#41 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron James

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Guys I just want to say that I am so proud to see how this CBP is coming along. I am already amazed at some of the care that is going into these models. I feel like we're just a group of guys hanging out in garages, drinking beer and restoring classic cars.

Keep at it guys. I've been a little um.... preoccupied with my recent girlfriend so time in the hobby room has lessenned but as soon as i get some automotive filler and some PE supplies I'll begin building the body and posting pics.

Thanks again guys!

#42 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Guys I just want to say that I am so proud to see how this CBP is coming along. I am already amazed at some of the care that is going into these models. I feel like we're just a group of guys hanging out in garages, drinking beer and restoring classic cars.

Keep at it guys. I've been a little um.... preoccupied with my recent girlfriend so time in the hobby room has lessenned but as soon as i get some automotive filler and some PE supplies I'll begin building the body and posting pics.

Thanks again guys!

hey i know one vehicle ill be restoring! (hint: add 2 cbp)
ill be restoring a 1978 chevy stepside p/u i found it in a "barn" wearing no paint but there is absolutly no rust on it at all!
so ill be pending on when i get it to look at it closer but i think i may just polish the chrome out alittle and paint it some color and get the drivetrain up and running and work on the enterior alittle it should be show ready! soon i hope!!! ;)

#43 ChevyFan

ChevyFan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

Wow that 56 is insane I wanna cut one up now

Thanks for that, I'm hoping it turns out the way that I want. Go on then, do it, and get in here (provided it's a gluebomb 56). I was concerned even though the body was trashed before I started (this is my first time trying a lot of this stuff). I'm starting to see progress now and I'm really enjoying it.

There are some great resto's and projects going on here, can't wait to see more join, and more pics of the rebuilds. Hope we all keep at it and get these things finished.

#44 Airfilter

Airfilter

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Im in with my 60 Ford Sunliner
Posted Image

Doug, your choice is perfect. :lol: What is your plan? Factory stock, lowrider, or custom? Normal, metal or custom paint job?

Pali

#45 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Time for the next installment in the restoration of my '65 Corvair annual:

Posted Image

She's got her first coat of primer over the grafted section, with the putty work close to done. This shot shows how I went about adding the wheel lip molding that AMT somehow forgot abourt when they made the molds for their 1965-'69 Corvairs. It's not hard to do it this way; DEFINITELY easier than scribing in the line!

Posted Image

A guide coat for the grafted-in section.

Posted Image

Same thing from the other side.

Posted Image

This guide coat shows that I still have some work to do on the roof. Seems Junior was a little glue-happy when it came to installing the glass...

Posted Image

FINALLY! The final guide coat shows that she's mostly ready for a proper coat of primer... but...

Posted Image

... It seems that when I was scribing the window reveal moldings to make them easier to foil later on, my knife went clear through the plastic in a couple of places, including knocking a chunk out of the air inlet grille entirely! (Look at the left side of the base of the window and you can see the patch I had to make. Yes, there were some choice words in the air then!)
(Sorry this one's out of focus. I guess I was trying to get TOO close!)

Posted Image

Well, with a lot of finesse I was able to fix the problem. Here the repaired areas are puttied in, and I've installed the engine lid gutter. Also notice how the tail panel has been reconfigured inside to conform to the 1:1 car. I thinned it down to a closer-to-scale thickness and changed the contour to the proper curvature around the license plate pocket and added the inset for the latch.

#46 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

Nothing intresting done with the Charger. Redid the chassis and checked the body.

#47 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Here's my progress so far.

I know it looks rough, but the idea in my head looks amazing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm working on a glass bonnet so you can see the big hemi I'm sticking under there. body work will begin as soon as I get some more supplies.

#48 Airfilter

Airfilter

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I know it looks rough

It's a Frankenstein :lol:

#49 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

It's a Frankenstein :unsure:

I know hey? Once I chop the roof everyone's going to to "Ahh, I get it now"

#50 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:49 AM

Can I put my Mooneyes pickup in here that I've already started or does it have to be something new from today on...?

#51 roadhawg

roadhawg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Logan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

I usually don't get involved in CBPs, but with a year to go, what the heck.......you guys have room for another here?

