#1 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

So here is my arch nemesis! I have a strong love/hate relationship with this pickup. I purchased it in a hobby shop over 10 years ago. It was an opened/half started project that I got for next to nothing. I rushed it home and started almost immediately. Fast forward......Yes, I'm still trying to get it done 10 years later! I was not happy with the detail level of the kit so I'm undoing and redoing everything Monogram did from the factory. This is part of my problem and why it's taking so long. I thought I'd post this up here so I'd be driven enough to finish this darn thing. Please keep me going. I want it done so I can get onto the next "long-lasting, hasn't been touched in years project". :blink:

#2 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

So here are a couple of mock-up shots I took probably 5 years ago or more. You can see where I had to add styrene to the firewall to fix the hood to cowl gap. I also (carefully) shaved/smoothed out the trim and the molding that went down the center of the hood. I wanted to save the louvers. Getting the hood to sit right and close up gaps all around was a real chore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Here is another couple of old shots. This is sitting on the wheels and tires that it will sit on. If memory serves me correctly, the wheels and tires are from The Modelhaus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

So yesterday I finally pulled it out and blew the dust off of it and I thought I'd throw up a couple more pics showing where I'm at with this thing.

This is the first time I've looked at it in probably at least 3 years.

Posted Image

#5 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

Here you can see what I've done to the frame. I got rid of all of the molded-in "detail". I also shortened the frame up in the rear so I could snug it up a little closer to the truck so to help with lowering it. I think it will look better without a rear bumper anyway. You can also see the bracket I made for the master cylinder.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here you can see where I took out all of the molded-in wood. I left the last portion until I'm done tweaking everything. I figured it would give it a little bit of strength. It will receive a real wood bed.

Posted Image

#6 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

And then....FINALLY....some current progress pics I took from yesterday and today. Feels good to actually get something done on it!! I couldn't find a dropped solid axle that I liked so I decided to put an idependent front suspension from a '57 Chevy under it. I'm building this truck as a traditional rod so I figured '57 Chevy suspension would be kinda cool. Here you can see where I hacked out the original cross member and where I installed the Chevy cross member with A-arms.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

So here is everything primed and ready for paint minus my two front wheels and backing plates which I must have used for another project. I'll order those and the paint this next week. Also, I'll be using a Ross Gibson engine for this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Looking good so far.

#9 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Wow, keep it going. It is looking awesome. I love the builds that start from pieces or half started kits to begin with.

#10 Kanedge

Kanedge

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Full Name:Kane

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

Keep going, i like the look of where this is heading.
Don't worry, my last build fought me all the way, but I think I came out wiser for the process.

#11 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

I'm liking this one a lot.

#12 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:21 AM

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I need. I'm really fired up about getting this thing done finally!

#13 Modellpularn

Modellpularn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:46 AM

Wow, you're really tweaking and fixing this kit! It's kind of funny, when you get a kit that's started, you want to rescue it, and then put all kinds of work effort into it. More than a fresh kit. I have an AMT '55 Chevy pickup that I did a lot to fix, but not nearly as much as yours. It's not finished btw..... Plans are for a work truck, weathered.

#14 mikelo

mikelo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Lomaka

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

Good stuff so far. I couldn't get mine done either, so I blended it with a 37 ford to make a different year. Got further, but still not done. So, I had to get another one to build. I do know they look good when done. Great job with the details so far.

Mike

#15 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

I have many started kits older than this, so don't be discouraged. They like sitting and being massaged again after all those restful years! Usually your skills have improved in some way and things you stopped for are a piece of cake now. I just wish I still had some of the started customs from my youth 50 years ago.

I like the things you're doing to this ... so we'll be watching and making you keep going! :D

#16 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

How long does it take to get paint from MCW? :lol:

#17 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

Ummm.....nevermind. It showed up today. ;)

Posted Image

#18 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

I should hopefully be able to start laying down some color this weekend!!

#19 jeff ewaskey

jeff ewaskey

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Ewaskey

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Lookin cool so far. Gonna keep a close watch on this as I have a 40 coupe I have been struggling with for around twice as long. Hopefully I can pirate some inspiration from you. lol

#20 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,187 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

I'm having trouble with this kit as well. I have a box containing parts from two kits and the cab is from a very old release. The whole car is getting the flat black trewatment, but the flat black blushes badly (Duplicolor lacquer and yes I know flats don't blush, this one does!) on the cab, no matter what I prime with or what temp/humidity level I paint at. It's a real shame because it's a great looking build. Still trying.