60 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,308 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

These are all (I think) of the 1/20 scale MPC '68-'74 Ford van kits, so if I've missed any kits or if I got the chronological order wrong, please speak up.

• 1970 Ford Econoline Chateau Club Wagon, which could be built stock, as a pit crew wagon, or an ambulance
  • 1971 Ford Econoline, again with three building options
  • Ford Van Customzing Kit, the '73 annual kit, also with three building options
  • Ironside Van, a replica of the van Raymond Burr's character Robert T. Ironside drove in the TV show Ironside
  • Wizard Ford Custom Street Van from 1981
  • Visible Van, which included clear-molded cargo door and roof panels:
  • Supervan- Super-sized, super-custom Ford van, kit number 3061, released in 1976
  • High Jacker Off-Road Custom Van, kit number 1-3063
  • Slammer Ford Van, kit number 78-3064-250, from 1976

#2 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Neat...I'd love to have one of the stock ones. There is another custom one, molded in dark blue...builds as a 'paddy wagon'...it was called the 'Slammer' IIRC...

Edited by Rob Hall, 29 March 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#3 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Nice compilation. I really like these posts showing the history of these old, reused kits. I remember some of them. Those Desert Dog tires actually fit this 1/20 scale kit - they were tossed into a few 1/24 kits as well and the wheels always looked too big.

My favorite is the Ironsides van - love the 70s treatment of the interior and the raised roof.

#4 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,308 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thanks, Rob, I edited the list.

It really is pretty amazing (and frugal?) that MPC got eight kits out of this tooling, and though it was definitely modified and the model morphed into full customs in later releases, it's still quite an accomplishment.

I would love to see one of the earlier versions return, but being 1/20 scale and considering the tooling might need some serious backdating, I'm not sure that will ever happen.

#5 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Any idea which was the last version? Kind of give us an idea of "what" the tooling is now?

#6 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,308 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Any idea which was the last version? Kind of give us an idea of "what" the tooling is now?

No, but my guess is the Visible Van. The cusotm versions all have post-General Mills MPC logos, but the Visible Van version seems to have unique sidepipes which are different from the earlier dual sidepipes.

#7 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Casey, if you need pics of the instructions of the slammer van and i think i still have the insrtuction to the supervan.i built the supervan years ago, still have it, i have 4 slammer van still in boxes, and i just picked up the ambulance van that needs work, so if you need pics let me know i might beable to help.

#8 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I also have an Unbuilt Slammer!!
Paid $8.oo at a Flea market some years ago

I have a Built Ironsides, and built an Annual as an Ambulance Way back when
I want to say 72, as it was still a Window van, not the Cargo version shown as the 73 or 74 issue.

I have some of the Yellow 71 annual parts, and a parts lot to restore too.

#9 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

I really like this style of van, its really funky. Just wish it was 1:25 scale... :(

#10 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

I never knew these awesome kit's existed. I thank you for the knowledge, but my wallet aches just thinking what the early annuals cost now. I will add these to my grail list.

#11 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I never knew these awesome kit's existed. I thank you for the knowledge, but my wallet aches just thinking what the early annuals cost now. I will add these to my grail list.

Some of these kits are on the slightly expensive side, but not all. The SuperVan can be had for $30 to $40. I think the odd scale hurts the overall demand. Still, they are cool.

Edited by Erik Smith, 30 March 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#12 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

Some of these kits are on the slightly expensive side, but not all. The SuperVan can be had for $30 to $40. I think the odd scale hurts the overall demand. Still, they are cool.

I just assumed that they were over 100.00 for most of them based on the age of the kit's. Thanks for the info, I will have to keep an eye out for some of them.

#13 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

The blue Ford Van Customizing kit is the 1973 annual. There's also a 1974 annual. The "Supervan" has a 1976 copyright. I'm pretty sure "The Wizard" was the last one released around 1983 or '84, but I'm not 100% positive.
Posted Image

#14 kingiguana

kingiguana

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Zaborsky

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

1/20th Why why why ? If only these were 1/25th.

#15 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Found the instructions for the Slammer van and the Supervan.
Slammervan kit no. 78-3064-250, copyright 1976 Fundemimensions Inc. A division of COG Products Corp.
Supervan ---Kit no. 3061, cpyright 1976 Fundimensions Div of General Mills fun group, inc
If you need anymore info, let me know

#16 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

Could someone PLEASE make one of these in 1/25 scale? I'd love to have a kit of one of these vans, but I don't want the 1/20.

#17 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for the info Don and Darrin. ;)

I'm still puzzled why MPC chose 1/20 scale, even though it supposedly provided more "value" due to the larger scale.

The story I got was George Toteff was originator the 1/20th scale kits and really believed they would catch on. He later went over to Lindberg in the 90's and tried to revise the 1/20th scale kits again. Too bad he didn't stick with 1/25th scale. I think they all would have sold much better !!

Steve

#18 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

It seems like you could do more detail wise when you go larger in scale if you wanted to, but I'd imagine a F/S van in 1/20 must be hugein comparison to anything 1/24-1/25.

#19 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

I had one of those kits back in the day, got it as a gift from a family member that didn't understand the difference between 1/20 & 1/25.

I used the rear tires for a crude pro street '69 Camaro I built from an old Monogram kit about 30 years ago. I think I have them and the front tires still in the spares box.

I wasn't aware the Vantom was being reissued too; I knew about the Vantasy van from AMT.

#20 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I wish they would do more big scale kits, i have the 1/16 scale vans to,