#41 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Full Name:^^^^

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Might need a chase/support truck or two, as well.

#42 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

I think I've found my Cannonball car.....I had to resort to Plan B already. As I was thinking about this build I kind of had my 62 Chrysler 300 in mind for this build. I pulled the kit out a few days ago and realized that the person I got the kit from had started sanding the "Chrysler" trim off the front fenders and I wanted a stock look for the car. I can't really complain, I did get the kit for free......but now I'll need another when I'm ready to build it cause that one is gonna be a mild custom.

I need to get the desk cleared off and dig out a donar kit but I'll post up some pics soon...

#43 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Okay Ron, 24-hrs after I said I'd need a month or two, I've made my selection and I'm in this year with a Revell '60 Corvette. I need an early start because my crush to finish the VW last time used up a lot of girlfriend time and now she's not too supportive of my childish fancies anymore.

I acquired the Vette years ago with no chrome or wheels so I guess I'll just have to invent some ginchy, galvanized, finnified, customized front and rear treatment. I reserve the right to smash it, stomp, speak in tongues and change my entry.

Posted Image

For you young-stahs, this is an '88 release of an old Revell standard and the body is in parts. The rear top and bottom parts have been glued and a side panel is on. There are some odd molding choices on this but it's apparent it's partly due to the molding limitations of the day. For that reason I'm enjoying the retro build.

Posted Image

#44 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

After perusal of my kit, it's official. I'm in with a box stock entry (with the exeption of decals). I'm doing the AMT 49 Ford Coupe. The kit has vintage everything and features a Cadillac 390ci which in 1959 was rated at 345 h.p., which aughta do the job in the "get up and go" department. I'll be using the kit supplied custom parts and will be One Shot lacquer White Lightning with the flame decals from the Revell '49 Merc. Wide whites on painted steelies with beauty rings will take care of the rolling stock. Honestly this kit seems perfect for this CBP.

Posted Image

Edited by Jantrix, 02 January 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#45 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

So perfect Rob, that I came { } this close to doing it also, but it's DEEP in my stash. The Vette was in the first box I pulled out so my decision was made.

#46 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Can Dom DeLuise (aka, Capt. Chaos) fit in the back of a car based ambulance for that long a trip?

Jack Elam played Doctor Nicolas van Helsing in "The Cannonball Run", so if you want a doctor in your Caddy Ambulance, you'd have to "dig him up" (politically incorrect pun intended) for the role so he could "Probe your case"! :lol:

Anyhow, my initial idea for this CBP crashed and burned when I found out that it takes place way back in the year I was born... I have a couple of ideas that I might go with... I'll have to think about what I'll be in with, but I'll be in on this one for sure!

Edited by CorvairJim, 02 January 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#47 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Here is my ride for the 2012 Cannonball.....

Posted Image

I'll be using this as a chassis/engine donar....

Posted Image

and I'll be using these resin pieces I've been holding on to for just a project like this....

Posted Image

#48 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Wow. The custom parts for that kit look like a dramatic improvement to that ugly as heck (IMHO) Dart. Gonna use them?

#49 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Actually, its a later reissue Dart in an original box so I don't have the custom parts and I'll be building it in all its Exner glory.

#50 patami

patami

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Full Name:Patrik Aminoff

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

Nice builds you guys got there.

Now its official since i w been surfing the net and going through spec of the AC Ace.
I m in whit a near standard engined car and no fancy suspension, just gonna go Ace on that too.
Every thing that don t need to be painted thou won t be. I gonna save weight every where it is possible and safe to do so.
Even if it is on the cost of comfort, We r raceing here we r not on some pick nick. :D

Edited by patami, 04 January 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#51 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Cordoza Cortez

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

<p>Sometimes its like the universe just sticks its finger in your face and say"Do it dummy". I really wanted to be in this CBP but the only 62 or earlier ride I have is a 55 Ford Victoria of which I have a plan for that does`nt fit in 1962. I have so many models to be built or resto`ed that I told myself I was`nt going to buy any more models this year until my pile got thinned out and resigned myself to not participating....well that thought made it less than 3 daysI`m in Value Village wandering aimlessly and I spy an AMT 57 Fairlane 3in1 STILL IN THE WRAPPER!!!! For $10. It was so obvious that it was meant for me and this build that I couldnt pass it up, so here I am. Being that it was un-opened until my grubby hands got on it, its like new and has a lot of performance parts of that era in the box that I would need to make it a 1962 Cannonball death machine. I dont think I`m going to deviate much from box stock on this baby....much....seeing as how its managed to survive untouched for this long, and honour it by building it as clean and badass as I can. It may be a while before I can actually start on it so dont wait up for progress shots anytime soon. And once its rolling...dont try to keep up ;) 

Attached Files

#52 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Some people get all the luck.

#53 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

2) All cars/trucks, equiptment, and build styles must be circa 1962. Period correct Street Rods, Finned 50's iron, Kustoms, solid axle Corvettes, or anything else you can think of that might have been on the roads in 1962.

I hate to be "one of those" rivet counters here Slant, but I'm just wondering about the '64 chassis and running gear if the cut off is '62. I'm just not that informed about the mechanics of early iron (or late iron for that matter).

#54 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

I hate to be "one of those" rivet counters here Slant, but I'm just wondering about the '64 chassis and running gear if the cut off is '62. I'm just not that informed about the mechanics of early iron (or late iron for that matter).

The chassis of the 62 would be identical to the 64, the Lindberg kit just has better detail.

#55 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

A.R.C. that '57 is a perfect kit for this build off. It has a 312 y-block with a centrifugal supercharger (McCullough I believe) that is just top notch. Great choice.

#56 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

This is my start for Cannonball Rally build. AMT '57 Chrysler 300C which was going to be Factory Stock, but this Cannonball Racer idea was better idea. I'll start building soon...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#57 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Full Name:joe colvin

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I have followed the Cannonball on another forum for over a year and never did get a chance to enter. Count me in this year.

#58 mopar01lee

mopar01lee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Full Name:Davin Blackburn

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

you kw what ... i like the sound of this .... im in if i can ,

my build a 56 chevy nomad .. in a street gasser style...

hope i can still join.

later days Davin

#59 patami

patami

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Full Name:Patrik Aminoff

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Might need a chase/support truck or two, as well.

I m gonna need one or two for sure. There just isn t that much space in the AC.

Started to change the Cobra into an AC, not that much work when you use a Ac cobra. But looked at pics and realize that the Ac Cobra have small wheel flares that the Ace don t have. Well Dremel is invented :)

But whit out more words let the pics speak for em selves

Posted Image
The front. Had to change it just a bit.

Posted Image
The body. Whit flares removed

Edited by patami, 06 January 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#60 mopar01lee

mopar01lee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Full Name:Davin Blackburn

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

my 56 nomad.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image