#81 Nick Notarangelo

Nick Notarangelo

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Full Name:Paul D.Notarangelo

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

I already lost one complete collection of models to fire when I lived in rhode island,almost 1000 kits and stuff from scifi and comic books.no im up to about 100 kits and thats it,luck for me I had all my hobby tools and a limited amount of paints at a freinds so I didnt lost my tools

#82 Mark Brown

Mark Brown

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

Here's a question for everyone: How would you feel if your model kit collection caught fire and burned?

Between all the models, model parts, paint, CDs and books, it would be a fire that would probably be visible from space! :D

#83 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

We almost lost our stuff to fire a couple years ago in San Diego. It's funny, you figure out whats really important when your under the gun like that! I remember having to pack the car with everything important. The only model I packed was the 935 Porsche with the SMS kit. (1/12) The 68 Dart GTS I have was in the driveway and I was willing to let it burn also but thought about it when I couldn't sleep and saw the fire come over the hill. Ended up putting the bottom back together at 4am with air tools and stayed at the ready. (bottom half was on the ground cause I was changing bearings out with the engine still in the car when the fires broke out!)

Back on topic: do I consider myself a hoarder. Nah. A collector? Somewhat as some of what I own will never get built but that's only like 5% of what I have stashed away. I'd say close to 600 now. If anything were to happen to me, the wife has instructions........ Give what the kids want to them (built or unbuilt) and ebay the rest. I'm sure she wouldn't want this stuff laying around anyhow.
Paul

I already lost one complete collection of models to fire when I lived in rhode island,almost 1000 kits and stuff from scifi and comic books.no im up to about 100 kits and thats it,luck for me I had all my hobby tools and a limited amount of paints at a freinds so I didnt lost my tools

#84 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

I figured ours would go up like a Roman Candle! Someone in space would be wondering who would be firing at them! :D

Between all the models, model parts, paint, CDs and books, it would be a fire that would probably be visible from space! :lol:

#85 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Peppershaker

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

When I got my 1;1 57 Chevy 6 years ago, I had to cut down what I bought & sold some of the kits I'd probably never build. 90% of my 57 diecast collection is being sold or has been.
I must have 120 kits that are planned builds, mostly 57's & muscle cars. I try to limit myself to what I buy now, but couldnt resist 2 more Revell sedans & 69 Nova yesterday !

About anothe 100 that are a keeper collection (nearly all of the 57 Chevy kits that I know have been issued)
I first got into 57 Chevys throgh kits, hence my user name.

Hoarder ? Nah, but I'm working on it B)

#86 oldnslow

oldnslow

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Lightsey

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:22 AM

I quess I'm in the addicted to plastic, collector/hoarder/builder catagory. B) The collection was over 5,000 several years ago and I stopped counting. I've been buiding models since I was 9 and I'm pushing 61 hard. The habit has been on and off again as family andf life dictated but I've always been a builder, model cars, trains, motorcycles, street rods and dragsters. Physical restraints are coming on my ability to do the full size stuff and the models have taken priority again, but I really like to stay busy with my hands, but look on the bright side, with this many kits I'll get to live to Mathusela's age to build the ones I want! ;)

#87 paul alflen

paul alflen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Full Name:paul alflen

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

ANY GUYS WHEN WE DIE OUR STASH OF KITS WILL FLOOD THE MARKET, THOSE RARE STASHED KITS WILL BECOME PLENTIFUL AGAIN,AND PRICES WILL PLUMMET!!!!!!!!! EITHER THAT OR OUR KIDS AND GRAND KIDS WILL TOSS THEM!!!

#88 Mark Brown

Mark Brown

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:38 AM

ANY GUYS WHEN WE DIE OUR STASH OF KITS WILL FLOOD THE MARKET, THOSE RARE STASHED KITS WILL BECOME PLENTIFUL AGAIN,AND PRICES WILL PLUMMET!!!!!!!!! EITHER THAT OR OUR KIDS AND GRAND KIDS WILL TOSS THEM!!!

Unless modelers get specific in their wills (probably a topic for another thread) I expect most of them will wind up in estate sales and then get eBayed by people who specialize in liquidating estates.

