#41 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Full Name:Don

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:59 AM

Alight then, being 63 and figuring 30 bucks for the kit and motor, a couple cans of spray paint and few of those small testers paint jars I guess I qualify.
Here's a few pics of where I'm at. Sanded and starting assembling the resin Gibson engine.

Posted Image

Detailed the kit wheels with a little paint.

Posted Image

Assembling the chassis and adding a bit of paint detail.....a little rust and road road grime as this is intended to be a driver not a trailer queen.

Posted Image

The addition of the disc brakes was a pain in the butt but sure looks a lot better that the kit "toy" back wheel half.

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 05 May 2011 - 04:59 AM.

#42 wontonkiller

wontonkiller

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Andy

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

more work to the 65' Gt500..

Engine now fits thanks to some work on the engine bay..
Posted Image

All of the suspension parts from the 2005 are fitting on the 1965 with some mods.
Posted Image

Also working on the custom cage.
Posted Image

#43 Tom Reid

Tom Reid

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Reid

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

looking good bud.

#44 TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:Dustin

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

GT40 is finished, but I'm not happy with the way it turned out. This kit, at least for me, was a nightmare. It'll look good on the shelf, but it really fell short of how I wanted it to look.

Posted Image
DSCN1297 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN1304 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN1298 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN1292 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Edited by TheDocktor40, 12 May 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#45 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:53 AM

Got a little more done on the "Super Fish".
I scratch built a distributor from scrap as the resin one was too difficult for me to drill out individual holes for plug wires.
I cut the grille from the valance as I won't be using it with the Super Fish nose.

Posted Image

I'm in the process of modifying the kit intake manifold as I don't want to use that big super stock one that came with the Gibson engine. Also added a little more texture to the valve covers after drilling for the plug wires, hopefully a light coat of flat black will give me that "factory" wrinkle paint look. It's also good practice for the vinyl top I'll be adding later.

Posted Image

There's a couple of slightly blurry pics coming up as my club fingers inadvertently switched off my macro setting and I didn't want to take the time to re-shoot them....sorry 'bout that. I'm not going to go with the "shaker" hood. I'll be turning it around backwards and molding it into the hood for a little more slippery shape.

Posted Image

Started cobbling up the nose...you can never have too many clamps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's difficult to see in the photo but the added nose extention is peaked in the center and turned upward at the edges.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

As you guys that have built this model know, the front end of this car sits way too high.....rather than weaken the kit torsion bar suspension I'll channel the body down a bit in front. You can see in the pic where I'll be trimming the inner fender panels. Probably will have to cut the floor pan from the interior tub and shorten it's height a bit also. Still, all in all it's easier than moving the spindles up.

Posted Image

The next two pics show the mocked up nose and "swing set" rear spoiler. Sure it would have been easier to pick up a junk Superbird kit and modify the nose and spoiler for this build but where's the fun in that? Perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 BOSWELL891

BOSWELL891

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Full Name:Cole Boswell

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Just got started on the charger this week because I've been busy lately but I've got the body and frame painted the motors painted too just not assembled yet. The motor is the 426 hemi because I'm doing the car dragster style.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image

i like where the body work is going here but im confused about the shaker
its on the wrong side of the hood and facing the wrong way

whats your angle ?
(no pun intended)

#49 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:39 AM

Eelco, I won't be using the scoop as a "Shaker" air cleaner.
I'm lowering the front of the car by channeling the front of the body down on the belly pan and will add Super Bird type bumps on the tops of the fenders for tire clearance. The shaker will be molded into the the hood with the openings facing the windshield.
I'll fab up an air cleaner for the carbs under the hood.
The nose and rear spoiler are all intended to make the car slippery and provide down force at high speeds....that shaker (as it comes) is just top end wind drag...that's why it's becoming an integral part of the hood and turned around, it'll act more as a vent for under hood trapped air and heat and add a little bling.
My intention is to make the Cuda look like an attempt by Plymouth to build a race inspired factory "baby" Superbird for the muscle car crowd of the period.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 23 May 2011 - 04:40 AM.

#50 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

Due to the things that pop up in every day life, I'm not going to be able to complete this car by the 31st. I'll complete it in the work bench section.

#51 wontonkiller

wontonkiller

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Andy

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

Well I got it down by the 31st..

Car overall I am happy with I think, some fit and finish issues with it at the end again these are 2 kits not suppose to work so surprise it didnt.

Again GT500 motor , suspension and some interior went into a 65' GT350...

So I present ...65 GT500 :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for all who did a car in this challenge.