#461 MLMDesign

MLMDesign

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Mason

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Matthew that blue is gorgeous. I'll have to file that away. Testors? Have LOTS of fun with that windshield. In quick order I learned the curved kit glass of my '60 Revell doesn't remotely fit the frame so I cut a new one out of acetate and it fought me for an hour with annoying results. Better luck on your AMT.

Thanks, yes it's Testors model master brand. The windshield is the one thing I haven't checked yet, I hope it fits. Best of luck with your's too.

#462 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Cordoza Cortez

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Geez, I go away for a couple days and come back to a conversation about the size of my Cajones. You guys need to find a hobby. I think I`ll take it as a compliment

I hussled my butt tonight and got a ton done. The stock front suspension was`nt doing much for me, it just was`nt fitting in with the look I have planned for the car so I did some frame mods and put in a gasser style front end. That of course led to clearance problems with the motor mount so I had to make new mounts too. Good thing its a straight line from coast to coast cuz I dont think that leaf spring front will handle as well in the corners.
Also got the backside of the grill shaved down in order to open it up, I like that look a lot more than painting in the black spaces.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#463 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#464 SuperStockAndy

SuperStockAndy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Full Name:Andy "Android" Conn

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Here's a pic of the '55 as it sits now.
Posted Image

Gotta clean everything up and paint the hood...then it's done.

Edited by SuperStockAndy, 17 November 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#465 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Interior is done. I am up against the wall on this build though!.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

#466 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Wow! Thats a nice interior.

#467 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah. Stunning!

#468 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

AND HE FUMBLES ON THE ONE YARD LINE! :angry: :(

Clearing did not go well guys. I rushed it a bit and got some bad orange peel. And on the white it looks like little bubbles in the paint. In an attempt to salvage it, sanding it has caused me to go through the paint as well. I specifically used the one coat lacquer because of how shallow the window trim molding was and I could get by with one coat. I ended up ruining it. I have no paint remover at this time, no extra decals, and not enough paint to re-shoot. Looks like I'm not going to see the start of the race.

Sorry guys. I will be finishing this. Just not anytime soon. Anyone have a spare decal sheet from the '49 Merc laying about?

#469 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Well, that blows. You're a staple, man! Maybe it won't show in photos. Is there enough done that you can set together what you've got? (...and take bad pictures? :D )

#470 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thats a drag Jantrix. Can you turn it into a dent or a section thats getting a little bit of body repair? It would suck to see you stop this close to the end

#471 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well, that blows. You're a staple, man! Maybe it won't show in photos. Is there enough done that you can set together what you've got? (...and take bad pictures? :D )

I may actually try that.

#472 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

She`s a roller.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#473 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Got a bit done on the interior today. Built a rollbar and a seat mount.
Its not going to be quite as plush as Erics interior. Stripped to the bone with one seat, a shifter, a rollbar and not much else. This baby is built for speed.

I opted to keep the carpet to have a little more comfort during the occasional catnap on the floor.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#474 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

AND HE FUMBLES ON THE ONE YARD LINE! :angry: :(

Clearing did not go well guys. I rushed it a bit and got some bad orange peel. And on the white it looks like little bubbles in the paint. In an attempt to salvage it, sanding it has caused me to go through the paint as well. I specifically used the one coat lacquer because of how shallow the window trim molding was and I could get by with one coat. I ended up ruining it. I have no paint remover at this time, no extra decals, and not enough paint to re-shoot. Looks like I'm not going to see the start of the race.

Sorry guys. I will be finishing this. Just not anytime soon. Anyone have a spare decal sheet from the '49 Merc laying about?

AHHHHH! NOOOO!

It was looking really good too Rob! I am pressed to finish mine as well...

#475 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Jant, just don't photograph that side and we'll never know...

As we seemed to be having an eyeball theme I added one.
Posted Image

Paint is on and awaiting clear - I tried to err on the subtle side.
Posted Image

and the chassis is rolling.
Posted Image

i'm now working on the final details including the exhaust ( a glasspack for each side - can't be too loud as we don't want to attract undue attention), 3 more spare wheels on a stand and all the tools etc that also might be needed.

See you on the road boys...

#476 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Excellent progress, everyone! These last two weeks seems to be the most active time in this topic. :lol:

I needed to show you that I'm still trying to make this finished for the start of this year's Rally. Chassis is almost in the same condition as it was before that little crash, and started polishing the body too. The top and trunk lid are polished, I'm quite happy about them. I will polish the sides tomorrow.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#477 SuperStockAndy

SuperStockAndy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Full Name:Andy "Android" Conn

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Excellent progress, everyone! These last two weeks seems to be the most active time in this topic. :lol:

Because procrastinators like me realize that the CBP is about done! :lol: It kinda sneaked up on us :unsure:

#478 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I feel like I`m in an episode of Car Warriors. I`m going to finish this thing with about 6 seconds left.

#479 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

That's actually one of things I like about CBs like this, it lights a fire under my patootie to get something done. So here's my update. The interior assembles to the chassis. The dash attaches to the body, then pray everything lines up when you drop the body on.

Posted Image

#480 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

A couple weeks ago I sprayed some interior pieces ivory for the '60 Cor-Vex. I masked with (old) Bare Metal and tonight I added the second color. Looks blue but it's turquoise. Pretty nice. Seats need some touch up but it's manageable. BUT.....

Posted Image

What the HORK happened to the door panels!!!???

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Simple. Haste makes waste. The ivory color was Krylon enamel. The turquoise was Duplicolor lacquer. The lacquer melted the enamel and shrunk it. But wait, why didn't it happen to the seats? The seats were primered first so the enamel had a better grip. The door panels had no primer and just slid at the whim of the lacquer. That's my best guess. This may be the first time I've ever had to repaint over a foolish mistake. It's all night swim at the purple pond.

Mike, although this was not what you had in mind, it is a reminder that sometimes there are "happy" accidents. Why happy? Because for those of us who love building junkers, beaters, and rusty jewels, this is a perfect technique. Crackle effect like this is hard to pull off, but it looks great in scale for a door that has seen better days. Best, DC