#21 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle "LOBBS" Laubscher

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

if i had $400 id pay my rent olololololol i still have to go cheap my $30 under the bed .. im going to have rise it to $50 ... still looking for a fan

To each his own. I've got a stay at home wife and four kids so I know a thing or two about living frugally. I still can't imagine cutting corners on certain things like tools or safety.

#22 mr cheap

mr cheap

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Full Name:james shafer

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

going too cheap is a real dangerus problem on something that blow in your face ....safety is all ways #1.........the fan i was going to use was not going to work was not expolsive vapor friendly

Edited by mr cheap, 28 July 2011 - 06:58 AM.

#23 papi62596

papi62596

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Nelson Fontanez

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

I made my 1st paint booth from plywood and muffin fans (large ones) that they were throwing away at work. It worked great, but I now use a Pace Paint Booth that I bought off someone that won it at a swap meet and didn't really want it. He paid about $25 for tickets and I got it for $75 and love it. Not a bad deal for a booth that costs over $200 from Pace. I'll probably be looking into building a biger booth or seeing what Passche or Pace have to offer when I'm ready to upgrade. The only thing that I found bad with my Pace Paint Booth is the filter size wasn't a standard one is hard to find around here, but I'm able to find them on the internet at a premium (expensive) price . The way I got around that was to buy filters and modifing (cut them to the size I needed) them to fit my needs. With them being pleated filters with metal wiring that wasn't an easy task, so I made about 5 at one time.

Edited by papi62596, 11 October 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#24 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle "LOBBS" Laubscher

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

The thread police are probably going to come get me for dragging this one back out.  

One of the big projects I was working on before I stepped away for awhile was this booth.  In the new house, my hobby room does not  have a window.  My plan to get around this was to use carbon filtration to trap the VOCs and odors.  The big hangup back then was the fact that these activated-carbon filters were still a relative niche item and the only reliable source I was looking at would be Grainger.  This carried a pretty healthy premium at around $30 a pop and you had to order a multi-pack to obtain them.

That all changed tonight when I had to stop by the Walmart on the way home from work to pick up some filters for the house.  Up on the top shelf, I found these:

91pqT8yZAJL_SL1500__zps94f6ae29.jpg

Carbon filtration has finally hit the mainstream and they aren't too expensive at around $16. As I illustrated in the OP this is the second stage in my stack of filters with primary filter above this one in the stream to capture the bulk of the overspray.  That method should protect this one from having to do much more than just capture the nasty, dangerous stuff.  I built in extra airflow capacity by going with the larger Dayton blower to account for the multiple stages of filtration and the expected resistance. I'm really excited now to get my booth finished up so that I can prove my concept correct.

#25 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

All Right!! Another 3M product being used in modeling!! Great choice ;)

#26 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Full Name:David Gusky

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Kyle,

Interesting thread! A year ago, I moved my family from a large home in the Northeast to a 2 bedroom apartment in Central Florida.  Prior to the move, I had begun construction of a downdraft booth with a Grainger sourced Dayton fan.  It is a down draft booth, designed after reading Klaus's articles.  The booth is made of plywood, and has an open plastic grid from a fluorescent light fixture that allows a large amount of air to from down to the filter.  I like your idea of a carbon filter, as venting the booth to the outside can be a challenge in the small apartment.  I will look into the filters as an alternative!

David