MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

You will stab yourself.

Posted Image

G,

What's that funky lookin' growth on your thumb ? Never saw that before ! Lol !

It is a given ... When using Microbrush applicators with super glue , it will at some point become attached to your forearm and it will hurt when pulled from said appendage !

Medical .. A deep cut , inflicted by Mr Xacto blade , can be instantly cauterized by dipping the offended appendage in clean laquer thinner ! Please be aware , while the cut will stop bleeding , the burning from said application is going to hurt like....... Insert your adjective now !

Screaming at the top of your lungs will help to dispel the pain and is not considered unmanly , swear at your own risk !
G

#22 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

When I'm cursing my wife says she has to listen carefully as I will use several different languages. She then starts laughing which really sets me off. My wife also has the ability to diffuse my rantings and start the laughter. It involves threats of physical force applied with a spatula. Very effective, if I may say so. ;)

You could hear me down the block after that one. :o

G

#23 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Several of my friends and I learned long ago how to mimic voices , this included cartoon characters ! Working together used to be hysterical for the casual observer !

These days , when I occasionally go off , Kathie will step into the doorway of the booth and say , " Hey Sybil , you and the other personalities need to quiet down " The neighbors are getting restless " ! Then she just walks away laughing !

#24 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

I've only cut myself a couple of times, nothing major, but you really have to watch out with those scalpel blades.

#25 Jdurg

Jdurg

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Full Name:Justin Urgitis

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I've only cut myself a couple of times, nothing major, but you really have to watch out with those scalpel blades.

Very, VERY true. The bad thing is, the sharper the scalpel blade is (and we all try and use the sharpest possible), the more dangerous the cut is. This is because the sharp blades will readily cut right through the flesh and not "tear" the flesh at a cellular level like a duller blade will. The result of this is that the collagen fibers needed to help get the new flesh to grow has nothing to really bind to. So those sharp scalpel blade cuts can take a long time to heal and will be easily "disturbed" which can then open things up again. The sharp blade cuts also result in more of a burning sensation to the wound which can hurt like crazy. A paper cut is an example of a sharp cut in the skin with little tearing. Everybody knows how much those hurt.

The best thing to do when you have cut yourself is to first make sure you disinfect the heck out of it. You do NOT want to get an infection, and I highly doubt that all of us store our blades in an autoclave when we're not using them. So go and get some soap and water, or some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol to clean the wound. Or you can use that ethyl alcohol hand cleaner to clean it up. Yes, this will burn and hurt for a while, but it also means that the bacteria which could cause an infection will be killed.

Next is to asses the cut. If you cut deep enough to have an artery damaged, every time your heart beats there will be a spurt of blood that comes out. If this is the case, go to the ER. You cannot treat those cuts at home. If it's just oozing out blood on you, like my cut yesterday was doing, keep everything sterile and clean up the blood. If you have some cyanoacrylate glue, you can use that and apply a little bead of the CA Glue over the wound and the reaction with the moisture in your skin and with your blood will cause it to set up VERY quickly and seal the wound shut. As time goes on, the glue will slowly crumble away as flesh replaces the gap, and before you know it you'll be back to normal. CA Glue is also called "Liquid Stitches" in the medical industry as it can be used to seal larger wounds without the need for using stitches.

Over the next few days, be certain to pay attention to the wound. Check and see if it's getting warm, or swelling up a bit, causing additional pain, or starting to emit a foul odor. Also pay attention to the area in and around the wound and not exactly right where the wound is. E.G. if you cut your thumb, check out the area around the knuckles and in the lymph nodes in your arm. If they start to swell up or feel "off", go see a doctor as those are signs of an infection. If you treat an infection quickly, you can avoid the really nasty consequences. E.G. amputation, sepsis (infection spreading across your entire body), loss of sensation in the area, and other nasty things.

The best way to prevent a cut is to be careful. Don't force things, and think about the consequences of all the actions you are doing. No need to lose a finger because you didn't pay attention to what you were doing. Difficult to build a model kit if you don't have all five fingers on both hands. :P

#26 vintagestang

vintagestang

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

The soap you use to disinfect a cut may also be Fast Orange hand cleaner which contains pumice.

