Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Ellifritt

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Posted Image

Basic sign is together. This should be a joy to mask and paint!

I had the station sitting on the floor of my micro sized model room. When I swivelled in my chair, the station was caught between the chair and the wall, and the gatorboard was crushed. Repairs are underway. All damage was on areas covered by brick, so I should be able to make the repairs undetectable. It's just aggravating to fix something that was fine to begin with. I'll have to carry stuff I'm not working on into the next room, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. This picture was taken before the damage.

I am glad it occured early in the build when it will be easier to fix.

#22 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

PERFECT!!!!!!

#23 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

That eye is kind of creepy. Thanks for the kind words, though!

#24 ra7c7er

ra7c7er

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Roach

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Basic sign is together. This should be a joy to mask and paint!

I had the station sitting on the floor of my micro sized model room. When I swivelled in my chair, the station was caught between the chair and the wall, and the gatorboard was crushed. Repairs are underway. All damage was on areas covered by brick, so I should be able to make the repairs undetectable. It's just aggravating to fix something that was fine to begin with. I'll have to carry stuff I'm not working on into the next room, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. This picture was taken before the damage.

I am glad it occured early in the build when it will be easier to fix.

Glad to see everything will be ok. We used to have a dozen or so Clark stations in my area. All but one is demolished now though.

How did you make that sign? It looks awesome.

#25 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

Your attention to detail is amazing......... I just noticed that you even got the bricks at the corner of the building oriented correctly!

And that sign is looking great!

Tony

#26 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

Did you scratchbuild that sign? If so, it's awesome work! Also if you did built it, why didn't you paint it before assembly and save all the masking work?

Either way, this looks to be one cool project.

David G.

#27 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

Did you scratchbuild that sign? If so, it's awesome work! Also if you did built it, why didn't you paint it before assembly and save all the masking work?

Either way, this looks to be one cool project.

David G.

That's a fair question. I tend to build things to withstand a nuclear blast, so I tend to me more concerned with the glue bond and part alignment than painting. This has gotten me into trouble more than once, but it's just my way. I'm confident I can paint this thing if I'm patient and careful enough.

#28 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

I spose yer gonna wow us with tiny tracer lights in the outter perimeter , Humph, some folks got all the dang talent . Ed Shaver

#29 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Your attention to detail is amazing......... I just noticed that you even got the bricks at the corner of the building oriented correctly!

And that sign is looking great!

Tony

Thank you. I try to make sure my corners are right, and windows and doors end up with whole bricks on either side, not 1/8 of a brick on one side and 7/32 on the other. If you do this, I think the plastruct brick looks great. I like the hand carved bricks seen on other posts, but they look like much older style brick than I'm trying to portray. I am going to try their method when I do a building old enough.

I fill the gaps on the corners with a super glue/baby powder mixture, sand to the level of the outer brick surface, then add the mortar lines with a file.

#30 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

I spose yer gonna wow us with tiny tracer lights in the outter perimeter , Humph, some folks got all the dang talent . Ed Shaver

You know, I WAS trying to figure that out, but I couldn't produce a mechanism small enough and reliable enough to seal inside. I have two colors of small round pin heads that are going to stand in for the bulbs. They actually look real good when set in place.

#31 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

See, I toll yas .................. Humph........... Ed Shaver

#32 MicroNitro

MicroNitro

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Full Name:jim littiken

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

I worked at a Clark Station exactly like the one in the black and white photo back in the 70s. I do not have any photos but do remember it pretty well. I once was locked in the back room all night by a drug addict robbing us. The owner was locked in the trunk of his super bee so I guess I did not have it to bad.

#33 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

I worked at a Clark Station exactly like the one in the black and white photo back in the 70s. I do not have any photos but do remember it pretty well. I once was locked in the back room all night by a drug addict robbing us. The owner was locked in the trunk of his super bee so I guess I did not have it to bad.

Almost the same with me....the rear window of the station had burgler bars.....so all I could do was holler for a customer to get the local PD...To my surprise..no one grabbed any cigs when I was locked in....Ours also had white painted shelves against the brick in the showroom for the oil..no metal racks on the floor.

#34 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

Posted Image

Here's one of the reference pics I have. There has been some obvious updating, but the basic station and '70s appearance is intact. This is what I'm going to build, minus the updates.

THIS is the Clark Stations I remember. There are still two of them around here in that configuration. There's also a newer one just down the street, only about 20 years old. The other two are at least 40 years old. Those pump globes were REALLY unique Ed, our Clarks had the squre stout lookin gas pumps. Now that I think of it, theres an old abandoned station up on Fort Street in Detroy.

#35 Chuck Doan

Chuck Doan

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Doan

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

Nice progress Tom. Your letters and that sign are just great.

#36 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,834 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Ditto.

Why make things hard on yourself? Paint the pieces first, then assemble. Waaaaay easier than assembling first, then trying to mask and paint.

#37 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

Ditto.

Why make things hard on yourself? Paint the pieces first, then assemble. Waaaaay easier than assembling first, then trying to mask and paint.

might I suggest liquid mask and a bit of tape.....this one is easy to paint tri color

#38 my66s55

my66s55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

WOW........ :mellow: :wub: :lol:

Thanks for the memories :lol:

#40 my66s55

my66s55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

Tom, you asked me to re-post these pictures and now you have them. Bring back memories of your days at Clark Mike? My station never got robbed but it was hard keeping a night shift employee.