Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 Chevrolet Chevelle- Mastered by Tom Ellifritt

DSCN0130.jpg

Laguna.jpg

I've been working on a model of that body style, but it's too late to cast it.

In this picture the Blue 77 monte looks like it was converted to a 73 is /was offered by any resin caster. if it was does anyone know who was the resin caster.

Many years ago, Scale Auto ENTHUSIAST ran an article on converting the MPC Laguna S-3 NASCAR kit into a stock Laguna S-3 using the chassis and parts from a Jo-Han '75 Cutlass. The conversion is fairly extensive. The article appeared in the very early 1980s - I remember because that was before I started writing for SAE. If I can find the issue I will post the number and issue date. That might be of some help to anyone wanting to take on the task of mastering a stock 1973-77 Laguna or Malibu "colonnade" hardtop.

Edited by larrygre

Many years ago, Scale Auto ENTHUSIAST ran an article on converting the MPC Laguna S-3 NASCAR kit into a stock Laguna S-3 using the chassis and parts from a Jo-Han '75 Cutlass. The conversion is fairly extensive. The article appeared in the very early 1980s - I remember because that was before I started writing for SAE. If I can find the issue I will post the number and issue date. That might be of some help to anyone wanting to take on the task of mastering a stock 1973-77 Laguna or Malibu "colonnade" hardtop.

I found an article in Car Modeler #23 january 1994 written by Dean Milano covering the same conversion.

Did a little more digging and indeed in Scale Auto Enthusiast #23 january/february 1983 is another article covering the same conversion in more depth so i hope this helps anyone looking to do the conversion themselves.

The Monte Carlo above is done, except for the addition of whitewalls and stock wheelcovers, cast by Kris, no less! I'm working on the Laguna again, I'm installing the interior tonight. If you look at the Laguna kit windshield from above or below, it is severely misshapen. So is the windshield portion of the body. I fixed that and used a different windshield. If I master one, would you rather see the Laguna front end, or the Chevelle?

Monte9.jpg

Monte8.jpg

Edited by Repstock

Absolutely the Chevelle Front End! It's much better, and yeah, if it's Laguna body, then I don't have any use for it since I can replicate the 1:1 Stocker (which will be on Drag Strips this summer).

Tom i have scored a 73 chevelle body for starters!

I wonder if the roof portion of the JoHan '75 (?) Cutlass might be better to use. The Chevelle kit has a big windshield issue in my opinion. The Chevelle could supply the rest of the body. You'd need a '77 Monte Carlo for dash, and interior. I suppose you could use the JoHan Cutlass promo style Chassis foe ease of casting. Should there be an opening hood, or should those mods be left to the builder?

On my Laguna, I used a modified firewall from the '70 Monte Carlo, and the chassis from the '69 Cutlass. I had to dig into my glass boxes to find a windshield for it because I had to fix that portion of the Chevelle kit.

The Chevelle kit body and the '75(?) Cutlass body handle the greenhouse area differently, and I can't decide which one looks more accurate. If I use the Cutlass for this area, it would be a simple matter to find "glass" if you didn't want to use vacform glass.

The whole thing seems doable, but the Chevelle and Laguna not only have different "faces", but the seat patterns are different, too.

I trimmed my Laguna with all the chrome it could carry...wheel lip moldings, side chrome, etc. Should the resin version be trimmed out, or basic?

I'll listen to all opinions.

Tom

you know i trust you, you are the builder!...my thoughts where to start with a 73 chevelle maybe an ss, then a 74 laguna as another car? i will gather up all the parts you ask for & we will need to make a whole interior, i will let you & the board help guide me!

thanks

Kevin

Tom

you know i trust you, you are the builder!...my thoughts where to start with a 73 chevelle maybe an ss, then a 74 laguna as another car? i will gather up all the parts you ask for & we will need to make a whole interior, i will let you & the board help guide me!

thanks

Kevin

I'll give it a few days and see what car generates the most interest. I have an Olds I'll sacrifice. Between you, MAGNUM, and myself, we already have the raw material. If the Chevelle works out, I've always wanted an El Camino from this era...