Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

I just assume they weren't connected...just for show like the side pipes on '50s customs often were.

They appear to just for show, it would be interesting to see somebody make headers that would connect to a set of 4 into 1 style sidepipes on these vans though........can't imagine which one I'd have less desite to fabricate and install, that setup in 1/24-1/25 or on the real thing!

The Rescue 911 vans still had quite a few of the MPC parts- they were missing the sink, but I think they still had the divider with the wacky glass, the skylight, the wood-texture inner side panels, and such. If they restored the original grille and the Cragars, I think they could easily bring the Dodge kits back as they were pre-Rescue 911 form.

I believe it is the A-Team GMC van, backdated.

And FWIW, I don't think the '71-'78 Dodge van kit(s) is(are) coming back, as I think MPC modified the tooling to make the Rescue 911 kit.

I'm pretty sure this is a reissue of the AMT Candy Van. I don't think the A Team GMC van kit has been released as anything but the A Team version?

Correct.

ALL of the AMT Chevy/GM van kits are the same tooling set!

I have a built of the Rescue issue, the Penski set issue, as well as the Original A-Team kit.

It Did indeed have the Chevy Chrome tree i the box, just Not chrome plated

The Only differences in the current re-issue and the early issues are Open hood, & option

of Windowside passenger van or panel side cargo van, windows in the rear doors and the

Port holes from the Sunchaser/Kandy/KISS, etc issues of the Mid to late 70s.

I wish they would return the Passenger window van option to the kit (And maybe the Open Road

Mini Motor Home version too!)!!

Id love to see the Chevy window van make a comeback or the Open Road van...I have them both and need parts for them but it would be nice to build reissues of them same for the 71 to 77 Dodge vans. Maybe they will add the roof ribs to make the Chevys more correct?....ether way they will sell...its a no brainer with all the builders wanting them.

They appear to just for show, it would be interesting to see somebody make headers that would connect to a set of 4 into 1 style sidepipes on these vans though........can't imagine which one I'd have less desite to fabricate and install, that setup in 1/24-1/25 or on the real thing!

Most 4 into 1 sidepipes only had one actual input pipe out of the four shown. In scale, just run the downpipe from the stock exhause over to the second or third input pipe on the sidepipes and your done with a typical installation.

Also, The Dodge van issued for the TV show Rescue 911, is a Straight Parts re-issue

of the Cannonball Run kit. Just different molded color & decals

I have an unbuilt Cannonball kit molded in Orange.

I know many say the grill has always been wrong, but to me the biggest error is the kit

has Twin Hinged side doors while the Cannonball Ambulance had a Single sliding side door.

That is a Big visual mistake easy to see, but is not that hard to fix.

But, all the MPC Dodge van kits had the hinged side doors.

I also have a built Original annual 72 done in the Police version

A guy on the van site in my siganature bought alot of these vans, he opened one up and he shows pictures of all the contents, The van is a long wheelbase chevy van even thought it shows a shorty on the picture. Go to the website look up van collectibles its under there.

That's good to know Darrin. With Revell's short wheel base and the more common Long wheel base from A M T , we'll have all the Chevrolet vans from 1974-77 covered . Granted , the Revell van will take a few modifications to make it back to a stocker , the wheel houses can be made to look factory again . Ed Shaver