32 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

What can you do to get some extra mileage out of your model kit tooling and appease model builders hungry for more off road, 4x4 type vehcles? Add some huge tires, lift the suspension, include some unique hoods and other accessory parts, and throw in some new decals, and you've got Monogram's 1/24 "High Roller" series kits from the '80s. These are in no particular order, but all were released in the mid-'80s, and only once- they have yet to be reissued.

The kits in this series include a Dodge Ramcharger, Ford Bronco, Ford F-150 Flareside pickup, GMC Wideside shortbed pickup, '69 Chevy Camaro Z/28, '70 Chevy Chevelle, and Chevy Luv pickup:

#2 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Some notes on the High Roller kits...

The Chevelle, Camaro, and Luv all used unique Goodyear Tracker A-T tires, which were different from those included with Monogram's "normal" 4x4 kits such as the Bronco, Chevy Stepside, etc., and I don't think they've been used in any other Monogram kits:

Posted Image

The suspension for the same three kits appears to be shared, and is the coil spring and trailing arm type, which isn't super-realistic, but it did get the vehicle high enough to clear the larger tires.

All High Roller-series issues have unique decals (compared the the "normal" versions Monogram released) and some have additional/unique parts such as light bars, winches, custom bumpers, hoods, etc. I'm not going to double up on Chris' already excellent Chevy/GMC , Ford , and Dodge Ramcharger kit topics, but I would like to read/see more about the Chevelle and Camaro kits if anyone has something to share. Info on the Chevy Luv kits can be found HERE .

#3 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Remember seeing a real Malibu just like the Monogram kit, in the mid '90s, near Montrose CO.

#4 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Cool info Casey, i have the f150 and the GMC also i have the front and rear suspention out of the chevelle

#5 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

OK, Here are my Malibu & Camaro built Many Years ago!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I built the "Mad-Mailbu" Box Stock, but painted over the black
plastic with Testor's Sapphire Blue Metallic.

The Camaro I added a rear seat that Monogram did not include in the kit
(I took it from a parts Jo-Han 68 Fury Police!!)
The Camaro is painted Purple Metallic with a white interior
I am curious if the one part in this kit was am Alarm siren, or a Police/Fire siren.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rims/tires & Suspension are Identical between the 2 cars

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 24 March 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#6 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Someday I'll get all the High Roller kits... someday... B)

#7 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

i just about blew coffee through my nostrils when i first glimpsed that Camaro in all its box art glory there. :P

anyway i take it no one ever nominated those models for "best box art" then?

nice work on the finished models above, they came out great despite it all! and yeah some of those guys build awfully funny cars to get through their muddy cornfields!

#8 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

That wasn't a siren, it was one of those Ahh-ooga horns Ala Fords model A. These would go over well in today's "Red neck" off roader types, & the Chevelle & Camaro could be Donks if the used a different tire & wheel combo. :lol:

#9 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

Posted Image

I've always been curious how these wheels came to be. They are stock Ford wheels that you rarely see in the real world. I wonder if these were in the first stock version of the Bronco? Was the original release Bronco even stock or did it make it's debut as a High Roller? Either way,they, along with the other High Roller wheels that fit the 44" tires haven't been seen again except when they reissued the Pulldozer Blazer.

#10 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

The other thing I find odd is the wheels included with the Chevelle and Camaro, which appear to be closer to 17" diameter wheels, based on how close the wheel lip comes to the tire lettering. Compare the Chevelle and Camaro wheel to those included with the Luv and you can see the difference (at least I think I can :huh: ). I'm pretty sure all three used the same Goodyer Tracker A-T tires.

I wonder if this was the first time Monogram labelled the Chevelle kit as a "Chevelle" instead of a "Malubu SS" as in previous stock versions? I know the "Heavy Chevy Chevelle" was first issued in '85 or so, so who knows why the name changed to what everyone referred to the kit as anyway. :D

Posted Image

Edited by Casey, 25 March 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#11 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

I've always been curious how these wheels came to be. They are stock Ford wheels that you rarely see in the real world. I wonder if these were in the first stock version of the Bronco? Was the original release Bronco even stock or did it make it's debut as a High Roller? Either way,they, along with the other High Roller wheels that fit the 44" tires haven't been seen again except when they reissued the Pulldozer Blazer.

I have yet to see an example of the 1:1 wheels and boy would I like to! The wheels for the Ground Hawg tires have an extra lip on them due to the tires being hollow. There was an earlier issue of the Bronco (see my history thread) and AFAIK it only had the stick chrome steelies. Worth noting, however, is that the issue of the Bronco with the slotted mags includes the decals from the High Roller.

#12 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have yet to see an example of the 1:1 wheels and boy would I like to!

This is the best I could do, but I searched a week ago and found someone selling a set of these wheels on a Bronco/Ford forum, but can't find it now...

Posted Image

#13 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

We need someone here that has the Bronco High Roller to loan Casey one of those wheels to reproduce for his growing catalog of COOL wheels! ;)

#14 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Those wheels on the broco are cool. Edsel-Dan is there any way you could post a picture of the frame and stuff on the camaro and chevelle.

#15 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

I will try to dig them out asap, and take a few pic's of the undersides of them.

Also, if possible, I will look for the instruction sheets for them too.
(Yea, I Kept ALL those!!)
Just have to find the big box they are in now!!

#16 wraith

wraith

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Full Name:Darrick Aulner

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

All very cool and interesting info!
On a side note the Chevelle and Camaro just need 24" fancy wheels and low pro tires and you have a DONK! lol!

#17 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

I would really like to have one of those little High Roller Luv trucks! I've got a little two wheel drive stepside build that I took the fender arches from the fleetside bed and molded them to the stepside fenders. It was the first model I built after my back surgery and I didn't do a very good job on the window trim because my hands shook a lot. Plus,I have the entire chassis and running gear from a CJ-7 laying around. I'm thinking it's time for a rebuild!

#18 oter11

oter11

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Full Name:stian h°iby

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

parts from ford f-150:
Posted Image
Posted Image

parts from chevelle:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

I would love to see the frame on the chevelle, i have all the suspention out of the chevelle, and iam just wandering if i could use any 1/24 chevelle model or is the frame made for the 4x4 stuff

#20 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for those pics, Stian. Posted Image