#1 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

has anyone bought this yet? i understand its a reissue of an MPC original with lots of extra parts, tonneau covers, cut down windshield etc.

please someone post a review

many thanks in advance!

#2 Len Geisler

Len Geisler

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Full Name:,

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

Not really a review, but I guess a rave....
This kit is a must have IMHO, it can be built SEVEN, yes seven different ways. Tons of speed, custom, and racing parts. I have already picked up an extra because there are just too many way to put this thing together. I am planning on building a road racer with on and a drag car with another, maybe after that......
Anyway, spend the money, I cannot see anyone who is a model car fanatic being disappointed in this one.....

#3 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

alright len thanks for the rave review, im waiting for my lhs to get them in (or back in...owner seemed confused as to whether they had them recently and sold out or what). sounds like a total winner.

#4 RJWood

RJWood

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Wood

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

Being a Corvette fanatic, I'm gonna get a few of these, Bluesman Mark's post got me all anxious about getting this one. The Bonneville Salt flats car sounds like one option for me also Mark. thanks for the review.

#5 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

yeah i picked one up after work friday and had a chance to fondle it a bit later that night (something my gf didnt dig all that much thank you very much).

really great assortment of spare parts and cool options...its a foregone conclusion i will be doing the full tonneau salt flat car or some variation there of.

one thing that i noticed though: lots of flash on the small parts. those coil springs are the flashiest (not in the good way) of them so its strange they were a later addition evidently. but i guess we are all used to flash.

some strange parts in there too...whats with that PTO winch? i didnt even notice it in the instructions. but the driver figure is muy cool and the three sets of wheels, nerf bars, two tonneau covers, two dashboards, fire and safety equipment and lots more...what a deal.

one minor problem i noticed was that the stock hood had sprue attached to it in a way its going to be near impossible to separate it without damaging the hood but the blower cutout extra hood looks good except for that big hole in the middle! :(

one of the most interesting kits ive seen in a while, for sure.

#6 RJWood

RJWood

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Wood

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:49 AM

I also got some strange parts in the Kens & leslies Cougar F.C. kit, Its a 29' Ford radiator and chrome radiator surrond? What in the world? why are these parts included? Strange.

#7 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

That's probably because MPC did a Ramcharger sand rail that was the Loghe chassis. Probably the same chassis as the cougers and I think it used a ford radiator but could be wrong.
Paul

I also got some strange parts in the Kens & leslies Cougar F.C. kit, Its a 29' Ford radiator and chrome radiator surrond? What in the world? why are these parts included? Strange.

#8 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

Paul,
I think that sand rail kit was 1/20th. MPC used that chassis in a version of their 1/20th AMX and I think an altered also. I really don't think that is where the A rad shell came from.

I have heard that AMT and MPC tooling was getting all mixed up and after enough time and changes they had piles of mold inserts laying around. It could be that the Rad shell insert fit in the hole in the tooling? I am not aware of a pairing of an A rad shell with funny car chassis in the past but I easily could have missed it.

#9 BIGTRUCK

BIGTRUCK

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Krawiec

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

I also got one and compared the two kits,,,, mine did come with [2] front working coils and [4] 2pc slicks....the original came with [4] extra headlight lenses and dont know if its right or wrong but my original has [4] firestone supremes,rather than Goodyears ,,,,,,other than that its the same...a little more flash than years ago but I love it.....
Heres the old box art............................

Posted Image

directions then and now...............................
Posted Image

#10 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

now *thats* what i call some cool box art!

#11 ramonesblues

ramonesblues

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

Ooh, it looks like it comes with the hard top!!!!. There goes my food budget for the month!

#12 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

I just finished penning my review of the kit for the next issue. Not ti repeat it all here (I be a good boy Gregg! :wink: ) but a couple of points of interest I wanted to share:

The kit has always, even way back then, had the '57 interior. You'll need to 86 the waffle patterns and rescribe all the upholstery for a '60, or even for a '59 which you can do out of this kit as well.

The air cleaners are way too small and not quite accurate for a stock '60. The louvered "pie plate" types were in vogue at the time.

Those two points notwithstanding, it's a great little kit - figuring it's almost forty years old! It may have been eclipsed in terms of state-of-the-art by the Monogram '59 (bring that puppy back boys!!!!!!!!) but it's still an enjoyable build!

#13 ramonesblues

ramonesblues

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

I bought the kit and love it, but I would rather wrestle Kirsten Dunst in chocolate pudding any day!!