#41 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Tiques and flea markets are usually where I go. I picked up a dragon Bette, 59 caddy, and 55 nomad all for 19 bucks.

#42 garryrenfro

garryrenfro

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Full Name:Garry

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

I know a lot of here were kids in the 50's and 60's, when kits were everywhere. I live in rural East Tennessee, and at that time it was RURAL, almost nothing open on Sunday or after 6:00 pm. But there were two country stores with in walking distance that had kits and comic books. Eight miles up the road, in the little bitty one street town of Jonesborough, within the three blocks, there was a farm supply, a grocery store, a five and dime, an auto parts dealer, a service station, a drug store, and a Western Auto hardware - all of them carried models, lots of models! The same same was true of another little town, Erwin, in the other direction. Sixteen miles away was Johnson City, with big department stores - Kesges, McClellans, Sears, Woolworths, Several big grocery and drug stores, and may favorite, privately owned Ben's Sport Shop.
Now there's only a couple of places in this part of the state that carry models, and the selection is generally dismal. I have relied almost solely on mail order since the mid-80"s.

#43 RickRollerLT1

RickRollerLT1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manri

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I once saw a meduim sized display of model kits out of all places, Fashon Bug! This was around the holiday season of 2007. IIRC, they had lots of kits like the AMT Proshop, JL packs, trucks, and 3-kit packs that KB had, along with Revell car kits that were exact to what Big Lots carried at that time! Cars were $7, trucks were $15, and the threepacks were $18. My mom wouldn't let me buy them because they were all the ones I got from KB, but there were some trucks at hawt prices I havent seen @ KB, like the KW cabover & T600, GMC Astro & Bison, Ford Louisville, Peterbilt 359, wrecker, and 352, etc. Tired telling her that there were ones I didn't get, but she didn't want to buy them cause she didn't feel like putting them on the mastercard, but spent $266 in clothes on the card anyway.

#44 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

My score was a factory sealed 1/8 scale T bucket for 20 bucks at the antique shop my me. It was the Issue with the wire wheels up front.

#45 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Its not as surprising as you might think Its just business and trying anything to make money

#46 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Over the years I have found some models in some oddball places. I remember picking up the AMT Richard Petty Ford transporter with Dodge Dart stock car at a True Value hardware store, begging my mom to buy it for but no luck. :(

There was another time where I was with my mom at a large plumbing supply company warehouse and they had a whole isle of model kits! No other toys of any kind, just those kits and the were only 2.00 a kit!!! This was back in the late eighties. I picked up two of the MPC Dodge Force 440 police car kits among others. The kits were so cheap, my mom even bought a couple for my buddy that happen to be with me at the time.

Another time, a friend and I rode our bikes up to the local International truck dealership about ten miles from my home. We were checking out the rigs and decided to go in a see if we could get some brochures. We go in and I glanced into the parts dept. and right there on the wall was an ERTL 1/32 iH 9670 snap together cabover kit! This is when it first came out back in the eighties (that kit is really rare now!) I bought the kit and the asked me "you like to build models?" I told him yes and said "follow me". We go in the back area of the parts dept to a tall double door cabinet. He opens the door and there, stacked about four feet high were all these brand new ERTL truck kits!!!!!!! I bought a few and went home. Years later after I started driving, I thought about those kits and wondered if they had any left. I drove up there and asked the guy and he told me "yeah, we've been trying to get rid of those for years!" He made me a deal and I bought about twenty kits. I was haaaaaaaaaappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was another time where a friend and I were clearing land on a ranch with a John Deere bulldozer that was a rental. We needed something for the dozer so we went back to the rental place. I was standing at the parts counter and I looked up and there, on a shelf sat two, mint ERTL John Deere backhoe kits!!!!! At the time, that kit had only been issued once and had long been out of production! I asked the guy how much they were and he says "What, oh those things, Give me 20.00 and you can have both of them! SCORE!!!!!!! I was prett happy that day!!!!

#47 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,217 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

:huh:

#48 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

When I was growing up I bought most of my models at a locally owned stationary store. During the Christmas season they sold toys in the basement but that stock was kept quite low the rest of the year and the basement usually closed off. Despite the season they always seemed to have had a nice selection of kits , mostly Frog & Airfix which was fine since I was mostly into military in the '60s. Decades later I remet the owner of the store, now an elderly man who told me that he remembered me well.

#49 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

:huh:

LOL, I totally forgot about this thread!

#50 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,217 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

LOL, I totally forgot about this thread!

The automatic bump post-merge is a bit wonky right now, so the smiley worked.

#51 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I stopped in a small town in Illinois called Braidwood. A small independent hardware store there had 2 Ertl farm wagon kits. I bought them. I still have them somewhere around here. They were the Massey versions molded in red. They have green ones for John Deere too.