#21 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Great writeup to, i have the highroller kit, but that yellow/black truck, i like that paint job, is that supposed to be a factory paint job

#22 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

There are no differences between the Chevy and the GMC interiors as I had thought earlier. I knew the GMC had no detail on the door panels,but I thought the Chevy did. I may have gotten it confused with the AMT '84 GMC. We may very well never see the High Roller versions again because the last run of the tires in the Mad Mudder were absolutely horrible. The sidewall with the lettering was badly mis-shapen in every kit I saw or had and were useless.

#23 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

gray07: I don't think any of the paint jobs depicted were ever factory options; seems GM was rather sedate with paint jobs in the '70s, surprisingly. ;)

plowboy: I just compared the Mad Mudder set of wheels I have with a set from the F-150 and they're the same with none of the defects you mentioned. Maybe I got lucky?

#24 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

plowboy: I just compared the Mad Mudder set of wheels I have with a set from the F-150 and they're the same with none of the defects you mentioned. Maybe I got lucky?

Wheels or tires??? If you got a good set of tires,then yes,you were lucky. I like the Ground Hawg tires,but I hate how the tread is backwards on the passenger side.

#25 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Luc, I can't find any pictures of that kit. If you have it, could you post one? Thanks. :)

Chris,

Here's a scan from a '84 Monogram product catalog
Posted Image

#26 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Casey: time to start researching! B)

Luc: Interesting! Looks like that kit would be a perfect starting point for a JAWS replica as it has the 73-75 roof. That gives me a starting point to try and find box art, thanks. :)

#27 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,924 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Thank you, Luc. I've never seen nor heard of the Blue Thunder Blazer until now.

I have to wonder it was ever made, though, as it looks like there are a few different/new parts, and the half-roof of the '75+ Blazers is gone, which would have required a new body mold. I wonder if it was planned, but cancelled when the showed flopped, leaving the helicopter as the only vehicle from the TV series which was released?

#28 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

I remember the helicopter kit, never saw the Blazer kit. As far as these kits, I have the original GMC pickup and Blazer (missing the mirrors, but complete otherwise), the 90s reissue of the Chevy pickup, and Madd Mudder. Looking forward to the upcoming reissue of the GMC.

Another Monogram pickup of this era is the Snap Tite GMC tow truck, which was recently reissued...I have the '90s issue of it, one thing I didn't like was how the windshield shade was molded in place.

#29 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

The wrecker was originally a Revell kit and not related to the (far superior) Monogram kits.

#30 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

The Wrecker was Originally issued in '79/80 as the "Captain Hook" from Holmes Tow Truck
I have a built Original. It was molded in black
The lightbar used Transparent decals to tint the Amber(yellow) sections.

As for the graphics on the 67-72 Era Chevy/GMC Pickup/Blazer, There use to be
a white over Yellow-Orange Suburban here in town with the same ones as in the
Boondocker & Model King issues.

As for Blue Thunder, I have an unbuilt of the Chopper, but do not remember seeing the Blazer.
(On the shelf, or the show!!)

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 08 March 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#31 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Great writeup to, i have the highroller kit, but that yellow/black truck, i like that paint job, is that supposed to be a factory paint job

Yes. RPO Z77 Sport Truck Package. It was a secondary package that was part of the Scottsdale trim level. Only available on shortbed 4x4 models, both Stepside and Fleetside, as well as Blazers.

#32 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image
The truck in the upper left corner is a Chevrolet Sport Truck.

#33 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Shoberg

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

The Sheriff's Blazer was one of my first glue models in 1982. Now I'm hit with nastalgia lately and want to aquire another or two. Even the Jimmy would work too. One to build and one to stash away in my "vault". But, for what they're selling for now a days...they're only for the vault. A buildable one, if you're lucky, is still a bit much. I've seen a few on ebay from time to time that were cheaper, but I seem to always miss it. There is one guy selling a complete kit in "parted out" listings. Haven't added it up, but I'm very sure it'll be very pricy to aquire all the parts. Wish Revell/Monogram would re-release the Blazer(Jimmy) again. THAT was a REAL Blazer. Not the S-10 version "puppy" , and I hate to say this...truck(hardly). Can't wait for the P/U w/plow comes out. I've got a set of really nice A/T tires that I've been saving for a decent 4x4 truck to replace those stupid Tracker A/T's.

#34 Terry Jessee

Terry Jessee

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

One thing about the Blazer (the burgundy one)--that tool broke in half in the door section. When they restored it, they had to retool the door handles, and they did them too small. I've been looking for an original with the right sized door handles for years.

Bob Johnson was the one who told me what had happened to the door handles, so that's probably pretty accurate.

Terry

#35 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Andy:The guy that parts out kits also sells complete ones. $120 for opened ones and $130-40 for sealed ones. :blink:

Terry: I noticed that on the Mad Mudder kit and was wondering what was up with that...

#36 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Andy:The guy that parts out kits also sells complete ones. $120 for opened ones and $130-40 for sealed ones. :blink:

Terry: I noticed that on the Mad Mudder kit and was wondering what was up with that...

TOO MUCH...And I've seen them for more than $130-$140 sealed, but they keep going back for sale because they want too much for them and nobody's buying them. Just wish Revell would listen to modelers and produce what WE want and not what they THINK we want. I've contacted a couple of model company's before with the same answer..."thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks". So, what can we do?

#37 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

TOO MUCH...And I've seen them for more than $130-$140 sealed, but they keep going back for sale because they want too much for them and nobody's buying them. Just wish Revell would listen to modelers and produce what WE want and not what they THINK we want. I've contacted a couple of model company's before with the same answer..."thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks". So, what can we do?

The problem with the model companies doing kits of what "we" want based on Ebay prices is that every time they do it, the kit ends up being a total flop. It's happened in the past. Unfortunatly, the high prices fond on Ebay and the secondary market aren't really an indicator of actual demand.
On the flip side of that, I would love to see Revell and Round 2 reissue as many of their old pickup and suv kits as they can. I know some would require retooling (Dodge longbed Sweptside) due to alterations made, but many others could be straight reissues/modified reissues (the '77 GMC for example).

#38 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Dang it Chris , ya got me thinkin i gots to do another wrecker . Yeah, I had a 76 G M C back in dallas years ago I wazzzzzz a pickin up bandoned stuff wiff. had me a Lectric winch, , Diamond tread bed, an a home built crane wiff a blinkin light right on da roof !!!!!!!!!!! Arlington Texas P D thought I was nutz, yeah , still am too ! Ed Shaver

#39 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Now Ed, that would be something to see! :lol:

#40 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

The problem with the model companies doing kits of what "we" want based on Ebay prices is that every time they do it, the kit ends up being a total flop. It's happened in the past. Unfortunatly, the high prices fond on Ebay and the secondary market aren't really an indicator of actual demand.
On the flip side of that, I would love to see Revell and Round 2 reissue as many of their old pickup and suv kits as they can. I know some would require retooling (Dodge longbed Sweptside) due to alterations made, but many others could be straight reissues/modified reissues (the '77 GMC for example).

I'd just like to see more '70's trucks...when trucks were trucks...solid axle 4x4's and no frills. I'm definately getting a couple of the GMC P/U w/plow kits when they come out.