• You cannot reply to this topic
223 replies to this topic

#221 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

hello all, hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions about the real trailers.

(btw I just bought the Moebius  Prostar, and what a kit! I really can't wait to get stuck into it!)

Just wondering with the length (53ft), why do they only have 2 axles? how much weight can they carry?

In Australia we are limited to certain trailer lengths, mainly 44ft, and the majority of those trailers have 3 axles.

just wondering as i'm now planning on getting one of these trailers to stick behind the prostar.

thanks

Depending on how the reefer is equipped - multiple zones/cooling units vs. single zone cooling unit (meaning you can separate the trailer by insulated bulkheads and operate it at separate temperatures vs. there being a uniform temperature for the entire trailer) you can put somewhere between 40,000 and 45,500lbs worth of cargo into it.  Part of the equation also is how heavy the tractor is, as the entire vehicle's gross weight can't exceed 80,000lbs.

The multiple zone trailers haul less cargo weight due to the additional weight of the internal cooling units and insulated bulkheads.

#222 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Oh and for the Great Dane "P" series trailers (formally Pines Trailers) the namplates are green.

Saw one of those once, and so far it's the only one I've ever seen with the green nameplates. It was so unusual to me that I snapped a pic, thinking it was something done to the trailer by the owner. Learn something new all the time. :D

greatdane_zps7867f83c.jpg

#223 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Actually Chuck, you have probably seen more than that one and just not realized it. Almost all of Walmart's older dry goods trailers are Pines Great Danes. They are easily recognized by having three marker lights in the body of the van, near the area of the DOT tape in the trailer you pictured. I pull at least two or three of those a week on average depending on how many dry grocery loads I haul. 

#224 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Actually Chuck, you have probably seen more than that one and just not realized it. Almost all of Walmart's older dry goods trailers are Pines Great Danes. They are easily recognized by having three marker lights in the body of the van, near the area of the DOT tape in the trailer you pictured. I pull at least two or three of those a week on average depending on how many dry grocery loads I haul. 

You might be right on- I do have to confess I've never really paid that much attention to Walmart's rigs, having worked for Meijer and all. :D

Since I actually started watching out for them, though, I've noticed quite a few more of them- I've even spotted the one in the photo a few more times since.