#52 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:24 AM

well i checked and im going to expect my 78 chev p/u here either thursday or friday so hopefully by the weekend i may be able to get pics up of her! :lol:

#53 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

The more the merrier guys.

As the rules stated, it had to start life as a glue bomb, paint bomb or beater, so you're all welcome to join. Mine's a hybrid of two glue bombs because I wanted to really challenge myself. So far it's been a pain just to strip off the hundreds of layers of paint!

#54 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:18 AM

The stupid paint wont come off of the Charger. Puttin up a Wanted ad now.

#55 Airfilter

Airfilter

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I finished the job on the body of the Imperial.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pali

#56 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

That Imperial looks great, Pali!

#57 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

hey i know one vehicle ill be restoring! (hint: add 2 cbp)
ill be restoring a 1978 chevy stepside p/u i found it in a "barn" wearing no paint but there is absolutly no rust on it at all!
so ill be pending on when i get it to look at it closer but i think i may just polish the chrome out alittle and paint it some color and get the drivetrain up and running and work on the enterior alittle it should be show ready! soon i hope!!! :P

guess what came in the mail today!-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is my resto canidite ! :lol:

comments and criticizm welcomed! :wub:

Edited by bandit1, 01 July 2011 - 07:05 AM.

#58 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Time for the next installment of the saga of my 1965 Corvair Corsa annual's restoration/transformation into a Monza:

Finally, it's in paint! This is a DupliColor spray job in a close approximation of the actual car's color which, in turn, was a respray in a close approximation to the car's original "Cypress Green". Notice that the model's original "Corsa" badges are long gone by this point in the restoration, replaced by homemade Monza "crosses". In 1965, these emblems were smaller and thicker than the ones used from 1966 through the end of production in 1969, so that's why these don't look like the ones you're familiar with from the AMT reissues of the '69 annual.

Posted Image

This shows how my body work turned out. Dark, shiny paint shows everything!

Posted Image

From the front 3/4. Notice the 1965 only Corvair emblem on the trunklid. This emblem moved down beside the driver's side headlights from 1966-69. (I promise she'll look better once I've added her chrome and pinstriping... )

Posted Image

Yes, I did say pinstriping. I worked as a pinstriper, going around to car dealers striping their inventories, so my car had to have a pinstripe too. 1:25 scale is too small for me to duplicate the double-line gold pinstripe I laid down on her so I'm making do with a single line.

Posted Image

The first attempt at the stripe was a little rough as you can see here, but a little thinner wiped it right off. I was more careful masking it the second time around and it came out a lot better. The top-of-the-line Corvair, the Corsa series, had it's taillight "Cove" panel painted silver to set it apart from the lower line 500 series and Monza cars. I liked the general effect, but I thought gold would work better on my dark green car. I know it looks kind of coppery in this photo, but I used Testor's Gold paint so you know what it actually looks like. Hopefully the photos of the finished model will show the color better. Notice, too, the air exhaust grille below where the bumper will be eventually: I had to modify the panel from it's configuration on the 1969 piece I grafted in because the 1965 (and only the 1965!) had two smaller grilles instead of one full width grille. This was actually easier than I was expecting - it only took about an hour of very careful filing and laying in a couple of small strips of plastic to form the inner edges of the new, smaller outlets.

Posted Image

#59 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

well i finally got my truck broken down right now ill get pics up here after bit but i found something out thats neat!
there are some markings on it ill get pics of that as well but it says "gm.. 1977"
and the guy/kid that put it together must have ment for it either not come back apart or was a little glue crazy! :lol:
again ill get pics up here after bit!

#60 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

well i finally got my truck broken down right now ill get pics up here after bit but i found something out thats neat!
there are some markings on it ill get pics of that as well but it says "gm.. 1977"
and the guy/kid that put it together must have ment for it either not come back apart or was a little glue crazy! :lol:
again ill get pics up here after bit!

ok heres the pics-

heres the body!

Posted Image

drivetrain and wheels and tires !

Posted Image

frame

Posted Image

and it says the following markings
fundlimnesions (there marked on there like its old 60's styling!) DIV (I suppose it means "division") B)
GMFG 197 7

that is whats imprinted on the frame! maybe someone here with alittle more knowledge can help me figure it out! B)

Edited by bandit1, 02 July 2011 - 08:37 AM.