#27 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Lots of unwanted things happen to me and my models during construction.

I'm sure the members here have lots of examples, but here are two of mine to get the ball rolling:

1) When scribing a panel line with the back of a No 11 blade, several passes are needed to make an impression. However, the first time the blade jumps out of the groove, a deeper gash is created in one single pass :angry:

2) Why is it that a small part prefers to stick to my greasy, oily fingers, rather than the piece it is being superglued to? :huh:

Along with this, why is it that when using superglue, the part won't always instantly stick to where you want it to be glued, however it will stick instantly to the spot it falls on when you let go hoping it sticks. :lol:

#28 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

One of my friends in the local club was opening a trunk to a NASCAR kit and hit one of his arteries in his hand really REALLY bad, 4000$ later he finished the trunk.

#29 steve7119

steve7119

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I have never cut myself that badly. I guess I have been lucky. A couple weeks ago I was working at the bench in shorts and watched the sharp thing roll off the edge toward my lap. remembering the wisdom of those sages on this forum, i did not immediatly try to catch the sharp knife with my privates, but instead spread my legs so the knife could hit the floor......blade stuck in back of my left calf on the way down. Didn't even try to explain that to my wife. just cleaned it up and moved on...

#30 vintagestang

vintagestang

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have never cut myself that badly. I guess I have been lucky. A couple weeks ago I was working at the bench in shorts and watched the sharp thing roll off the edge toward my lap. remembering the wisdom of those sages on this forum, i did not immediatly try to catch the sharp knife with my privates, but instead spread my legs so the knife could hit the floor......blade stuck in back of my left calf on the way down. Didn't even try to explain that to my wife. just cleaned it up and moved on...

The other day I dropped the knife out of my mouth and luckily I was wearing jeans or it would have stabbed into a major arterie.

#31 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

My knife rolled off the bench unseen by me. It landed tip down, and stuck in the Croc I was wearing on my right foot. Thank goodness Crocs are heavy rubber or I'd be limping. :o

G

#32 kc7wzl

kc7wzl

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Full Name:D

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

DELETED!

Edited by kc7wzl, 26 April 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#33 clavender17

clavender17

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Full Name:chris lavender

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh man lol I just had one brake in half on me about an hour ago !

#34 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,903 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is that a Beretta?

#35 clavender17

clavender17

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Full Name:chris lavender

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

looks like a camaro

#36 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,192 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

It never fails, well for me anyways,  when working on a kit that you have been waiting for, and excited about building, and it goes murphy strikes

#37 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

For those of you that followed the Zombie / apocalyptic build off . I built a Peterbilt and used razor blades for a " clearance " bar on the front bumper .

In a hurry , I reached into the top drawer of a cabinet that the truck was sitting on , knocking off the front bumper in the process . Suddenly , I hear this rapid dripping sound . Looking down , I see a growing puddle of red .

Yep ! One of my own creations bit me on the knuckle ! The shop pup just sat there , cocking his head at my antics and the expected cussing that went with them ! Lmao !

#38 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I used a Round blade X-Acto to fix something in my room and set it down.

It was on my Bed!!

I put my hand down to reach over to get up, and it came down across the blade!!.

My right hand pointer finger First knuckle.

Semi-luckily, it came up right between the hand & Thumb but Did slice!!!

I wrapped it tight with kleenex and tape, then went back to sleep. (AFTER moving the knife OFF my bed!!!

Later the next day, I went to the doctors. $175.oo and 2 stitches!!! OUCH!!

I have curt myself while building, restoring, taking one apart for resto MANY times!!

I too have dropped parts not to be able to find them.

Worst, one of the tires/hubcaps from an AMT 55 Nomad. Watched it roll.

Saw where it went, then.........................

NOT There!!!, Still not found it!

#39 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

The closer you get to finishing a model the more the Murphys come visiting.

I've learned never to say to myself "today I'll wrap this one up" - it's asking for trouble.

#40 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Sounds like some of you guys need these to keep from getting injured: http://www.monsterma...l-grip-triangle