#41 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Stone

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

This very car labelled as "Pontiac Torpedo Silver streak - 1948" in a different photo from the same shoot.

Posted Image

http://commons.wikim..._1948_-_008.jpg

Edited by otherunicorn, 07 April 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#42 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Anyone can put a photo online and name it anything they want to name it, correct or not.

I have to assume that Pontiac knew what they were selling when they printed their 1948 sales brochure. There is no mention anywhere of a "Silver Streak" model.

#43 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

There's no mention of "Silver Streak" anywhere in the 1948 sales brochure.

Harry is correct in this! "Silver Streak" was a slang term invented decades ago to describe Pontiac's with those chrome "silver streaks" down the hood and trunk.

Incidently, that silver streak trim motif was developed by an entrant in the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild contest back then. His name? Donald Burnham, who later grew up to become the CEO of Westinghouse in the 1950's (GM retained the right to use any styling motif presented on a FBCG model entered). Don Burnham grew up in the house next door to where I grew up in West Lafayette IN--his Dad was the longest serving mayor of WL, something like almost 40 years.

Art

#44 otherunicorn

otherunicorn

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Stone

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm not arguing the matter - just pointing out the photo. Personally, I didn't have any idea what the car was and submitted no guess.