Model Cars Magazine Forum

hello,

Before i start posting any real progress on this, I think i should ask the admins for there aprovele first, consdereing this is a bike, and there is no real place to post these.

This is the subject: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-TAMIYA-HONDA-MAGNA50-FIFTY-RARE-VINTAGE-/260946552189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1a0657d

(of corse not the ebay one, i already have one in my posetion.)

thanks for any help, and if its ok'ed ill have some progress pics latter today, or tomarow.

Edited by Hippie

little bike, little progress.

Here is the engine all 49cc's of it, mostly box stock, still has a lot of parts to go, but here's what 2 hours of work left me with.

The carbon fiber on that ?(circle thing) needs to be re done but i haven't goten to it yet.

DSCN2486.jpg

even at 50cc's its still huge next to a 1/24 scale 426!

DSCN2487.jpg

thanks for looking and i promess next time it will not be just box stock stuff.

hi

here's a bit of work done. panted eveything from a few feet away so it looks cast then cleared. not reley a big deal.

DSCN2490.jpg

and like i said a bit of scrach building, a gasket! not that noticable thought

DSCN2489.jpg

also I am in desperet need for refrence pics, there are almost none on the internet, manly need electircal wiring, any help is aprceated and comments/crisism welcom.

Best place for reference material I can think of is a Clymer or Haynes repair manual for the bike. About $20 at Farm and Fleet or AutoZone, O'Reilly. Also available on line from Amazon or Barnes and Noble I would bet. The book will include complete wiring diagrams for the bike and photos of the real thing.

Sorry about the spell check, I used to have it but somehow it got removed, ill try to get it back on the editor.

Not much progress, I have been sick, not a big deal but yersterday I had to cachup on 2 days of highschool home work.

Got the carb almost done, bascialy all of the stock pices with some gaskets, and welds

DSCN2491.jpg

And I started working on the frame, this is the only peace completed yet, filled the gaps and added welds, its not going to stay the silver color that what the plastic is molded as, and then I painted the welds to see how it looked.

DSCN2493.jpg

Thanks for looking, and what do you guys/gals think?

Dang Erik I didn't know you were a kid...I'm sorry a young man :lol: You have very impressive skills at such a young age. I really like the subjects you build and all the cool details you put into them. Welds look great and the whole spraying from a distance for a cast look, nice touch. Keep us updated.

Thanks guys, but i don't think it matters i'm a kid , I except the same critisim and coments as adults.

There has been a bit of progress, nothing substanial but here it goes:

On the engine got the starter mounted, gave the bolts another coat, and finnshed the cluch/chain cover, it's not permanitly atached yet, it gets added on in the end.

DSCN2494.jpg

also got a fiber glass fender in the works, trying to lighten it up as much as possable for that tiny engine.

DSCN2496.jpg

( it looks a lot better know this was the first attemp, already tried again with sucesses)

And then work on the frame dosen't reley look like much just the usual stuff. later comes welds. I also came to find out that the gas tanks actualy biger then the engine. :(

DSCN2499.jpg

and what do you guys think, kick stand or no kick stand, im trying for a very sporty bike, i have a photo eched chain in the works so im probly going to display it with the weal of so it will need some sort of raceing stand, but the question is, leave the kick stand on or remove it.

any way, all of your coments are apreceated and thanks for looking

You really need the kick stand. This may look like a sport bike but frankly, it is a great Japanese poser! Had the look of big American Iron with a 50cc engine. Only in Japan! Kind of a weird piece. Sport it out if you would like, but remember what it is.

I actually have one in my collection. It was a gift from my first visit to Tamiya HQ in Japan. I have never built it, but now that I see one, I am getting the bug to tackle it.

Pete

PS - I never saw the real thing but googled it and came up with this Japanese web site. http://info.motor.hc360.com/2007/05/30144921145.shtml This is really a small bike, almost the size of a minibike. Either that or the rider is just huge! Kind of puts the whole thing in perspective. Wierd is the only word I can come up with.

Edited by Pete J.

thanks,

got a bit done, honestly most of my time has been spent on trying to find refrence or manuals.

anyways i did the frame and added some welds.

DSCN2526.jpg

and here is the fiber glass done turned out decient i think

DSCN2529.jpg

and the same thing but with black resion, figure on the real one this is kinda visable so they would tint it black

DSCN2530.jpg

thanks for looking and your coments are welcome.

Edited by Hippie

oof eric. you have got some great progress going on. the extra details is going to make this one stand out on its own. especially those gasket sets.

keep up the great work.

didnt know your age, but its great to see the younger crowd getting into this hobby.

hello thanks eveyone,

the welds are tamiya 2 part puddy, if you guys want i can do a little how to on it in the next post

anyways i got the stance figured out, if you have ever seen one of these you know they have a very harly like look, well i like jappens racers, so i tryed to lay it on the ground, the front tires will go out a bit more, about a extra inch, i modifyed the front tube(sorry don't know whats its called) to get a lower look.

DSCN2565.jpg

i have the frame painted and the engine mounted but haven't got pics yet, i'll try to get them on later tonight.

thanks

Edited by Hippie

hello again.

here are the pics of the real ride hight, you will also notice the paint and engine bolted in.

DSCN2596.jpg

"it may be just a lawn mower engine but i can still make it look cool" :lol:

Also theres a little tool box, i made it open then added a strap, i think in real life it threaded on but this looks cooler, then i tryed to texture it like cheap plastic cast, just for fun i added a few things for the inside.

DSCN2591.jpg

and on the bike closed up (just turn the top lach and it opens up)

DSCN2595.jpg

thanks for looking

thanks man,

hopefuly there will be more bikes here, but we seam pretty set on cars, makes sense anyway this is model cars mag form.

heres some progress, i did a ton on the rear swing arm, almost everything bolts together, and the drum break works, it s not tolaty done yet, still need to do carbon fiber on the chain gard, and cut down some bolts.

DSCN2642.jpg

DSCN2646.jpg

and heres the break its not actrat at all the story is that honda came up wiht a new expermental drum break instead of replacing it with disk,

DSCN2643.jpg

also started on the front end, only thing worth showing is the caliper so far

DSCN2649.jpg

a question for eveyone, i need any refrence, there are no hayenes manuals or similar product, and i don't know much about bikes electircal in the first place any pics will help

thanks for looking and what ya think