Cuttin' up a Kenworth
Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:57 PM
Here's a quick mock up in the frame
Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:52 AM
Looks good! I was just thinking that you got the colour of the engine perfect then noticed the rattle can in the background! Did you get that direct from Clatterpillar?
Oh by the way I like both the short frome and the long frame. The long frame reminds me of the Alaskan KW Tim has just built. The truck looks good in the grey primer and the black frame. Gives it that sort of aged weathered look.
Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that both the W900 & K100 Aerodynes in 1976 had the tandem torsion bar suspension as an option. So, on that note, both of my Bicentennial Kenworths will have the tandem torsion bar suspension. Have to make a matched set, ya know.
We had a 76 W900 with torsion bar suspension at the sod farm! They had added a wet kit and was using it to also pull a dump trailer, not really a great idea at all! So first winter I worked there I changed it over to an air ride system taken from a wrecked 77 (twisted frame from tipping over a load of frozen roadmix) they had sitting there in the truck barn!
Sure made for a less kidney busting ride!
Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:56 PM
Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:15 PM
My main mod 2day was to the hood. I have a photoetch detail set that was meant for the Revell AG W900, but I kept thinking it would look good on this kit. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it just kept nagging at me. So, with the knowledge that I have a spare hood and grille at home, I went ahead and opened up the hood and grille. After the cuts were made, I did some more test fitting and found the new grille fits real nice. I'll show that when it's mounted.
Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:05 AM
Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:03 AM
Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:38 AM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:43 AM
However it also made me realize why no one has made a resin day cab for this kit, the rest of the conversion would be almost as much work, cutting down the interior tub and sleeper base molded to the frame. Anyone willing to take that on can probably do the cab as well. Then there is the cost even a modestly priced cab would double the price of the kit.
I have one favor to ask, could you tell me the measurements of the back window and how far above the bottom of the cab the bottom of the window is?
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:01 AM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:36 AM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:51 AM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:21 PM
You could also make it a Aerodyne II sleeper by replacing the square sleeper doors with the round sleeper doors from the AMT T600 kit.
Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:26 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:26 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:27 PM
Aaron, here are the measurements you asked for. I took my 1/25 Scale Card and measured, so these are in scale inches. Bottom of window to bottom of cab, 33". Top of window to bottom of window, 18". Window side to side, 29".
Thanks, that will help. Thanks for the inspiration too, I finally have an idea for this kit.
Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:28 PM
Ray, if you did that, would you have to switch the hood to make it a W900B? I'm thinking that you'd have to.
Yes, it would be a W900B. I was going to use the Aerodyne roof from this project on a T600 sleeper for a later year Aerodyne. Your idea sounds cool, too. It would be for a W900B. The earliest W900B's had the square corner doors on the sleeper like the Snap kit. The round corner doors started appearing around '85 or so. I have a Gary Wallace W900B kit that I plan on using with a Snap kit to model an early W900B.
Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:05 PM
As for the mods, I used the fuel tanks from a Revell AG Kenworth W900 kit. They were the perfect size for my shortened frame. The Visor came from an AMT W925. To install it, I notched the corners of the cab and thinned the visor. I got the idea from the Revell AG kit, since the cab in that kit is notched where the visor goes.
Since this is the 1991 re-issue of this kit with the "self stripping chrome", I went ahead and painted the bumper, wheels, and battery boxes with Model Master Aluminum Plate buffing laquer. They still need another coat, I just wanted to see how it looked.
Thanks for looking.