Model Cars Magazine Forum

info needed on resin part(s)

so as ive mentioned elsewhere im in the middle of a big tub rebuild. one of the things i notice is that its pretty much impossible to make the dropped front axle look decent seeing as how it has this big seam running lengthwise due to the axle being two parts.

so the question is: does anyone know where to get a (presumably resin) one piece front dropped axle for the big t/tub/rod/drag etc? (actually i believe the big drag used a different axle so it may not apply here).

it would really be nice to avoid having to dechrome/take apart/put back together/de-seam/re-chrome the kit axle even though i realize i would still have to deal with refinishing a resin axle.

anyone?

it would really be nice to avoid having to dechrome/take apart/put back together/de-seam/re-chrome the kit axle even though i realize i would still have to deal with refinishing a resin axle.

anyone?

Well I think that's what you'll need to do. Resin won't live under that weight. Your only other option would be to get someone to machine one for you.

I would think it is easier to deal with the styrene parts you have then for someone to mold something up. If someone did cast it they could bend some piano wire and insert it in the cavity before pouring the resin. It would hold up quite well that way. Good luck.

>they could bend some piano wire and insert it in the cavity before

>pouring the resin.

yes that is sort of along the lines of what i was hoping was available. however i have been looking for something like this without much luck so i guess im down to the other option (or, more likely, the option of just leaving it like it is and calling it better than it was when it got to me which was in a bunch of pieces).

thanks anyhow

yeah thanks i already considered scratchbuilding one, thats why i asked if one was available. i dont think im going to have much luck scratchbuilding a dropped axle with connections for brake backing plates, radius rods and stuff like that, at least not at the level i want to leave this at. ive got other projects to attend to.

now scratchbuild radius rods and tie rod, those are done.

thanks anyhow...