Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:38 PM
So, to begin, I started with Revell's excellent 1:25th 40 Ford kit.
The first order of business was to give it a hair cut. I sliced some Tamiya 6mm tape in half to create some ~3mm strips. These were used to remove a consistent scale 3" from the roof pillars.
After adding some length back into the roof panel, it looked like the fit was close enough to continue.Notice how the B pillars were removed just below the drip rail in a "T" section. This will allow the pillar to be aligned with the lower pillar in the fore-aft direction.
Still no putty yet. At this point the plastic used to lengthen the roof panel was filed down and primed. The roof was then glued in place with some liquid styrene cement. Considering I haven't reached to putty stage yet, the roof was looking pretty good.
Still no putty yet. A layer of sheet styrene was added at the C pillar to provide enough material to level the roof panel with the stub on the body.
Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:44 PM
With the chop job roughed in pretty good, I decided to experiment. I considered leaving the weld seams visible. This attempt ended up with a weld bead that was way to wide. This would be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in scale. That's some pretty bad welding, so I decided to skip it and smooth things up. The rest of the roof is looking ok though. You may notice that the rear window has lost it's center pillar and is getting a slight reshape as well. I wanted to take away some of the 40 Ford styling que's and make the body a bit more generic.
Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:34 PM
That's some beautiful work so far. Nice to see that you're getting this far along without the putty. Shows some quality building skills.
I'll be watching.
Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:02 AM
Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:42 AM
Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:06 PM
Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:40 PM
As you can see, the top's mostly done, although the drip rails took on some damage during the shaping of the rear pillars. That was fixed with some square section styrene rod; .030 or .040 if I remember right.
Moving on to some other other body mods, the trunk was reshaped. The 40 Ford has a nice flowing trunk which makes it a natural target for a tail dragging custom. That's not the look I was going for. I wanted to give it a "harder" look, so the trunk was shortened. First off, the valance panel at the base of the trunk was cut off, then the trunk was shortened by having it curve downward at a quicker rate. To do this, a bunch of pie cuts were made down each side. Around 6 on each side.
The blue tape was used to hold the curve while the glue set up.
After things set up, I started block sanding over the cuts to restore a nice curve. Unfortunately, a few of the pie cuts cracked. To fix this, some straps of styrene were applied on the inside of the panel for reinforcement. This turned out to be a good fix.
Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:51 PM
Another minor body mod was to raise the bottom of the doors to give the body a rocker panel. Kind of a meaningless modification, but it helped hold things together once the drivers door was cut open.
Since the car won't have front fenders, the foot wells need to be filled in. The lower door hinge was damaged during the reshaping of the passenger door, so it was replaced with a scratch built copy. If you notice the background, you can see that the floor rises above the rocker panel line. This is due to body being channeled over the frame; slightly more so in the front.
Edited by Alyn, 28 October 2011 - 03:57 PM.
Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:05 PM
Starting with a homemade resin shell, I decided to lay the grille back about 10º. In turn, this required some filling in of the side panels to the rear edge vertical. Some side bolsters were also added to give the grille a little character.
Here you can get an idea of the roughed in shape
Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:16 PM
To cap them off, I filed down some slices of 5/32" heavy wall aluminum tube to make the headlight bezels. Once they had the correct rounded shape, they were polished with Dupont #7 polishing compound. Luckily I found some lenses the fit with just the slightest bit of sanding.
Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:04 PM