#89 kitbash1

kitbash1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Full Name:Douglas Graves

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

I do believe that most people here are not hoarders. I do question those who have several thousand kits stashed in closets, basements, attics, storage sheds, garages, and storage lockers away from their homes. They may have only the vaguest idea of what they have stashed away in those areas. And, what are they going to do with them? I doubt that any of those kits would ever get built...or see the light of day.
[/quote]

I know what I have in my collection at all times. All my kits are on a spread sheet program, I have a printed list on all of the storeage boxes to let me know what's inside. Any kits that are added or removed are loged in or out. Sounds extrme but it works for me. And my collection is insured on a seperate policy.

#90 DRG

DRG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Full Name:Donald R. Gardner.
    I work hard, I build models for relaxation and fun.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

I, personally will leave everything, after the daughter and wife have picked what they want that's built, to the local Model Club.

#91 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:00 AM

Hopefully I will still be young enough to dumpster dive.

#92 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

I'm sorry Steve, but I don't sell or trade my kits.

Besides, though it's not finished, that Cuda's body is no longer stock. If you recall the concept Cuda Juha Ario won the Custom Model Car Clinic in Car Modeler 1999 with, that's my inspiration & the reason I bought the kit.

:)

Yes I remember that car, I also have that issue sitting on my desk, Alot of work went into that car he did. :D

#93 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:43 AM

I figured that after a few days of no new posts, this subject was destined for the archieves, but I am sitting here looking at my parts box and all the built kit boxes that I have not cleaned out due to my parts box being quite full. The 2-In-1 and 3-In-1 kits are starting to become a bit of a problem for me now. With parts in the kits that I am not using, where shall I keep the the extra bits? It reminded me of this thread and I thought that this would add a new wrinkle. We have discussed the kits aspect of model hoarding, but what about the spare parts that we all have? Do you keep them, toss them, trade or sell them?

What do you do with your spare parts?

#94 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

I take my extra parts, put them in a zip lock baggie with a label as to what they are from and drop them in a plastic tote. Makes it much easier to find stuff than digging through bins of loose parts and trees.
Paul

#95 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Jones

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:33 AM

I usually go through the left overs and keep what I want. Since I don't have the collection most of you guys do, I dont have that much extra. So it doesn't take up that much space.

#96 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:56 AM

Are we addicted to styrene? I know I am . . . and if I'm not careful I ended up opining all the kits I get just to get a strong whiff of youth, fantasy, and CRANKY start the imagination. I really like this thread . . . it makes me feel young again! Thank you. :lol:

#97 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

NEVER... NEVER... NEVER... throw away model parts! It goes against the model builders code. I have it written down here... somewhere... maybe under this pile? I dunno. It's somewhere around here.

#98 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

I found it Jon...it was under that pile of tires..

Modeler Builder's Code Rule #7, Subsection A, Paragraph 3

- Modeler of the First Part (Herein referred to as builder), shall never upon completion of Model Kit of the Second Part (Herein referred to as 2n1/3n1/4n1 model kit), ever under any circumstances dispose of leftover parts from model kit, except to trade with Modeler of the Third Part (Herein referred to as "Trading Partners") for other leftover parts from model kits.

- Violation of this Subsection shall require Builder to be substantially mocked by Modelers in the Fourth Part (Herein referred to as "Forum Members"), when at such time Builder realizes he needs the parts he just disposed of in his next build.

I put my spare parts in labeled zip lock bags, and then into a Rubbermaid tub they go.

#99 Boreham

Boreham

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Full Name:Punch Confhaola
    AHJS / OPPTS Member
    AHJS(Anti Hi jacking Society)
    OPPTS(One Post Per Thread Society)

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

last time I did an inventory it was 220...that was 3 years ago.. :)

trouble is I ain't building..and as One Forum member branded me lately.."A collector"... hoarder I can handle... but not Collector

here ""some"" on the recent (last 2 years ). purchases..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#100 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:07 AM

Part of my problem is that I need to better organize my parts box. I also belong to the Classic Plastic Model Club and any spare parts that I don't want or need, I can bring to a meeting and let the other members take what they want.