Eldorado and the Fury you mentioned. Both are out of production, but you can usually find them pretty easily on eBay, either as built-ups or still in the box. There is already one version of the Fury entered in this CBP, but I'm sure that I'm not the only guy on here who wouldn't mind seeing someone else's take on it. (Especially someone who has been out there bashing fenders!) As for the 4-door Chrysler, I think you're out of luck. I don't think I've ever seen one except for the much-modified, much-simplified AMT Snap Concorde from about a decade ago. Back in 2000, when ChryCo had announced their return to NASCAR, I used the body from that kit for a Winston Cup stocker!

#225 Railfreak78

Railfreak78

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wiltbank

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

Nice work Jim! I really like your Interstate car. Nice touches on the Corvair too. Jeez I need to finish my derby car I'm close.

#226 gappa508

gappa508

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Gappa

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

1989 Taurus that i just completed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#227 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

Nice work Jim! I really like your Interstate car. Nice touches on the Corvair too. Jeez I need to finish my derby car I'm close.

Thanks, Brian! These were a couple of fun builds. Some of my Corvair friends think my Corvair Demolition car is sheer madness; After all, who would want to tear up one of 'em? The way I look at it, they have solid unit bodies that stand up to a lot of abuse, and were designed to be solid performers. A friend of mine was T-boned by a mid-70's Olds 88 while driving his '65 Monza convertible... The Corvair's door would still open and close properly while the hood and fenders of the Olds were badly buckled and the radiator was split wide open. My friend drove his car home while the Olds, of course, had to be towed. Have fun completing your build!

#228 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

Gappa508: Nice job on your "After" build! One thing - You tore up an SHO? I'm sure there would be as many guys after you for that as are after me for trashing a Corvair! I see you built an Optima battery for your car too. Since I posted my pics, I've been asked by a few guys where I got mine...

#229 gappa508

gappa508

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

Gappa508: Nice job on your "After" build! One thing - You tore up an SHO? I'm sure there would be as many guys after you for that as are after me for trashing a Corvair! I see you built an Optima battery for your car too. Since I posted my pics, I've been asked by a few guys where I got mine...

thank you, yes i did tear up an sho and i have another one but no plans for it yet. I like your corvair derby car, very different. as far as the battery goes the one i used is resin but i have built others before with some evergreen plastic that came out exactly the same. ( i will post some more pics up in a few days because i decided to change the car a little bit to make it look more like one of my derby cars i ran last summer)

#230 Monte's Motors

Monte's Motors

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Boarman

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

That Taurus looks like the real thing.

Great work :)

#231 Brandon05l

Brandon05l

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Lee

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

Taurus looks great!!

#232 gappa508

gappa508

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the compliments, I did a little more work to the Taurus and here it is 100% complete...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Also here are some pics of the car i drove in 2 derbies last summer that was the inspiration for the build...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by gappa508, 20 April 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#233 gappa508

gappa508

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image

#234 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Alright guys, I again changed the final date to the end of May, since I've been so busy at school I haven't had any time to work on my build. :lol: I have however posted a thread in the Under Glass section for you guys to start posting your final builds!

#235 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

All done and posted Boss :lol:

Nick

#236 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

Alright guys, I again changed the final date to the end of May, since I've been so busy at school I haven't had any time to work on my build. ;) I have however posted a thread in the Under Glass section for you guys to start posting your final builds!

Oh, I knew there was something I forgot to build! :lol: :lol: Maybe I can finish one up in the next month. :lol: :blink: :huh: :blink: :lol:

#237 gappa508

gappa508

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Alright guys, I again changed the final date to the end of May, since I've been so busy at school I haven't had any time to work on my build. :lol: I have however posted a thread in the Under Glass section for you guys to start posting your final builds!

any limits to the pics we upload in the under glass section?? Like size and amount?

#238 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

any limits to the pics we upload in the under glass section?? Like size and amount?

I think the site automatically resizes the pics if they're too big, so that's not an issue. Amount, eh keep it under 6 or so.