85 GMC Van W.I.P. 1-28-13 DONE! DONE! DONE!

• You cannot reply to this topic
400 replies to this topic

#321 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

Real Nice Work Mike!

Very Realistic, Thanks for Sharing!

#322 carchub

carchub

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

FOXER, GET BACK TO WORK!! =D

#323 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

FOXER, GET BACK TO WORK!! =D

Oh no ..I'm caught! I have been sitting on this and my daughter has been saying exactly the same to me. I actually took a shot last Saturday and it didn't go well. What's holding me is finishing off the BMF on the windows .. my fingers aren't cooperating as they used to. I have to force myself again this week to take 10 deep breaths and go at it slowly. I know this is NOT beyond me yet. :)

I am thinking once I get past this and going full hog on it I should start a new thread since this has been dead for so long. I would put a link here at the start but it will not be a hassle to new people t the build unless they want to go back.

I DO appreciate the push, Roland! :)

#324 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

OK! Here we go again ... with the Mouse Rod finished as the first under glass in a LONG while, I got stoked and got back to this! The window trim BMF stopped me and now it's all done today! :) So, no stopping me now! :lol:
Posted Image

I almost started a new thread but couldn't split it up, so, sorry for you first timers here that had to wade through the first 17 pages.

After the BMF I noticed that one of the door hinges was gone and a piece of the hinge was .. UNGLUED! So back to the hinges . groan You can see the white spot on the left upper hinge in the photo.
Posted Image

I promise this one is back in gear and will be plenty of updates as it moves!

#325 Ryan S.

Ryan S.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Silva

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Nice to see this one back. With all the hard work you've put in it would be a shame to see it go unfinished. Keep up the good work!

Oh, the BMF looks great.

#326 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,991 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

About time. B)

#327 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

That is sooo cool... cant wait to see it done!

#328 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

This is moving down the historic path .. two steps forward and one back. I masked the body to spray some flat black where some old bodywork was done and just primered over. That went beautifully as I wanted the edges faded and leaving the masks loose at the edges accomplished that perfectly. Trouble was, the tape on the rear doors lifted some of the decals off. I made extra decals so that's not a big problem, but I don't need the extra work. :( You can compare this new shot to the one just above to see what got lifted off the rear doors. Also adding a photo of the 1:1 to see the black patched areas on the left side.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

The door hinge is repaired and just needs some touch up paint. Also cut out the patterns for the windows. I have some purple tinted clear plastic from report folders but it's not the best shade. Going to have to visit Michel's again to see if they have some better purple shades. I'm ready to Alclad the bumpers, but still nervous as this will be my first chrome Alclad job. :o

#329 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

Looking Good!

David G.

#330 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:28 AM

OH MY!!~! I just saw next year's NLL East SubTheme ... VANS!

I'm FINISHING this!!!! :D

#331 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Stiles

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

I am so glad to see this one back on the bench,this is one amazing replica,prime work is soooooo dead on!!!

#332 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks Mike. I just read your profile intro about your "motorhead" daughter ... :) That's exactly why I had to get back to this rendering of my daughter's van ... what a motorhead! She hasn't let up on me since I took a break. I though I was safe since she just turned her dog sitting business full tilt with building and all ,,, but even with 14 hour days she hasn't let up.

You KNOW you'll have to treat us to your daughter's work if she does start building! :)

Edited by Foxer, 28 June 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#333 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Mike. I just read your profile intro about your "motorhead" daughter ... :) That's exactly why I had to get back to this rendering of my daughter's van ... what a motorhead! She hasn't let up on me since I took a break. I though I was safe since she just turned her dog sitting business full tilt with building and all ,,, but even with 14 hour days she hasn't let up.

You KNOW you'll have to treat us to your daughter's work if she does start building! :)

Having a "motorhead" daughter is coolest as we both know!!!,as my dad always said "its in the blood" ;) I just posted her first build last week,a Model A coupe,quite proud of it,shoot she laid on a mean paint for being her first spray,and shes got a tractor/trailer shes been on off with..

#334 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Having a "motorhead" daughter is coolest as we both know!!!,as my dad always said "its in the blood" ;) I just posted her first build last week,a Model A coupe,quite proud of it,shoot she laid on a mean paint for being her first spray,and shes got a tractor/trailer shes been on off with..

AHHH . that's your daughter! I know I commented on that post ... amazing firs build she did! My daughter had no interest in building models, but she does work on her 1:1's. :)

#335 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

AHHH . that's your daughter! I know I commented on that post ... amazing firs build she did! My daughter had no interest in building models, but she does work on her 1:1's. :)

Mike 1:1's is even better,my avatar is a piture of my daughter in our 'Vair right after she helped me get it runnin' after a 10yr hibernation,she was the one who pushed me to get it running and road worthy and the Lil' doober helped at wat ever her little hands could do......you n I are one lucky dads :D ,thanks for sharing!!!!

#336 socal76

socal76

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Clark

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Foxer, I have to add my two cents in here. I am glad you did not split the post. I am new to this one and I went through all 17 pages and enjoyed every bit of it. Even with all of the issues you have had, this is still an incredible read and well worth the time. And judging by all the other comments, I know I am not the only one that is saying you have done some mighty fine work! Funny thing is, I have always wanted some of the A-Team vans, but only for the Mr. T figure!! But now I am going to have to think about getting back to an old van project I first started over 15 years ago! Not as detailed as yours, but a bit different in concept. But you did get my attention! Keep up the work on this one!!

#337 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm a happy camper tonight! I did my first Alclad chrome paint on the bumpers, hubcaps and mirrors and it came out fantastic! I've been paranoid of Alclad but with all the help here (on MCM forum) I had it down and was simple as pie to apply. :) The front bumper was a bit dull (the black paint) but it looks just right for this beat up van. It still needs the body color separation and black wash. The mirrors and rear bumper exceeded my expectations. The hubcaps need decals so will be in a later post. I also did the front grill for my Infinity build which I also love!

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Infiniti doesn't belong here but I'm just too up not to post it!!!! :)
Posted Image

#338 91blaze

91blaze

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Full Name:John Shull

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Wow, this is looking great! I'm gonna have to steal some of your tricks when I finally make my dad's work van.

#339 Ryan S.

Ryan S.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Silva

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Really nice job on the Alclad, especially for you first time! Keep it going!

#340 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Some seemingly small updates but It's been going steady since the last one. The chassis got the suspension and exhausts mounted. Had to make new front shocks which are shown unpainted with the rusted up wheels. Once the front spindles are mounted (pin keeps jumping to the carpet .. Grrrr ) the chassis is dome and wheels can be mounted. The front hubcaps are chromed (Alclad) and just need the decals I had shown before on a different set.

Posted Image
Posted Image