114 replies to this topic

#1 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

I built this car about a year and a half ago, but it's never been an MCM WIP, or shown in the Under Glass section. A couple of MCM regulars asked me if I had a few more pictures to share, so I thought that a mini WIP would provide them with some added pics and info on the car.

So, to begin, I started with Revell's excellent 1:25th 40 Ford kit.

Posted Image

The first order of business was to give it a hair cut. I sliced some Tamiya 6mm tape in half to create some ~3mm strips. These were used to remove a consistent scale 3" from the roof pillars.
Posted Image

After adding some length back into the roof panel, it looked like the fit was close enough to continue.Notice how the B pillars were removed just below the drip rail in a "T" section. This will allow the pillar to be aligned with the lower pillar in the fore-aft direction.

Posted Image

Still no putty yet. At this point the plastic used to lengthen the roof panel was filed down and primed. The roof was then glued in place with some liquid styrene cement. Considering I haven't reached to putty stage yet, the roof was looking pretty good.

Posted Image

Still no putty yet. A layer of sheet styrene was added at the C pillar to provide enough material to level the roof panel with the stub on the body.

Posted Image

#2 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

Here you can see the B pillar glued into postion with some blocks of raw plastic used as filler.

Posted Image

With the chop job roughed in pretty good, I decided to experiment. I considered leaving the weld seams visible. This attempt ended up with a weld bead that was way to wide. This would be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in scale. That's some pretty bad welding, so I decided to skip it and smooth things up. The rest of the roof is looking ok though. You may notice that the rear window has lost it's center pillar and is getting a slight reshape as well. I wanted to take away some of the 40 Ford styling que's and make the body a bit more generic.

Posted Image

#3 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Alyn-

That's some beautiful work so far. Nice to see that you're getting this far along without the putty. Shows some quality building skills.
I'll be watching.

Later-

#4 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:55 AM

Nice looking build.

#5 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,395 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

Looking real good. I'm always amazed at the bravery of chopping like that! Great.

#6 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

Nice work Alyn! Thanx for doing the tutorial. I did the chop on my '40 a little different than you have. I may give your process a try next time. The hardest part for me was saving the rear windows. I have a '37 project that I need to get back to someday.

#7 mytricia

mytricia

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Full Name:MARTY TYRKA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

really excellent building skills

#8 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

Can't wait to see more.

#9 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

Very nice bodywork! :)

#10 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,756 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Cool! It'll be very interesting seeing how this one went together.

#11 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Wow! Nice work on that chop job!!

#12 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

Well, thanks guys. Glad you like my little friend Rocky the rat.

As you can see, the top's mostly done, although the drip rails took on some damage during the shaping of the rear pillars. That was fixed with some square section styrene rod; .030 or .040 if I remember right.

Posted Image

Moving on to some other other body mods, the trunk was reshaped. The 40 Ford has a nice flowing trunk which makes it a natural target for a tail dragging custom. That's not the look I was going for. I wanted to give it a "harder" look, so the trunk was shortened. First off, the valance panel at the base of the trunk was cut off, then the trunk was shortened by having it curve downward at a quicker rate. To do this, a bunch of pie cuts were made down each side. Around 6 on each side.

Posted Image

The blue tape was used to hold the curve while the glue set up.

Posted Image

After things set up, I started block sanding over the cuts to restore a nice curve. Unfortunately, a few of the pie cuts cracked. To fix this, some straps of styrene were applied on the inside of the panel for reinforcement. This turned out to be a good fix.

Posted Image

#13 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

One thing I"ve never liked is the big holes you see in the firewall of many kits. You know, the slots for the hinges. Real cars don't have these, so I filled them in with some styrene. You can see here the drivers side is now filled in with some styrene strip. The passenger side will get the same treatment, then both will be knocked down flush with coarse sandpaper glued to the end of a piece of eraser (rubber).

Posted Image

Another minor body mod was to raise the bottom of the doors to give the body a rocker panel. Kind of a meaningless modification, but it helped hold things together once the drivers door was cut open.

Posted Image

Since the car won't have front fenders, the foot wells need to be filled in. The lower door hinge was damaged during the reshaping of the passenger door, so it was replaced with a scratch built copy. If you notice the background, you can see that the floor rises above the rocker panel line. This is due to body being channeled over the frame; slightly more so in the front.

Posted Image

Edited by Alyn, 28 October 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#14 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

Wonderful progress . . . you are on a roll.

#15 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Man, this is an interesting build. Keep going.

#16 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Here's a couple of shots of the grill. I don't much care for 34 Ford grilles, but the way they lay back is pretty cool. On the other hand, I think the 32 grille is as good as it gets. The perfect shape. To give this coupe a different look I decided to combine the two; a 32 grille with a slant.

Starting with a homemade resin shell, I decided to lay the grille back about 10º. In turn, this required some filling in of the side panels to the rear edge vertical. Some side bolsters were also added to give the grille a little character.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here you can get an idea of the roughed in shape

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

For the headlights, I started with the caps off some scrap ball point pens. The slight flat spot on the ends of the caps were filled and rounded over. Once the shape was right, the caps were used as masters to create a mold. This in turn was used to create some resin copies that were trimmed to the length of typical late 30's, early 40's headlight buckets.

Posted Image

To cap them off, I filed down some slices of 5/32" heavy wall aluminum tube to make the headlight bezels. Once they had the correct rounded shape, they were polished with Dupont #7 polishing compound. Luckily I found some lenses the fit with just the slightest bit of sanding.

Posted Image

#18 jaymcminn

jaymcminn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Full Name:Jason McMinn

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Some interesting ideas going on here...

#19 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

Wow, very good scratch-building. Keep it going.

#20 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,756 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

I have to admit I wasn't sure about the Deuce grille shell when I first saw it, but it did grow on me. Now It's one of my favorite elements to the car. B)