78 replies to this topic

#41 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I really doubt that you could even pay the chrome bill for the 150k, much less even start to put a "true" copy of this car together for anything less than probably 350k. Probably more in the 1/2 a mill territory.
I think 150 would be a real deal, now if I had just won that stupid Mega Lotto. :P

#42 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

You bought the just-reissued version or an issue from the last reissue, about ten years ago? Just trying to clarify if the just-reissued version includes a resin hood or not.

Just picked one up at my LHS today. He just got them in yesterday :) Posted Image

This new version includes a STYRENE hood, as seen here:

Posted Image

Take a look at the box...contents MOLDED IN USA!!! I can't believe there is some old tooling that DIDN'T go to China! But the new styrene hood is China made...

#43 Pete L.

Pete L.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Linszky
    JSMCC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Jeff,

Would you be kind enough to post pics of the rest of the kit, I wondering if they cleaned up the molds ?

Thanks,

Pete L.

#44 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'd love to see a close up of the front tires, please. ;)

#45 Chris in Berwyn

Chris in Berwyn

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Williams

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

The McEwen rear engine dragster is also molded in the US, althought I think the box is printed in China, whereas this kit's box is printed in Poland. Amazing it is more cost-effective to print boxes in Poland than here!?! Chris

#46 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Jeff,

Would you be kind enough to post pics of the rest of the kit, I wondering if they cleaned up the molds ?

Thanks,

Pete L.

I'd love to see a close up of the front tires, please. ;)

I'll get the pics taken this evening...gotta get more done outside before the rains come! ;)

#47 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'll get the pics taken this evening...gotta get more done outside before the rains come! ;)

Like hunting Easter eggs with the kids. ;)

#48 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Like hunting Easter eggs with the kids. ;)

Nope Del...that was Saturday LOL. Sunday was spent working on the house!

#49 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Sorry for the delay...here's the pics as promised:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like the front tires are from original tooling, as they still have "Firestone" branding, and were NOT bagged "made in China" like the new, soft rears...

Posted Image

Posted Image[

Posted Image

#50 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thank you, Jeff. I see those Hot Rod series issue louvered disc hubcaps are still present. :lol:

#51 Lanny Haas

Lanny Haas

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Full Name:Lanny Haas

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I just picked up one, started building, and poor fit, lots of flash and ejector marks. instruction sheet, miss leading, at least to me. installed the rear end 3 tims, as it keep breaking off. on the good side, nice motor, body, and front tires and wheels. but in the end, those were the only parts that survied, after bouncing it off the wall

#52 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

>I just picked up one, started building, and poor fit, lots of flash and ejector marks. instruction sheet, miss leading, at least
>to me. installed the rear end 3 tims, as it keep breaking off. on the good side, nice motor, body, and front tires and
>wheels. but in the end, those were the only parts that survied, after bouncing it off the wall

ah its good to see that after 50 years, some things have not changed.

the kit sure is a patience tester, thats for sure, and i did notice a lot of flash in the photo of the chrome...means stripping, cleaning up and rechroming for those obsessive enough. myself, it will probably go more to the rat rod look.

Edited by jbwelda, 09 April 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#53 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I tried to build the 99 reissue, I got the frame together with all four wheels but it didn't survive a move. Even when built the frame and suspension is incredibly fragile and the excessive flash on the chrome parts prevents a good fit. If I was to try to build this kit again I would strip all the chrome so the pieces could be properly fitted to keep it together.

#54 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Front tyres look good, but what's with the slicks now having 7.10-15 markings (as on the skinny Revell slicks) as well as 10.00-16? :blink:

#55 Lanny Haas

Lanny Haas

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

, all the chrome should go, frame sanded, none of the attaching pins line up, really disappointed. Nice Body, will use it on a stret rod or something.

#56 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm older than this kit, & most of my attaching pins don't always line up either. It's just an age thing, if you have an extra couple of hundred grand, contact Revell, I'm sure that they will be glad to re-tool this kit up to modern standards if you want to foot the bill, as for the rest of us, it's an old kit, even with the flash problems mine has, I'm still pretty happy with it. ;)

#57 Lanny Haas

Lanny Haas

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Ive been building since i was 11, back in 1959, do the math. Only the 2 nd model i have ever got angry with, so I'm rebuilding it after my little fit....got the frame back together, (was in three pieces) redesigned the rear end. It will live again

#58 Pete L.

Pete L.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Linszky
    JSMCC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the great pics ! Looks like "same ol' same ol' " Too bad...!!!

#59 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

This kit's on my short list as a must-buy - not to build it, but as as a fabulous parts kit. Typical of Revell's over-ambitious attempts at fine detailing in the early 60's - fragile, fiddly and frustrating!!! But, like the Tony Nancy 22 Jr. double dragster kit and the various Roth show cars, the superbly represented period engine, speed parts, tires & wheels, and chassis bits add up to a kit-basher's dream. It easily passes my parts-kit price test several times over: costing no more than 6 equivalent aftermarket parts based on what's included in the box that I know for sure I'll use! I'm also glad to see the return of branded Firestone and M&H tires on current Revell releases.

BTW, Jimmy Flintstone has offered a re-pop of the body as a chopped "rat-rod" '32 Ford sedan for many years. As mentioned earlier, the body builds up nicely into a great hot rod street machine. I did one a couple of years back based on the Flintstone version and really enjoyed what it offered. So, besides all the very cool detail parts, I know I'll be gluing the doors shut and using the body! Here's some pics (click on picture for larger image):

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Bernard Kron, 11 April 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#60 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Full Name:Michael

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Ijust got mine a few hours ago
The problem I see is working with all the chrome,when you cut the parts from the trees and clean them up
you'll have exposed plastic unless you use some allclad(if you have an airbrush)
I have been using MM chrome silver butit doesn't match

I've been toying with idea of stipping the chrome and spraying it aluminum unless I can find some chrome in a can :unsure: :wacko: