Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 scale 69 camaro pro mod (mike hill's car)

comp1839

Thanks Dave for the insight on soldering... I guess I need to get the tools out and do more of it, to get more comfortable with the process. So the Sears soldering gun you have, is it the electric on that looks like a gun or the old iron type?

I am getting excited about the body... sounds like it is getting closer to fruition! I know at least a 1/16 scale will be in my future if not larger. Not sure about 1/8th scale, that is definitely big boys playing grounds and my pants aren't quite big enough to play in the same sand box! :)

thanks guys. glad you all enjoy this stuff. i know i love building it. anyway, more on the rear. i made two solid aluminum rods (3/16 o.d. w/ each end faced off to be perfectly square) with 0-80 threads tapped into them as jigs to hold the 4 link brackets square to each other. then soldered the 4 link brackets on. next i started on the tie downs (the little hoops on the rear). after that we got going on the back brace or sometimes called the back bone. to the rear.

here are the 4 link fixtures.

1-8scale69camaropromodrear4.jpg

the 4 link brackets soldered on.

1-8scale69camaropromodrear6.jpg

the back brace on the rear with one top side completed.

004.jpg

001-2.jpg

hope you enjoy!

wooooowww! :huh: the stuff you are doing is just amazing to say the least! hope to be able to do half the craftsmanship some day! woooowww!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave looking forward to seeing this body, I want one. TDR what a great company I got my order and a letter say that a few of the small parts were missing and they would send them soon, well they sent the parts plus replaced the complete order wow great customer service. Will be ordering more things from them.

Mike Garland

Dave, thanks so much for this thread.

I'm sorry I didn't see it before.

Rick, thanks for the note in the thread.

Tim, mahalo for everything.

I want to send a note out to Dan in Brazil, his art work is amazing.

I want that Hebmuller, so bad!!!!

Dave, let's see if we can put together something in print on this build.

I have started a new feature, The Digital Modeler, and this will fit right in.

mahalo nui loa!!!

I bet... TDR's 3D printer was down for some time. I ordered my block and heads on the 3rd of December and they just arrived on Friday. So you may be waiting awhile, I am sure they had a bit of a backlog.

Dave I am not going to step all over your build topic. I just wanted to clear something up about TDR.

TDR does not own any 3D printers.......... We do absolutely no printing....... All of our printing is subcontracted out.

What does TDR do then??????? What we do is work up all the computer models, make them printable, get the files to the 3D printing subcontractor, work up the catalogs, and handle customer relations. So TDR does not have any control over the time it takes to print the models out, that is in the hands of the subcontractors.

Lastly I wanted to summarize the time it takes to deliver the parts you order. The time varies depending upon the material that it is printed in. Here is how it shakes out

1) The "sand cast" finish material, our cheapest, takes 10 to 15 working days to ship.

2) The WSF material usually takes 10 calender days to ship out.

3) The FD and FUD material usually takes 30 days to ship out

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM or an email at TDR.Innovations@gmail.com

Thanks

Tim

Dave I am not going to step all over your build topic. I just wanted to clear something up about TDR.

TDR does not own any 3D printers.......... We do absolutely no printing....... All of our printing is subcontracted out.

What does TDR do then??????? What we do is work up all the computer models, make them printable, get the files to the 3D printing subcontractor, work up the catalogs, and handle customer relations. So TDR does not have any control over the time it takes to print the models out, that is in the hands of the subcontractors.

Lastly I wanted to summarize the time it takes to deliver the parts you order. The time varies depending upon the material that it is printed in. Here is how it shakes out

1) The "sand cast" finish material, our cheapest, takes 10 to 15 working days to ship.

2) The WSF material usually takes 10 calender days to ship out.

3) The FD and FUD material usually takes 30 days to ship out

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM or an email at TDR.Innovations@gmail.com

Thanks

Tim

Thanks Tim, nothing really to clear up because you said this once before. I miss spoke and meant Shapeway's, and was specifically told by one of the employee's that the 3D printer was down and this was what caused my parts to take longer than expected.

Dave was saying he was excited and like all of us, the wait is very difficult knowing what will be coming in the mail from TDR/Shapeway's. I was just mearly stating what happened to my order based on what conversations took place between myself and the Shapeway's employee. I was just throwing it out there that, due to what was provided to me, things may take a bit longer than the regular shipping time frames.

Dave.... That body is flat out gorgeous and aweseome. The body is just beautiful. What a killer job they did. I have to tell you I am stoked on this as well as I just made an order to TDR 2 days ago and I can't wait to get the parts that I had ordered. Dave I look forward to the many updates that will come along with this build.