#21 TedsModeling

TedsModeling

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Full Name:Ted Bowe

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

The Rodder's Journal issue # 41 (Fall 2008) had an extensive article on Tony Nancy and his cars. The number 22 has two tales. According to Tony, he worked on 22 roadsters. His friend and author of a book about him said Tony got the number from the date of his Marine Corp discharge. The 'Jr' according to Tony was because he was a Jr named after his father. I thought I also read that after his original number 22, he didn't want to use another number, so he named every car after the first one, Jr.

#22 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

The Rodder's Journal issue # 41 (Fall 2008) had an extensive article on Tony Nancy and his cars. The number 22 has two tales. According to Tony, he worked on 22 roadsters. His friend and author of a book about him said Tony got the number from the date of his Marine Corp discharge. The 'Jr' according to Tony was because he was a Jr named after his father. I thought I also read that after his original number 22, he didn't want to use another number, so he named every car after the first one, Jr.

Thanks Ted. Just goes to show you never finish reading those great Rodders Journals.Gotta dig that one out again. Thanks.

#23 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

The August 1962 issue of Hot Rod has a 4 page feature on Tony's roadster as well as it gracing the cover. If there's interest, I can scan and post them. If you're buiding this kit, this is great reference.

#24 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I bid $19.00 dollars on mine, there were several for that price and slightly higher. I never thought I would win it. The shipping was very reasonable as well. I am glad they are going to reissue it I hope revell does a better job plating the chrome.

#25 TedsModeling

TedsModeling

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Full Name:Ted Bowe

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

The 22 jr. comes from Tony's original 32 Ford roadster ( I think it was a 32 ), that was run in the old NHRA roadster classes.

The 22 JR roadster was a fibergalss '23 T body mounted on a Kent Fuller chassis. You're right about it running in the A/MR roadster class. His competitors called him a cheater because his car had a dragster style tube chassis. It started off with a blown 450 ci Buick Nailhead and later went to a blown Chrysler wedge. This info came from the same Rodder's Journal article. One of his first street cars was a '29 Ford turtle-deck roadster and it's interesting that he picked this same body style for his A/Modified dragster. edit - The kit has the nailhead engine.

Edited by TedsModeling, 06 February 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#26 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Hello everyone.

I recently realized I like models vintage dragsters and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide any information and/or pictures of this kit. For some reason I did not know this kit exists until today. Sort of reminds me of the AMT Fiat double dragster kit, except it's clearly not a fiat.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#27 gluebomb

gluebomb

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Full Name:Gary R. Sauer

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I bought one(revell re-release) not to long ago its an okay kit but for what ever reason mine had no instructions at all. I would you get you some pics but I got a little angry at my 500 year old digital camera and tossed out of my second story window onto my driveway, lets just say I am in the market for a new one.

#28 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

well not sure what kind of info you desire but i have an original of the kit and i just purchased the reissue. i can tell you the cars are much more fiddley than the AMT double dragster, but thats typical for revell of the era, that fiddleness results in very detailed builds. there is flash in the reissue that i dont see in the original but not a terrible amount. both cars are molded in colored plastic, i dont have the kit in front of me but i think i recall at least one is molded in dark gray. post some more info on what youre looking for and i or someone will probably help. overall i would say its a very worthwhile kit and really do build into a pair of kool dragsters.

#29 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

I bought one(revell re-release) not to long ago its an okay kit but for what ever reason mine had no instructions at all. I would you get you some pics but I got a little angry at my 500 year old digital camera and tossed out of my second story window onto my driveway, lets just say I am in the market for a new one.

Just in case you still don't have the instruction, here is the online copy
http://manuals.hobbi...rmx/85-1224.pdf

#30 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

I really would like to see some build and WIP pictures of this kit.

#31 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Here's one.....
http://www.modelcars...c=12996&hl=22jr

#32 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, I got same results.

Say, you happen to know what engines the kit comes with? One appears to be a nailhead, but the other one I have no idea

#33 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, I got same results.

Say, you happen to know what engines the kit comes with? One appears to be a nailhead, but the other one I have no idea

The engine in the other rail is a 413 Max Wedge Chrysler, supercharged and injected.

#34 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

If you're building a 1960-'64 Dragster, the Tony Nancy double kit is a great part source. The chassis for the Revellion was one of these. The Fuller chassis wasn't common but overall this is a great kit. TAKE your time, who ever said it was fidgety was dead on. It can be a challenge but the result is worth the effort.

Mike

#35 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Too bad this was never kitted tonynancysmodela.jpg

#36 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Tom West told me that one of the reasons the Tony Nancy double kit was not issued sooner was because they cut the chrome tooling in half when they did the Revellion Funny Car Kit. He found the other half of the tooling on a dusty bench at Revell and they restored it back so it could be re-issued.

Thanks, Tom!!