Model Cars Magazine Forum

I decided not to let Terror (Terry Iocco) have all the fun with his Deere John buildup. :D I'd been toying with the idea for a while, but it's his fault I've officially pulled the trigger on this project! :lol:

So far, here's what I've cobbled up-

1370006933_775219_2090944615_n-vi.jpg

The ingredients to this point consist of scraps of Plastruct materials left over from previous projects, and piece of scrap K&S aluminum tube for the rear axle. The front axle and steering column are hollow styrene tube, which in their past life were the shafts of cotton swabs. Wheels, tires, and steering wheel are from a Revell Surfite, and AMT metal axles serve as wheel locators and the steering shaft. Yeah... they need a little trimming!

I'm thinking I'll use the Briggs horizontal-shaft engine from the AMT Surf Slab for power, and I'm toying around with making up a mower deck.

That's sweet Chuck . I wish ther were a few garden tractors In 1/24-1/25. I'd buy them up .

The AMT Indy Turbine car kit comes with a wheel Horse push tractor. It only need a mower deck to convert it into a lawn tractor.

Chuck great job on your tractor. If I might suggest slightly smaller front tires for a more prototypical look.

Thanks

Carl

Chuck great job on your tractor. If I might suggest slightly smaller front tires for a more prototypical look.

That did cross my mind, but I quickly grew fond of the 'oversized' (for this particular application anyway) front tires. I am planning a couple more of these, and I found a set of front tires from an MPC Zinger I think might work.

The last 24 hours of efforts...

01370006933_778237_853806419_n-vi.jpg

Cut open the grille area on the hood, and used a hole punch to make up some hub caps.

01370006933_778238_499731685_n-vi.jpg

The caps were then painted and attached, and I made up a pressed-steel style tractor seat, and set it up on a spring made from a short lenght of brass scrap.

Sweet Chuck . Was there any tractor in mind when you started this or just out of your head build?

Just out of my head ideas. The hood was sort of inspired by late '50's Ford and Minneapolis-Moline pieces, as far as the shape goes. The color scheme is stolen from an old Scott lawn seeder- I always liked the look of the dark green with orange trim

Progress report for today...

01370006933_779358_372047399_n-vi.jpg

I added a decal ammeter, and used a photoetched surround. I also used some scrap photoetch pieces to make an ignition key and a throttle lever. The 'Caution' decal is from a Moebius Hudson Hornet.

For the engine...

1370006933_779359_1221094439_n-vi.jpg

14_306258449429819_465004396_n-vi.jpg

I used one from a glue-bomb MPC Wheel Horse, and converted it to a vertical shaft type. The muffler is about the only unmodified kit part on the engine. I still need to add a starter/generator, and yes, that's another Caution label from a Moebius Hornet on the left side of the block! Waste not, want not, right?

And finally...

001370006933_779361_37398031_n-vi.jpg

Filled in the grille opening with mesh... possibly a scrap of NASCAR window net, but I'm not totally sure what it was 'supposed' to be- I just used it. B)

The AMT Indy Turbine car kit comes with a wheel Horse push tractor. It only need a mower deck to convert it into a lawn tractor.

Thanks

Carl

TRACTOR1.jpg

TRACTOR2.jpg

LOTUSKIT.jpg

This is the Tractor from that kit that I built quite a few years ago. I still have the rest of the kit (The Lotus, plus, I have a sealed kit of the Lotus and the Tractor in my "stash.)