#41 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

Since the Nova build is slowly getting there (having problems with the hood), I'm going to move my inspiration on this one. Today I removed the gas tank from the chassis, I will install Jazz tank later, when I have filled that hole. Gas Tank left off easily with a motor tool.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Looking good Niko. gonna look great with that new tank in there too

#43 ChevyCoupe41

ChevyCoupe41

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Full Name:Matti Tirronen

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

That looks very good so far!

#44 JunkPile

JunkPile

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Saxton

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Be sure that you have the proper left-hand threaded lug nuts. :) Geezo

#45 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Those were on Chryslers

#46 mcandela

mcandela

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Candelaria

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Funny you should mention this , as their bolt pattern was the first thing I noticed about them !

I worked with someone whose daily driver was a 1970 Swinger 340 . He bought the car new in late '69 , and used it as his daily driver from day one .
He added the Cragar S/S wheels in 1972 ; said they were difficult to find even back then !

That stupid , frustrating 5x4 bolt pattern plagued "A" bodies from their intro in 1960 , through at least 1972 (Slant Six , drum brake cars had that stupid pattern through 1975 !) , with the 1968 Hurst-Hemi twins being the only exception.

Such an odd artifact that R-M would supply these exclusive-to-Chrysler-A-Bodies-bolt-pattern wheels in a Ford kit !

Adding to what You have said, Way up to 68 or 69 model darts the lug nuts on the passengers side screwed turning to the left instead of the regular screw on turning to the right. Wow, If I remember that I must be old, right?? :D

#47 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

:lol: :lol: Thanks Fellas!

Wheels are painted silver, I guess they need some paint for the center caps, though. But otherwise they look good, and especially the quality of those resin parts was perfect.

Posted Image

#48 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

I'm finally back on this one too, and I was working on the chassis. I filled that hole on the chassis, and had to make smaller hole on that piece of plastic too, because of the Gas Tank. Gas Tank (or the part if it what can be seen from underside of the car) is built from styrene and after I glued everything together, I added some MMD's Green Putty. After some sanding, the chassis looks like this. It needs lots of more work still, and that Gas Tank needs some details too, but it's slowly getting there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I started adding spark plug wires too...
Posted Image

#49 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

Niko, turn the sump around, think about where the fuel will go under hard acceleration ... it is going to go to the most rearward part of the fuel tank :)
Keep up the good work
Alan

#50 caine440

caine440

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Full Name:Roger

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Very nice work!

#51 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Guys! That Fuel Tank presents Jazz Fuel Cell, and 1:1 part looks like that. So I don't see a reason to re-do it ;) .

Ignition wires are attached now, and they turned out OK. Next I have to work on the carburetor and water pump area, to make some more progress on the engine. The chassis looks like it could be primered after a bit of sanding...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

Sometimes I am a day late and a dollar short. I just read this thread and saw mention of Cragar Super tricks. The Monogram 66 Chevelle (the black one) released in the late 70s has the most awesome set of good looking Cragar Super Tricks. That goofy looking Camaro that was released at the same time has Motor Wheel Flywheels on the front!! There were two versions of each kit released with different wheels in each one so you have to look to find the right one. They are not real desirable kits so they are still cheap. The Red Chevelle I think had Cragar S/S on it. Also, the Chevelle came with an excellent Dana 60 rear end and a nice period correct tunnel ram intake manifold and hood scoop. Those Chevelles and Camaros, as odd as they were are excellent parts kits.

#53 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

It's true, this Chevelle kit has amazing parts, and especially that engine with its parts, is very nice. Even if it's not maybe the top quality, but it's good sized (not too small) and many other kits had same engine basis too, so parts are not hard to find. I've built this kit too many, many years ago and I can say that it was very fun and enjoyable build.

Posted Image

What Camaro kit you mean? This one?

Posted Image
Or This?
Posted Image

#54 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Not a big update, but little more work has been done again. I primered the chassis to see, how much putty it still needs. It's bit rough, and needs more work before I can paint it. Also glued the carburetor on the engine, it's Rochester since these Ford Big Blocks had Rochesters originally. It's from '57 Black Widow, may not be 100% correct, but much better than Holley.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Some Fords had the Rochester Quadra-Jet, so no, the 57 carb is era incorrect as the Q-jet came on the scene in 1965. Snag one from the Rev. 72 Olds kits and bring the fuel line into the right side of the inlet. Buick, Pont, Olds Q-jets came straight in at the front.

Edited by Alan, 12 May 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#56 Mister Twister

Mister Twister

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl Raper

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Niko if this turns out like your Nova it'll be a winner also. Its good to see a model builder with a fondness for class cars.

#57 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Adding to what You have said, Way up to 68 or 69 model darts the lug nuts on the passengers side screwed turning to the left instead of the regular screw on turning to the right. Wow, If I remember that I must be old, right?? :D

Mopars had bolts that turned different directions on the wheel studs of the passenger side at least through the 1969 model year, and if I recall correctly, they did not change to clockwise tightening on all sides until the 1971 model year.

And I agree, those Cragar S/S in the '65 El Camino, Chevelle Wagon, and '65 Grand Prix and (I believe, without checking) '65 Galaxie 500 AMT kits were as nice as any I've ever seen.

Good luck with your project...TIM

#58 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thanks Everyone :D !

Alan: Thanks for the information. I spent some time with book "How To Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajets", and it looks like that '57 Carburetor (is it 4Jet?) is close enough to Quadrajet. The difference is not so dramatical in this scale. I have to fill that hole on the front of that carburetor, and make a new one to the right side, where the fuel line will be connected. So '72 Olds kit has Rochester carb too... It's a shame that I can't find them from Finland and new kit costs alot. So I will be using that one, with little modifications I try to make it more accurate.

Darryl: I'm trying to build this as nicely as the Nova. Then it's nice to have two Stock Eliminator cars next to each other B) .

#59 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Niko, was unaware of your limited availability of kits and parts ... so in your case I guess you have to use what you can and be creative.
Alan :)
Check in the "under glass" forum, there are several photo of 72 Olds engine shots that show the Q-jet in that kit.

Edited by Alan, 13 May 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#60 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yeah, the carburetor from that Oldsmobile kit looks great. I have to find one. :)

Little update. I've been working with '69 Camaro for Gumball Rally CBP, and I've had some other things to do as well, but now I managed to do some more work for the chassis. Tomorrow my plan is to sand it smooth and look if it needs still some bondo...

Posted Image