25 replies to this topic

#21 Dragon7665

Dragon7665

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

[quote name='Bluzboy66'][quote name='Dragon7665']Tweedy Pie was one of the cars I was Lucky enough to shoot the breeze with Big Daddy about, back when I was 18 8) (Rest in Peace Big Daddy! :cry: )
He stated that he bought Tweedy from Bob Johnston of Anaheim and proceeded to remove the Flathead, and Modify it his Way(Chevy Motor Quad Headlights,T Gas Tank out back to replace the bed, Chrome, and Larry Watson Paint and with Roth Striping).[/quote]

You're a very lucky man. What I would have done to have a moment with the legend himself! I did get to meet George Barris, a living legend in his own right, but Roth really was the king.

Mike[/quote]
Yeah I definately concider that one of my Best all Out Kustomizer Icon Moment! I was really a Bigg Kidd and Goof, cause I was stammering the whole time whenever I was talking to him! It was surreal for me to say the least, Ed just smile & Winked at me, and told me to take my time. I knew he had other things to do, and other people to talk to, so I asked him about the first thing that popped in my head(Tweedy Pie). He was really Kool and just told me everything about it.

Really wished that I had a camera on hand when I met him, but I left mine at home because when they originally gave details about the show, the promoters just made it seem like the same one they did every year. I didn't find out till I was inside with my Father, that Ed was there. Turns out he was a last minute Guest Kustomizer 8) Was able to get his Autograph on a RatFink Coloring book he had(Hey I said that Im a Bigg Kidd!), but I think it may have been ruined in a flood at my Father's place a few years later :lol:

[quote name='Bluzboy66']Man, thanks SP much for that post! The pics are incredible. I may have to add the Roth pinstriping to my model.

Mike

[quote name='Dragon7665']Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Tweedy Pie
Tweedy Pie runs as good as it looks. Engine,tranny,rearend, brakes, electrical, lighting, steering, suspension - everything - is in fine working order.

Year Built: 1962
Body: 1923 Model T Roadster
4" channel over shortened '32 rails, 84 inch wheelbase,forward rake, narrowed rear
'32 Ford grille shell, chopped.
'24 T Fuel Tank
Chrome smoothie firewall
Roth Tubular Chrome Nerf bars
Chromed oil pan
Rolled and pleated white naugahyde interior
Burgundy paint with Roth pinstriping

Engine: 1958 Corvette V8 270
Carburation: Chromed Stromberg 97 6-pack on polished Offy manifold.
Instrumentation: Hand formed dash, four Stewart Warner guages
Transmission: '51 Ford Truck
Differential: '48 Ford Truck, chromed center
Front Axle: '48 Ford
Exhaust: Custom, chromed, interior Maxim-type baffles.
Brakes/Steering '48 Ford Truck, aluminum Ross steering box
Wheels: Chrome reverse with Baby Moons.
Weight: 1700 lbs.[/quote][/quote]
NP with the Posts and the pics, somehting that I wanted to do as a Remembrance of Ed, since the date of that peticular post was done on the day of his passing back in '01. Something I plan on trying to post about every year, until I am able to build a fullsize(if not smaller) Tibute to Ed(Tweedy would be the closest thing to my abilities, and over-all keeper factor!). :D

#22 ramonesblues

ramonesblues

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

I met Ed Roth at the San Mateo car show, around '62 when he first showed the Beatnik Bandit. I was standing there talking to him while he airbrushed a tee shirt, when a friend of mine came up and ran his hand over the back of the Bandit. Roth literally leaped over the table and on a dead run, kicked my friend square in the butt, lifting him a good foot and a half off the ground. I will remember that day 'till i die.

#23 Dragon7665

Dragon7665

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

^^^^^^^ :D :D :o I could so see Ed doing that!!! :lol: :lol: I heard he was pretty protective when it came to his stuff! Some say he was an A-hole, but if you asked him nicely(especially if you were a kid, I was a Large 16-18yr. old!), he'd let you take a look at it closer. Ed had the newly finished Beatnik Bandit II on display behind him, when I met him. He offered me a ride if he could free up sometime at the end of the show, but later I had to leave, and his booth just got too busy :cry: Would have stayed till the end of the show, but my Father worked swing shift at Boeing, so he had to take me home and drop me off. :lol:

#24 Kruzer

Kruzer

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

Wauw this realy inspire me to start up my kit I have sitting on the shelf.

#25 Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Forrester

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

I met Ed Roth at the San Mateo car show, around '62 when he first showed the Beatnik Bandit. I was standing there talking to him while he airbrushed a tee shirt, when a friend of mine came up and ran his hand over the back of the Bandit. Roth literally leaped over the table and on a dead run, kicked my friend square in the butt, lifting him a good foot and a half off the ground. I will remember that day 'till i die.

:lol:

Mike

#26 Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Forrester

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Wauw this realy inspire me to start up my kit I have sitting on the shelf.

You and me both! I finished the Tweedy about a year ago, and I couldn't wait to start working on another Roth kit. My Outlaw is now underway. My 10 year-old son, Alex, just built the Beatnik Bandit II, and entered it in a local hobby store model contest......he took FIRST PLACE in the ADULT CLASS!!!! Here's a few pics........

Mike

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image