#21 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

To get technical, the thread title and 1st post would suggest new parts could be used on Rat Rods but other styles must use leftovers or parts box bits only. Doesn't matter at all to me, just saying that's how it reads.

#22 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

To get technical, the thread title and 1st post would suggest new parts could be used on Rat Rods but other styles must use leftovers or parts box bits only. Doesn't matter at all to me, just saying that's how it reads.

If you wanna get REAL technical, these parts packs are 'spare parts' ;). They're sitting in the stash not doing anything, just like every other kit supplied part that they keep company with. ;) This is a model build, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that we're ok and start this beastie! *Insert 'Thumbs-Up' emoticon here*

#23 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

I agree 100%

#24 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

i dont know Bart...the way i see it, if it is a complete kit (regardless if its a vehicle or a parts pack) it is not in the partsbox

im stricktly talking about the partsbox build, not the ratrod

case 'n point, if i were to use the left over 426 hemi from my 68 charger i would be within the rules of the build
on the other hand, if i were to use a 427 cammer partspack engine then i would NOT be within the limitations of the build because its a new kit

maybe we should mention that in our introduction to the build because it will effect the way i will judge the entree :)

#25 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

What if you used the 427 cammer but used a different intake set-up out of the parts box ? It seems the rules will need to be very precise & strict or very loose & laid back. Either way it's an "honor system" situation. I have no business buying anything with all the extra parts I have. I'm quite certain nearly everyone has more than I. I will go by whatever you decide. It can be easy or hard but above all it should be fun!

#26 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

OK. I just re-read my last post; I'm not trying to be argumentative at all....however, LOL...what about Pegasus wheels? I bought 6 sets of 19" T's 5or6 weeks ago cuz I finally found a place that had them in stock. They're comparable to a parts pack engine. I'm using different tires, but what would be the ruling on packaged rims?

#27 '08SEAL

'08SEAL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:Lane Allen

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Nope, rat rod OR spare parts build. Both if ya want! BD

#28 Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Not a bad idea for a build. Dunno that I can get in because the whole "parts box build " has to hit me Not great at sittin here trying to think of something. The car has to speak to me and tell me what to do ....
This car shows ya that to be a Parts box build doesn't mean it needs to be ratted out rusted or ugly. We'll call it a little inspiration for those who think they can't get in cause they don't do rat rods.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This car came from a glue bomb vintage build. It was built into a street car using another bodies front fenders, interior from the parts box and a diecast that gave it all. the engine even has parts box stuff on it to get just the right look. Bout all thats left of the original kit is the body glass and trim. rverything else was scrounged up
http://s34.photobuck.../78 Mustang II/

#29 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Stone

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

I have all sorts of stuff for something like this, not only from my own projects but from a huge bunch of stuff I got from a guy who was getting out of the hobby about 10 years ago.

One of these days, I'm going to see the parts I sold about 10 years ago, when I got out of the hobby reappearing in models!

#30 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Okay... This is a genuine parts box build. (read what's at the bottom too)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But with context to this build, I am probably cheating. See if you can spot the clues!

Edited by otherunicorn, 20 February 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#31 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Aftermarket slant-6 ?

#32 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

One of these days, I'm going to see the parts I sold about 10 years ago, when I got out of the hobby reappearing in models!

Hey! I didn't realize you'd moved to Oz! I've used lots of the stuff and swapped a lot more of it for stuff I wanted more... At a huge profit, I might add! :rolleyes: :) :D :lol:

#33 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Aftermarket slant-6 ?

Turbo four from a Revell Mustang.

Hey! I didn't realize you'd moved to Oz! I've used lots of the stuff and swapped a lot more of it for stuff I wanted more... At a huge profit, I might add! :rolleyes: :) :D :lol:

:blink: :wacko: :lol:

Seriously though, I haven't seen a trace of what I sold (in Melbourne) and as I'm getting back into this hobby now, I keep recognizing kits that I had, and I am amazed at how many of them there were. This is just a fraction of them - and are the only photos I can find from when I sold them. I got $222 for just the parts box stuff alone. Now I have a pitiful collection of a few left over bits from someone else's builds. Not enough stuff to even build a car.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by otherunicorn, 21 February 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#34 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I paid something like $350 for over 100 kits (running anywhere from sealed to almost completed), 3 or 4 dozen builtups needing work that were generally too nice to be called glue bombs, a model box full of tires (about 10 lbs of 'em, including a couple dozen vintage whitewalls and redlines!), another model box full of various paints, a cigar box full of various decals, and plenty more. I managed to get everything into the Chevy Beretta I had at the time to get it home, but it took the whole trunk and the back seat loaded to the roof to do it. Much of the build I'm planning for this CBP will come from this collection.

#35 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

OK, small update here... I'm scrapping the smallblock chevy idea... (Well, that's one Parts Pack down...lol) I was digging around in an engine drawer and found something meaner for that drag frame... a 429SCJ with two resin Holley Dominators on a tunnel ram intake... will post pics later. ;^)

Edited by Wagoneer81, 22 February 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#36 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

I, too, have made a change. Same car concept, different style............& time period!

#37 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Jones

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

same here...been digging and finding some stuff to replace parts I had planned on using...

#38 blazefox

blazefox

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Gilmore

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Ill take a crack at this

#39 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Jones

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

got a little building done in between working on my 1:1 ride and looking for a job....here is a sneak peak at what I will be creating...all from parts box with a few scratch built pieces thrown in..there will probably be some changes through out the build, but pretty much have a design in mind and going to try and stick to it...let me know what you think...thanks

Posted Image
Posted Image
grille was full chrome, brushed on some createx black and then used the end of a clothes pin to rub away the paint on the raised surfaces...looks pretty good if ya ask me lol

#40 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Lambo power plant? Long time since I've had one of those! Looks promising.